Page 61 of 151 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 61

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like an absolutely lovely weekend.

Food sounds good too. Sunday dinner, hellz yeah- LOL!

Gotta see about getting me one of those bands. Been too lazy to attempt pull-ups for a while. Are you seeing improvement with the bands?

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Like everyone else has said, you're making great progress! I also think it's wonderful that you discovered that carbs are for you and now you know what works.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Saturday night we had a movie night and watched 4 episodes of Man Vs Wild back-to-back. The kids love it, I think it's pretty cool although a lot of it is pretty contrived. He was swimming across a river in the Everglades in one episode and the kids were saying "what if an alligator gets him?" I had to explain that the sharp shooter in the boat that you couldn't see would shoot it. It is pretty cool watching him eat really gross stuff though, some of the things (such as alligator, snake and turtle) I would certainly munch on. Ants, scorpions and grubs though? Uh yeah, I've got enough fuel on my arse that I'll survive just fine without them.

My Army Wannabe Son has ALL his DVD's

Good luck with your practical assessment, although I don't believe you'll need my luck

D: 100g dark chocolate and 1/2 a bottle of wine. Mmm, not the best choice but I wasn't really hungry.
    iLike your dinner
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Sounds like an absolutely lovely weekend.

Food sounds good too. Sunday dinner, hellz yeah- LOL!

Gotta see about getting me one of those bands. Been too lazy to attempt pull-ups for a while. Are you seeing improvement with the bands?
    I love my woody band! Since I can just about shrug my shoulders when I hang from the bar unnassisted and nothing else, the band is allowing me to actually work the muscles that need to get stronger in order to progress. I have my foot in the band at the moment and I can do full push-ups like that. I reckon I'll give it one more week then I'm going to start using the band with my knee in it. I can only get my forehead up to the bar using my knee so this'll make me work harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    Like everyone else has said, you're making great progress! I also think it's wonderful that you discovered that carbs are for you and now you know what works.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Good luck with your practical assessment, although I don't believe you'll need my luck
    Thanks W'n'C!

Well, it's done. I won't find out if I passed until later this week. I got airway management and I think I did ok. There wasn't anything glaringly obvious anyway. We shall see...

I'm having my coffee killing time till I have to leave for work. I managed to get some sleep this afternoon which makes a pleasant change.

I've been thinking... When one's body finally gets it's shit together and starts utilising stored fat for energy, do you think you would naturally get less hungry? It makes sense to me intellectually that if you have a good bit of fuel on your body (and you've all seen my backside now! ), if you're burning it for energy, you would require less energy in the form of food, right?
    I'm asking this because I seem to have kinda gone off food. I don't feel unwell, in fact I feel great, but I'm really not hungry. I'm satisfied on very small amounts of food. I've been serving myself normal sized portions and leaving 1/2 to a 1/3 uneaten. I go to the fridge and gaze at it's contents for 5 minutes because it's 'time to eat' and wander away, uninspired (I have plenty of deliciousness in my fridge btw).
    I'm hoping that it's because I'm getting a goodly portion of calories from my own fat stores and I'm trying not to see this lack of hunger as a good or bad thing as I don't want to get all discouraged if suddenly I want to eat an entire bbq chicken. I'd be interested in your opinions though.

Ok, off to work... good-night all.

I got a toil!!!

I got a call just as I was getting dressed, apparently we're overstaffed so they offered me an ADO... Woohoo! Free money!

Only thing is I'd just finished my pre-work double espresso with cream so it looks like I'll be awake all night anyway.
    Ah well, I can work on my assignment....
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 04-04-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking... When one's body finally gets it's shit together and starts utilising stored fat for energy, do you think you would naturally get less hungry? It makes sense to me intellectually that if you have a good bit of fuel on your body (and you've all seen my backside now! ), if you're burning it for energy, you would require less energy in the form of food, right?
    I find my appetite has changed over the course of being Primal, which for me is only 7 months. When I first started doing VLC and hit ketosis in mid January, I could go with 900 calories every other day and feel like I was powered like Liquid Awesome™.

