Page 43 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 43

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dysfunctional bowel movements are the story of my life. Lately, I've discovered that coconut exasperates it :/ whiiiich kind of sucks. Apparently, some people just can't handle it. Dunno if that's the case for you (best b.m.'s I have of late are when I go crazy on food things which is...suspicious)

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I hope you feel better soon.

What is coconut butter????
    Thanks W'n'C Coconut butter is basically creamed coconut, same stuff you made your hearts with.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Em, did you have thyroid tests--TSH, FT3, FT3 run when you recently saw your doctor? I ask because diarrhea can be a symptom of too much thyroid hormone.
    I would be worried about that if this hadn't been going on for way longer than I've been taking Armour. I didn't have thyroid tests this time, I'll be getting some next visit. I also don't have any other symptoms of too much thyroid hormone, still have low pulse, low temp, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    So out of curiosity... how hot is it there? I'm giddy it's 40*F here.

Oh, and I did a quick search for air fare from here to Oz. Holy crappola! I better get saving.
    It's nearly 40*C here! It is bloody hot but cloudy and humid too, all the cyclone activity on the coast is playing havoc with the weather!

Yes, save those pennies girl!

Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    Dysfunctional bowel movements are the story of my life. Lately, I've discovered that coconut exasperates it :/ whiiiich kind of sucks. Apparently, some people just can't handle it. Dunno if that's the case for you (best b.m.'s I have of late are when I go crazy on food things which is...suspicious)
    Damn! I was kinda thinking it might be related to the coconut too. I do eat a fair bit what with the spoonsful of coconut butter and nearly a tin of coconut cream a day in my coffees. Damn, shit, bugger! I guess I'd better give it up for a coupla days and see if anything improves.

I spent last night reading up on The Perfect Health Diet. If you haven't heard of it, it's very much like primal, except the focus is on more starchy carbs, less protein and plenty of fat. Sort of a 20/10/70 C/P/F ratio. They still don't allow grains (except rice), but they suggest you get all of your carb calories from starch such as potatoes, rice, taro, etc but don't include your vegie carbs in your carb count. The lower protein recommendation was something that interested me as my last labs show that I have rather high uric acid levels. I know that this can be caused by high fructose consumption as well as high protein, but as someone who may eat fruit once a week, if at all, I'm thinking my levels may be due to too much protein. I really don't know, but I do feel like I eat too much meat sometimes. I ate a steak the size of my face the other day and felt pretty crappy for 24 hours afterwards.

Reluctant as I am to tweak my diet at the moment, I do know that I need to eat more carbs. In Bali, I was eating rice or rice noodles everyday, loads and loads of vegetables and moderate amounts of meat and I felt terrific. I didn't have the bowel issues that have plagued me for months and I had stacks of energy. I come home and go back to low-carb, high-protein (not really deliberately, it's a default setting for me) and hey presto, my bowels go crazy and my energy levels drop.

So, keeping in mind everything I've said about not trying to lose weight, because that is NOT my focus right now. I am going to make an effort to level out my protein/carb percentages, maybe not 20/10 like The Perfect Health Diet suggests, but maybe more like 15/15 with fat making up the balance of my intake.

That shouldn't be that hard to do really. If I look at my old plate where half of it is taken up with meat and the other half with green veg, my new plate will be perhaps a quarter full of meat, half-full vegies and the other quarter some starch, be it sweet potato, rice or white potato with plenty of fat on all of it. I'm not going to start tracking and counting calories or macronutrients again, but merely aim for that plate ratio with every meal.

What do you guys think?

Anyhoo... So far today, the bowels are quiet, that being said, I haven't had breakfast yet, just my coffee (with cream rather than coconut), but usually my coffee is all the trigger I need to hit the potty, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Got a call from my Ma last night. Another low-pressure system is forming off the coast up there and is threatening to turn into a cyclone again. She is just so tired of being scared that she's booked a seat on a plane and is getting the f@#k out of dodge. Thank God! She arrives here tomorrow morning and is staying till Thursday. Yippee, I get to hang out with my Mummy!! I haven't seen her for months so I'm quite excited, as are my kids. They just adore their Nana

Date night tonight, Pete and I are goin out for Vietnamese at our favourite little place and then heading to the outdoor cinema to see Black Swan. Should be a lovely night. It's my treat tonight so I've warned Pete that he's going to have to put out as it's the least I expect for paying for our date, lol.

