Page 47 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 47

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    L
    Wait what's this suggestion on pull-ups? I SUCK at pull-ups and really need help.
    Iniquity made us another video on the Pull up Challenge thread. (He is such a dear) It's kind of hard to describe but check out the vid.

Em, I feel your ankle pain all the way up here in the northern hemisphere. I have screwed mine up numerous times over the years. I really think hiking in the VFFs is helping to sprain-proof my ankles by strengthening the support muscles, tendons, and ligaments around them.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Winencandy- I absolutely LOVE my nook. E-books are awesome.

Paleobird- Thanks! I will check it out when I get home.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    LOL Em... sorry... yes full blown grown-up dude push ups. I'm in the middle column. Rank 2 then? It's HARD. I find myself having to repeat days at least once. I'm improving, albeit slowly. You'll totally be doing dude push ups before ya know it.
    Ya know, if I didn't love you, I'd really hate you right now! I am nowhere near a full push-up, I get my upper arms anywhere near parallel and I just cannot get back up! I did day 2 on my knees but still had to use a step (about 9inches high) in order to get them done. I think I may mix up my days on this challenge so that I do one day on my toes with the bench and one day on my knees with the step. They seem to both work well but a little differently.

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I've been debating getting a Kindle, but I'm not sure if I'd like it.
    I know I can't read on my iPhone4 for very long, it bothers my eyes...
    What's it like to read??
    The kindle has this awesome e-paper technology that makes it exactly like reading from a paper book. It's not backlit at all, so there's no eyestrain. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Em, I feel your ankle pain all the way up here in the northern hemisphere. I have screwed mine up numerous times over the years. I really think hiking in the VFFs is helping to sprain-proof my ankles by strengthening the support muscles, tendons, and ligaments around them.
    Yeah, I feel better already! This injury used to take me off my feet for a week, but one day later and I did a full night shift without even being strapped up! I credit the barefoot beach walking with the extra strength.

So, work was good. Crazy Italian lady was still on the ward but she wasn't mine last night, thanks goodness! I had a nice, easy sane bunch of people to look after.

Eats:
    B: Scrambled eggs and tuber-hash, coffee with cream
    L: Last of the leftover taco meat (thank god) with a whole head of broccoli and 2 roasted baby potatoes
    D: 2 hard-boiled eggs and a coffee with cream
    Overnight: Lamb, rice noodle and bok choy soup. Mmmm, am gonna make that again, it was yum! 2 squares 85%

I haven't eaten anything yet today, Pete's cooking pork stir-fry tonight so I'm saving my appetite.

Exercise:
    Hold onto your hats people..... I did my NROLFW workout! It's only been about a month since my last one!
    I have serious DOMS in my butt and quads from the lunges though (which I did holding a bar to support my ankle).
    I also did day 2 of the push-up challenge and I attempted to do Iniquity's assisted pull-ups. Fail! I need to strengthen my lats first I think. I'm still miles away from pulling myself up in any shape or form.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Hey do you have the tuber-hash recipe I am thinking i need to up my carb levels a bit as i don't have much energy!

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post

Exercise:
    Hold onto your hats people..... I did my NROLFW workout! It's only been about a month since my last one!
    I have serious DOMS in my butt and quads from the lunges though (which I did holding a bar to support my ankle).
    I also did day 2 of the push-up challenge and I attempted to do Iniquity's assisted pull-ups. Fail! I need to strengthen my lats first I think. I'm still miles away from pulling myself up in any shape or form.

HOORAY!! also, there is nothing worse than ButtDOMS.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Hey you, take care of the ankle! That's an order...

I am doing my pushups on a counter right now... blerg. But... I want to make sure my form is good while I get stronger, and build the tri's up. I haven't done the 100 pushup challenge thing though it's crossed my mind a bit... might have to check it out.

I LOVE my kindle!! Same reason, I'm usually reading multiple books and it makes it so easy to travel. And... instant buying! No waiting for the weekend to go to the store, or waiting for books to arrive! Though..I do still get some regular books as not all are available on kindle, so I mix it up.

Hope yer Tuesday shift went well!!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    this sounds strangely kinky!

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Yay for ButtDOMS!