Then Feb hit. I think I was still in ketosis but became keto-adapted... maybe? I dunno. Regardless, my appetite returned but progress kept steady. I just ate more of what I had been eating.

Nowadays, though, I only fast through breakfast and that's about it. Also, it's probably not even officially fasting since I have about 3/4 tbsp of coconut milk in a huge-ass cup of coffee in the mornings. I just find I'm ravenous when my two mealtimes arrive. That said, I also force myself to do little exercises during the day that I don't count as play, LHT or anything like that. For instance, if I'm standing in the kitchen, I stay on my toes to work my calves. If I'm on the phone, I do one-handed planks off my coffee table, switching arms as I go. When I go down the hallway in one direction, I Grok crawl; in the other direction, I do lunges. Stuff like that. So that might be contributing to my appetite.

I think you might be on to something, though, with the fat stores/fat burning thing. The body might feel it has enough to go off of and your appetite reflects the body's desire to use what it has, allowing you to do more with less. Could actually explain my own hunger better: as I get closer to what my body considers its ideal body weight, it has less to use and so it's telling me I have to eat more.

Hmmm... I'm very curious to hear what others have to say about it. Hell, in another month, I might be subsisting on unicorn farts and leprechaun whimsy. Who knows?
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Suse is offline Senior Member
    great stuff on getting the free shift! nice! I have no idea on the body fat thing, it's all a mystery to me... I guess if you're appetite is decreasing a bit then naturally the body will want to use fat, but why does the appetite decrease. Mine did at the beginning, which was a bit of a mystery cause really I just dont eat huge amounts anyway (sugar and overload of carbs were probably the reason for my weight gain). Interesting that today I havent had breakfast cause I am not hungry at all from all my eating yesterday, now this is highly unusual, normally I would be ready to gnaw my arms off by now if I hadnt had breakfast. I'm starting to get a little grumble in my tummy though, will see if I can run with it until lunchtime.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Woohoo! Yay for the free shift! I bet you'll make good use of the time.

I love my woody band! Since I can just about shrug my shoulders when I hang from the bar unnassisted and nothing else, the band is allowing me to actually work the muscles that need to get stronger in order to progress. I have my foot in the band at the moment and I can do full push-ups like that. I reckon I'll give it one more week then I'm going to start using the band with my knee in it. I can only get my forehead up to the bar using my knee so this'll make me work harder.
    Cool! It's on my wishlist now. I still haven't tried the sheet & chair modification. I seem to find 15 other things to do every single day. I'll never get to a full pull-up at this rate.

I've been thinking... When one's body finally gets it's shit together and starts utilising stored fat for energy, do you think you would naturally get less hungry? It makes sense to me intellectually that if you have a good bit of fuel on your body (and you've all seen my backside now! ), if you're burning it for energy, you would require less energy in the form of food, right? I'm asking this because I seem to have kinda gone off food. I don't feel unwell, in fact I feel great, but I'm really not hungry. I'm satisfied on very small amounts of food. I've been serving myself normal sized portions and leaving 1/2 to a 1/3 uneaten. I go to the fridge and gaze at it's contents for 5 minutes because it's 'time to eat' and wander away, uninspired (I have plenty of deliciousness in my fridge btw). I'm hoping that it's because I'm getting a goodly portion of calories from my own fat stores and I'm trying not to see this lack of hunger as a good or bad thing as I don't want to get all discouraged if suddenly I want to eat an entire bbq chicken. I'd be interested in your opinions though.
    Honestly, I have no freakin' clue. By time I think I have my body figured out, I realize I don't. It does make sense though, and when your body is finally making the most efficient use of the food you're eating, there's no reason to eat more than you need.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Interesting theory...It makes sense...I wonder...

I hope you enjoyed your bonus night
    How long did you stay up???
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Liquid Awesome™.