Eats for yesterday:
    B: Lamb and kale in masala over a small baked potato
    L: Pork belly strips grilled with smoked paprika... OMG! Nom-nomz
    D: Last of the lamb neck stew over a pile of green beans, dayam that was good, is gonna become a favourite I think, I love how some of the cheapest cuts make the best meals.
    S: coconut coffees, pork rinds and olive tepenade, some 85% (some... um... well... um... actually a whole 100g bar... oops).

Exercise:
    It's just too damn hot, that's my excuse, so there.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Hey I have always had high uric acid levels aswell no matter which type of diet I have followed. My doc reckoned it was stress from exercise which I shrugged off because he has always had this thing about me going to the gym, but it sure is interesting!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Do you have your gallbladder? Your diarrhea issues sound like mine pre-primal. I think, at least for me, it's related to eating grains without a gallbladder. Case in point-- I went to dinner with my sister Wednesday night. She urged me to try the bread. Even though I told her that bread wasn't one of my diarrhea worthy choices (occasional pizza is) I caved and tried a very small bite. I had diarrhea several times the next morning.

I also commend your choice to up the carbs. I'm a firm believer that VLC (under 50 grams/day) over the long term interferes with thyroid function--specifically T4 to T3 conversion. I think it is based on the brain's need for glucose as well as the additional stress put on the body to get to/stay in homeostasis.

My own experience has taught me that weight loss will not/can not happen until you've given your body time to heal. Taking the focus off weight loss and putting it on making healthy choices, on a daily basis, has made a world of difference for me.. A nice perk has been a 60+lb down grade on the scale.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I spent last night reading up on The Perfect Health Diet. If you haven't heard of it, it's very much like primal, except the focus is on more starchy carbs, less protein and plenty of fat. Sort of a 20/10/70 C/P/F ratio.

Reluctant as I am to tweak my diet at the moment, I do know that I need to eat more carbs. In Bali, I was eating rice or rice noodles everyday, loads and loads of vegetables and moderate amounts of meat and I felt terrific. I didn't have the bowel issues that have plagued me for months and I had stacks of energy. I come home and go back to low-carb, high-protein (not really deliberately, it's a default setting for me) and hey presto, my bowels go crazy and my energy levels drop.

So, keeping in mind everything I've said about not trying to lose weight, because that is NOT my focus right now. I am going to make an effort to level out my protein/carb percentages, maybe not 20/10 like The Perfect Health Diet suggests, but maybe more like 15/15 with fat making up the balance of my intake.

What do you guys think?
    Try it. If you think you need more carbs and you felt good eating that way in Bali, what can it hurt to try it?

Got a call from my Ma last night. Another low-pressure system is forming off the coast up there and is threatening to turn into a cyclone again. She is just so tired of being scared that she's booked a seat on a plane and is getting the f@#k out of dodge. Thank God! She arrives here tomorrow morning and is staying till Thursday. Yippee, I get to hang out with my Mummy!! I haven't seen her for months so I'm quite excited, as are my kids. They just adore their Nana
    Wonderful!!!!

Date night tonight, Pete and I are goin out for Vietnamese at our favourite little place and then heading to the outdoor cinema to see Black Swan. Should be a lovely night. It's my treat tonight so I've warned Pete that he's going to have to put out as it's the least I expect for paying for our date, lol.
    heehee

S: some 85% (some... um... well... um... actually a whole 100g bar... oops).
    I can still see it
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's any harm in making adjustments to your diet as you need to. If lowering your protein is what your body needs, nothing wrong with that.

Glad your mom is getting out of town and spending some time with you. It's a huge relief for both of you.

I hope your digestive issues get better. Shoot, I wouldn't complain if I had to eat a sweet potato more often. Those things are just yummy. I think I'm going to have one tomorrow. It's been far too long. And really as far as foods go, you could certainly do a lot worse than potatoes.

What about quinoa and wild rice? Perfectly Primal options as well.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I spent last night reading up on The Perfect Health Diet. If you haven't heard of it, it's very much like primal, except the focus is on more starchy carbs, less protein and plenty of fat. Sort of a 20/10/70 C/P/F ratio. They still don't allow grains (except rice), but they suggest you get all of your carb calories from starch such as potatoes, rice, taro, etc but don't include your vegie carbs in your carb count. The lower protein recommendation was something that interested me as my last labs show that I have rather high uric acid levels. I know that this can be caused by high fructose consumption as well as high protein, but as someone who may eat fruit once a week, if at all, I'm thinking my levels may be due to too much protein. I really don't know, but I do feel like I eat too much meat sometimes. I ate a steak the size of my face the other day and felt pretty crappy for 24 hours afterwards.
    That's interesting. I came across this journal article while doing research on adiponectin, and it talked about having a carb ratio of 20% being beneficial. Made me think of going that way for a bit if I could be bothered to sit down and do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahz View Post
    Hey I have always had high uric acid levels aswell no matter which type of diet I have followed. My doc reckoned it was stress from exercise which I shrugged off because he has always had this thing about me going to the gym, but it sure is interesting!
    Funny huh? Oh btw, I saw your ball photos... beautiful dress and you looked stunning! Where are you hiding this extra bodyfat you say you want to lose, cos I sure couldn't see any?!

