Page 99 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 99

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    ^ what she said!

Jac
    Jac is online now Senior Member
    Gawd, there aren't enough exclamation marks in the universe to handle all your news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You rock, Em!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Thank you ladies!

Working tonight, I'm gonna head out for a hike soon. It's windy and cloudy and it may rain, but I'm waterproof! I'm also stir-crazy after the school holidays, so I'm going out regardless of the weather.

Pete's coming over later, he got back from Sydney last night and can't hold out till tomorrow night to see me. Hopefully he'll put me to bed for my sleep this afternoon, ifkwim? He's been gone over a week and I'm a little frustrated!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Pete's coming over later, he got back from Sydney last night and can't hold out till tomorrow night to see me. Hopefully he'll put me to bed for my sleep this afternoon, ifkwim? He's been gone over a week and I'm a little frustrated!
    Yes I think we know what you mean!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    ^ What she said
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    LOL, well I hope you enjoyed your reunion! :-)

And great on the additional loss! It's nice to finally find that sweet spot, isn't it?
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Just stopping in to say

WOOHOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    LOL, well I hope you enjoyed your reunion! :-) ?
    Oh.... I did!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Oh.... I did!
    LOL. Hubs will be home in a month or so... and we're planning a week vacay about a week and a half later. I CANNOT WAIT!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Howdy folks.

I have been holding off on posting as I had such a horrible experience on Wednesday that I wanted to get some perspective before I posted on it.

I had to make up a day of clinical practice as one of my placements ended on the Easter weekend and I couldn't work on Good Friday. So they put me in a community clinic that has exercise physiologists, dieticians, psychologists, nurses and physiotherapists.
    So my luck, I get stuck with the dietician all day. I have never had more trouble keeping my mouth shut than I did that day. I needed her signature to approve my placement for the day so couldn't afford to argue but you can imagine the sort of crap this apple-shaped overweight dietician was coming out with.

Example - A lovely, independant relatively healthy 73 y/o lady comes in. She is looking for advice to stay healthy and mobile so that she can "age well." She's a little overweight (BMI 29), has some osteoarthritis, cholesterol that is considered high by CW but for a woman over 60 is actually protective of cancer and stroke. Also her HDL/LDL ratio was awesome. She has good BP 130/85, is physically active, walks 4-5km 3 times a week, volunteers at the local hospital and has an active social life.

She likes to buy a rotisserie chicken once a week and lives off that, eats a fair bit of fruit and veg, likes her bread a bit too much for mine and she enjoys the odd cream cake, loves her butter (goes through about a pound over 4 weeks) and she likes to moderately salt her food.

She takes glucosamine and fish oil for her arthritis, half an aspirin a day for CVD/Stroke risk reduction but otherwise is medication-free.

So, what do you think the advice was for this lovely, pretty healthy lady who is basically trying to minimise inflammation so that her arthitis doesn't limit her activities?

1) Cut salt out of your diet. Why? She doesn't have hypertension and doesn't eat processed or junk food. Her only salt intake is the little she adds to her meal.
    2) Swap the butter for a margerine made from Sunflower oil. When the lady mentioned her concerns about margerine because it is "full of chemicals and if you leave it outside, nothing eats it" was told that this is a myth and all it is "is Sunflower oil, with things added to make it solid." Right, those "things" are the fucking chemicals the lady was worried about!!
    3) Make sure you take the skin off that chicken and always remove the fat from meat, don't eat any cuts that are marbled like ribeye and eat low-fat cheese very sparingly.
    4) Have the cake without cream to cut out the 'saturated fat.' No mention of the fact that the cream will slow down the absorption of the carbs or that the sugar in the cake is more of an issue.

So, in summary: In order to lower your CVD risk, decrease inflammation and "age well" you have to increase your intake of Omega 6 fats, remove salt from your diet entirely, cut out all saturated fat and, at 73, remove any enjoyment that you may still get from your food.
    The sad thing is that this woman is actively looking to improve her health and live an active, productive life and she will follow this advice and she will get worse as a result.

By the end of this session I was sitting on my hands and bouncing around in my seat and my BP was through the fucking roof! I was absolutely livid on behalf of this woman. It's bad enough to think about this stuff in theory, knowing what the medical profession is telling people. To actually have to sit there and listen as some lovely lady is told to make changes in her life that will MAKE HER WORSE was intolerable. I went to the bathroom afterwards and cried (I cry when I'm angry) for her.

Pete was furious when I was telling him about it, he kept saying that I need to go into business to educate people, but I don't know if I have the strength to take on the whole system and I really don't know how one would go about it. Aside from becoming a Nurse Practitioner and starting my own practice (which would take years and be very expensive), I can't see what I can do.

It's just another reason why I want to get into perioperative nursing, I won't have to give out statins when I don't agree with them, I won't have to refer diabetic patients to dieticians that I KNOW will make them sicker and I won't have to be a part of this horrible system. It feels cowardly and like I'm copping out, but I didn't get into nursing to become a trailblazer and I don't know if I could handle fighting the system every single day.

Bleh! I feel like shit again now. It really was an awful day.

I'll post on happier and unrelated things going on in my life later, this post is already something of an opus!