Also, it's probably not even officially fasting since I have about 3/4 tbsp of coconut milk in a huge-ass cup of coffee in the mornings. I just find I'm ravenous when my two mealtimes arrive. That said, I also force myself to do little exercises during the day that I don't count as play, LHT or anything like that. For instance, if I'm standing in the kitchen, I stay on my toes to work my calves. If I'm on the phone, I do one-handed planks off my coffee table, switching arms as I go. When I go down the hallway in one direction, I Grok crawl; in the other direction, I do lunges. Stuff like that. So that might be contributing to my appetite.
    No doubt! Oh by the way, I believe the thought is that the benefits of fasting come from protein restriction and the autophagy that occurs when you're not eating any protein, so cream and the like in your coffee does not break your fast. So say Johnny from The Lean Saloon and Paul Jaminet from The Perfect Health Diet anyway.

I think you might be on to something, though, with the fat stores/fat burning thing. The body might feel it has enough to go off of and your appetite reflects the body's desire to use what it has, allowing you to do more with less. Could actually explain my own hunger better: as I get closer to what my body considers its ideal body weight, it has less to use and so it's telling me I have to eat more.
    This certainly fits in with the theory doesn't it?

Hmmm... I'm very curious to hear what others have to say about it. Hell, in another month, I might be subsisting on unicorn farts and leprechaun whimsy. Who knows?
    I believe that should be the ultimate goal for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by bone_machine View Post
    Dig the pics. I spy some slenderizin and posture improvements. Lookin' good, Em - keep it!
    Thanks Lady Bone! Yer looking mighty fine yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    great stuff on getting the free shift! nice! I have no idea on the body fat thing, it's all a mystery to me... I guess if you're appetite is decreasing a bit then naturally the body will want to use fat, but why does the appetite decrease. Mine did at the beginning, which was a bit of a mystery cause really I just dont eat huge amounts anyway (sugar and overload of carbs were probably the reason for my weight gain). Interesting that today I havent had breakfast cause I am not hungry at all from all my eating yesterday, now this is highly unusual, normally I would be ready to gnaw my arms off by now if I hadnt had breakfast. I'm starting to get a little grumble in my tummy though, will see if I can run with it until lunchtime.
    Yeah, I dunno either, but it's a good working theory for now.

Wow, fasting through breakfast, that's gotta be a first for you right?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Honestly, I have no freakin' clue. By time I think I have my body figured out, I realize I don't. It does make sense though, and when your body is finally making the most efficient use of the food you're eating, there's no reason to eat more than you need.
    Interesting theory...It makes sense...I wonder...
    Me too... I guess weigh-in at the end of the week will show whether my theory has merit. If I'm burning fat instead of eating, I should lose weight right?

I hope you enjoyed your bonus night
    How long did you stay up???
    I did! I got about 30% of my paper written. I turned the light off at about 1am but it took me a while to sleep. According to my Ipod sleep cycle thing, I slept like the dead from 2 till 4.30 and then had a very restless morning, which feels right. I remember tossing and turning a fair bit. Too much caffeine and cortisol in my system for night time. I'll make up for it tonight.

Well, not only did I get a bonus night, I get a bonus morning! Normally I'd be asleep now till at least 1pm (it's 9.50am here). So I'm going to make good use of this time, I'm going to take Charlie out to the dog beach while it's still reletively cool (it's going to be 34*C again today... roll on cool change!) and then try and finish the first draft of my paper.
    I also need to try and find time to work-out. I didn't do anything yesterday because I was working on my paper. I know I shouldn't make excuses, but something's got to give right? Unfortunately when something has to give, it's always my workout. I know I can't sacrifice my school work but clearly I don't make exercise enough of a priority.

This must change!!

Ok, I will walk, workout and then work on my paper.

Eats yesterday:
    B: Coffee with cream
    L: Protein shake with coffee and cocoa flavour - Should have been delicious, tasted in fact like arse. I won't be doing that combo again! Gluten-free bread with liverwurst pate. (This made up for it )
    D: Last of the leftover lamb, rice and spinach soup.