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Do you have your gallbladder? Your diarrhea issues sound like mine pre-primal. I think, at least for me, it's related to eating grains without a gallbladder. Case in point-- I went to dinner with my sister Wednesday night. She urged me to try the bread. Even though I told her that bread wasn't one of my diarrhea worthy choices (occasional pizza is) I caved and tried a very small bite. I had diarrhea several times the next morning.

I also commend your choice to up the carbs. I'm a firm believer that VLC (under 50 grams/day) over the long term interferes with thyroid function--specifically T4 to T3 conversion. I think it is based on the brain's need for glucose as well as the additional stress put on the body to get to/stay in homeostasis.

My own experience has taught me that weight loss will not/can not happen until you've given your body time to heal. Taking the focus off weight loss and putting it on making healthy choices, on a daily basis, has made a world of difference for me.. A nice perk has been a 60+lb down grade on the scale.
    60lbs! That is phenomenal. I have to lose about 40-45 I reckon (I already lost 70 over the last 5 years), but like you say, I'm just going to focus on wellness and health and I'm sure the weight will follow when it's ready.

Oh, yes I do still have my gallbladder. I really think that it is my consumption of a large amount of coconut products that does me in. I seem to be fine with the oil, but the cream and butter seems to go straight through me. Yesterday, I ate some oil in a smoothie but no other coconut products and voila.... happy bathroom time.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I don't think there's any harm in making adjustments to your diet as you need to. If lowering your protein is what your body needs, nothing wrong with that.

Glad your mom is getting out of town and spending some time with you. It's a huge relief for both of you.

I hope your digestive issues get better. Shoot, I wouldn't complain if I had to eat a sweet potato more often. Those things are just yummy. I think I'm going to have one tomorrow. It's been far too long. And really as far as foods go, you could certainly do a lot worse than potatoes.

What about quinoa and wild rice? Perfectly Primal options as well.
    Good thinking, I have a fantastic quinoa salad recipe too! Wild rice I'd have to experiment with, I've never cooked with it before.

Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    That's interesting. I came across this journal article while doing research on adiponectin, and it talked about having a carb ratio of 20% being beneficial. Made me think of going that way for a bit if I could be bothered to sit down and do the math.
    I can't really be bothered with the math either, hence the plate percentages. I figure eyeballing it will be good enough.

I had to read up on adiponectin a little, but I have to say that it sure would be helpful to have some of that floating around.
    From wikipedia "Levels of the hormone are inversely correlated with body fat percentage in adults" Nice!

So yesterday was a carb-up day, at least by my usual standards.

Eats:
    B: Blueberries, spinach and coconut oil smoothie
    L: Salmon and avocado sushi roll
    D: Beef and potato curry, stir-fried vegetables in garlic, these amazing rolls of minced shrimp and pork wrapped in thinly sliced beef fillet and covered in sate sauce, and rice (Vietnamese restaurant). Bottle of cider at the movies.
    S: 2 coffees with double cream.

It was all yum and I feel really good today. I slept like the dead last night too, which I sometimes have trouble with after a I eat a dinner heavy in protein. Although my meal had 2 meat dishes last night, as a %age of my plate, it still formed only about 1/4 as I'd planned. It felt good and I didn't feel stuffed to the gills either. So call day 1 of my experiment a success!

Black Swan was freaky, one of those movies that leaves you feeling a little disturbed for a while afterwards, but I did enjoy it. Natalie Portman is such an amazing young actor, although she must have had to do some serious leaning out to play this role. I now also have a girly crush on Mila Kunis, she is HOT!

I'm off to the airport in a minute to get my Ma, yippee!

I fasted! I didn't mean to or intend to but I wasn't hungry when I woke up, so I just had my coffee. Went to get my Ma and bought a white coffee on the way. Got home, thought 'mmmm, not hungry, I'll wait till I am.' 3pm and I finally thought 'yes, that's hunger!'

Holy shit, who would've thought that eating more starch and less protein would have a better effect on satiety than the other way around!

I'm stoked, I haven't been able to IF comfortably at all since starting PB and I would love to add it in once a week or once a fortnight.