I gotta try that pull-up thingy too. He makes it look too damn easy- lol

Thank goodness Crazy Italian Lady was somebody else's problem. Big sigh of relief eh? I guess it's crazy ladies like that, that makes you appreciate a few moments of sanity.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahz View Post
    Hey do you have the tuber-hash recipe I am thinking i need to up my carb levels a bit as i don't have much energy!
    Easy, one large onion chopped, loads of garlic, one large orange sweet potato peeled and chopped, one large purple yam/sweet potato peeled and chopped, two large beetroot, peeled and chopped. Put in a large pan with a decent glug of fat, I used ghee. Cook for ages stirring occasionally until it is mostly broken down. Season to taste. This makes a lot, but it's handy to have in the fridge, I just throw a ladle full in a pan and warm it up when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    So true! Everytime I sat down I yelped.

Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    I am doing my pushups on a counter right now... blerg. But... I want to make sure my form is good while I get stronger, and build the tri's up. I haven't done the 100 pushup challenge thing though it's crossed my mind a bit... might have to check it out.
    I think this is important, there's no point doing it harder if you're not doing it properly. I like the 100 push up program because it starts real slow, so therefore I can do a harder level (like the low step) because I only need to do anywhere from 2 to 6 reps in the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    this sounds strangely kinky!
    It does a bit.

I gotta try that pull-up thingy too. He makes it look too damn easy- lol
    Yeah he does, I was gutted when I still couldn't do it!

So I posted yesterday that I was IFing during the day because Pete was cooking. Turns out that he bought the wrong kind of chilli's, these things burned like fire. He made this beautiful dinner and I literally couldn't eat it, I was in severe pain from one bite! I ended up having some cheese and rice crackers as he hadn't been shopping and that's all he had in the house! Poor bugger felt so guilty!

What was interesting though was that I had no problems fasting through the day. It wasn't a real long fast as I had my 'lunch' at 3am at work, but still 3am to 7pm isn't bad at all. I was listening to Art De Vany on an Underground Wellness podcast yesterday and he said something that resonated with me, well he said several things that did actually, but this in particular. He was talking about routine and how we have been told that routine is necessary for us. You know the eat 5-6 small meals or have the same eating window everyday or workout at 6am three times a wewk, whatever the message is. What he was saying is that our bodies need unpredictablility in order to function best. He talked a lot about challenging yourself and mixing things up and not letting yourself get too comfortable. Maybe it's my ADD tendancies coming out again, but this appeals to me and makes a lot of sense.

His basic prescription is don't have one! Eat your good foods but mix up when you eat them. Don't eat every meal at the same time, don't IF at the same time. Mix it up! Workout when you have the energy to do it and rest when you feel lazy.

Another thing he talked about is that human beings are genetically programmed to overeat and be lazy. It makes evolutionary sense that you will eat as much as you can when you can and then sit on your arse to conserve all that new energy. You're not going to move until hunger forces you to get up and go find something to eat. This makes so much sense to me and helps explain why we have such a problem these days with overweight and underactivity. Because there is never any shortage of food (in our lucky parts of the world anyway), we never have that real hunger that stimulates us to move. I'm probably not explaining it very well, I highly recommend you download the podcast and have a listen, it's very interesting.

Anyway, my take-home message from this is: I'm not going to have a routine (you have no idea how much I love the sound of that ). I will IF sometimes, I might skip breakfast or lunch or both, or I might eat all day and then skip dinner, or I might eat 5 meals in one day. I will base it on how I feel. I will workout when I want but I will always do it on an empty stomach. So that may mean that I work out in the morning, before lunch or at night.

My energy levels are really coming back. I think the meds, the starch, the stars-in-alignment and the universe are finally all working out for me. I feel good, I want to exercise again, my appetite is under control, I'm getting less sleep but it seems to be of a higher quality because I'm not tired all day (except on Monday/Tuesday cos of work). I also (although, of course I'm not really thinking about this... ) think I'm losing bodyfat. I refuse to get on the scale anymore than once a month, I really don't want to go there again. But the old favourite test (how does my belly look) seems to be giving me good news.

Eats yesterday:
    B: Nada, sleeping
    L: Coffee with 1T cream, 3 brazil nuts
    D: One mouthful of fire-infused stir-fry, handful of rice-crackers, some cheese, black olives and about 50g of 85%. Oh and half a bottle of red wine.

Exercise:
    Rest day. I think 10 hours on my feet is enough for a Tuesday.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    you know a bit of chilli is supposed to be good for fat fighting I love chilli, especially when it makes my eyebrows sweat!

Art de Vany's advice sounds good. I think it is a great idea to mix things up.