Page 42 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 42

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    and yes at times the forums get a bit ugly. I do not understand why people just cant accept that someone else has a differing opinion and get over it. Not that I've seen a lot of madness since the SV days.
    Yes, that's true, it seems a lot better these days. I just wish people could stop with the name-calling. If you don't like reading it, step out of that thread and don't go back to it. That's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I take thyroid meds in the morning, iron before lunch and the rest of my vitamins, including calcium, at bedtime. Iron is the one I tend to forget.

Calcium needs to be 4 hours away from thyroid meds AND 4 fours away from iron as well. It is definitely a juggling act to get everything in appropriately.
    Yikes, I think I'm going to have to start setting alarms as I have been put on a twice-daily dose of iron now given my super-low ferritin levels. I was taking calcium in the mornings, so I'd better switch that to night-time too. I don't think I'm going to be able to manage 4 hours though now I'm on twice daily doses of thyroid and iron. I'll just have to space them as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    What did I miss?
    It's in a thread Malpaz started where people are sharing their 'first-time' stories. One poster was (in some people's opinion) too graphic in his description of his first time which occurred when he was very young with a likewise very young girl, now the accusations of paedophilia are flying around as if that's a perfectly reasonable thing to call someone with absolutely no reason. Personally I find that accusation far more offensive than the recalling of a first-time experience. Maybe it's just me. I'm taking my own advice now and staying away from the thread.

Salmon TAIL? As in the tail, tail? Makes me curious.
    The bit just before the tail. I didn't eat any fins, it's just the bit of the fillet that stops at the tail. I like this cut because it has the most skin and I lurves me some crispy fish skin

Chocolate messes with your sleep? I was wondering if mine was messing with my sleep, but then I thought "Nah, it's all in your head." Maybe not...
    As far as I understand it, there's a substance in chocolate called theobromine which is a 'caffeine-like' substance. I believe there is some caffeine but it's a tiny amount. Because we eat 85%, there's more of these substances in it. I've definitely noticed that I get a little hyped-up after eating 85% so I need to make it an after-lunch treat rather than an after-dinner one I thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Who said we were sane??
    You're all my kinda sane, which means intelligent, reasonable and just left-of-centre enough to be really interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    So interesing about your T4 levels. If you don't need T4 I'm wondering why you're taking any? If your T4 seems to be in range and it's a conversion issue, than it seems to me (in my oh so humble NOT medical opinion) that T4 only therapy would be more in order as well as looking at things that might be keeping you from converting properly. Giving you more T4 that you're not converting can be problematic, because your body MAY store that extra T4 as Reverse T3 which tells your body to store fat and takes up the receptors you need to absorb your T3 so it's even less effective. Not that it WILL do that, but in some people it does...
    T3 only meds are not covered by our Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme here in Australia, which means that my doctor has to get approval from the national body in Canberra to prescribe them and they're ridiculously expensive. Something he is cogniscent of due to my single-mum, student status. He believes Armour is the best middle ground between efficacy and affordability. He's going to test my T4 and T3 levels next visit to see how I'm coping with the supplementation and we'll evaluate it from there I guess.

So, I had my docs appointment last night. We went through my blood results and here's what's up.

My uric acid levels are high, which means my kidneys are not working quite as well as they should. Something related to thyroid insufficiency apperently.

My insulin levels are great, but I'm hypoglycaemic. I'm going to have to read up on that and see how best to time my meals and what amount of carbs I need to keep that under control.

I have high (though not coeliac levels) of gluten antibodies and am therefore medically gluten-intolerant. I thought this was so, but is nice to have it verified. He basically said, keep doing what you're doing but tighten up on the easy-to-miss stuff like sauces.

My haemoglobin levels are low and my ferritin is very low. This is also related to my thyroid issues and is another reason why my energy is in my boots most days.

My vitamin D levels are excellent, as are my liver enzymes and surprisingly my cortisol levels were fine too, so I'm not as adrenally strung out as we thought.

So, he has increased my Armour to 1 and 1/2 grains in the morning and another 3/4 grain in the afternoon. In 6 weeks he wants me to increase again to 1 1/2 grains twice a day. He has also put me on DHEA, Melatonin and a fairly aggressive level of Iron supplementation. He seems to think that the combination of increased sleep (from the melatonin), increased iron levels and increased T3 levels will be the start of a cure for me. I'm excited to see if he's right.

Interestingly, when he did a physical examination of my thyroid gland, he reckons he couldn't really feel it at all. He asked if I was sure I had one! lol. He also seems to think that's I've been hypothyroid for quite a long time. I have an elevated TSH reading from '96 and my iron levels have always been an issue, so maybe he's right. Thank God, I didn't stick with my old GP who ignored all these abnormal labs for so many years!!

So, all in all I'm happy with that visit. I really feel like I'm going to be able to get all my ducks in a row this year. I'm putting weight-loss on the back-burner for now and am going to focus on getting well. Sleep, good nutrition, supplementation and some light exercise with a little lifting is what I'm going to make sure I get this year. Hopefully by the end of 2011, I will be a new woman

Eats for yesterday:
    B: Coconut coffee
    L: Sliced lamb, kale and masala
    D: Ribeye steak and BAS made by my lovely man. Had a few beers too as my last hurrah before cutting gluten completely out of my life.
    S: Coconut butter with a drop of peppermint oil (OMG! Divine!), couple of pork rinds.

Exercise:
    Um.... maybe I should just stop posting about this......

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    So, all in all I'm happy with that visit. I really feel like I'm going to be able to get all my ducks in a row this year. I'm putting weight-loss on the back-burner for now and am going to focus on getting well. Sleep, good nutrition, supplementation and some light exercise with a little lifting is what I'm going to make sure I get this year. Hopefully by the end of 2011, I will be a new woman
    YES!!!!

Um.... maybe I should just stop posting about this......

No worries. Listen to your body and when you are ready, you'll know.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Suse is online now Senior Member
    wise girl. I wouldnt be surprised if weight loss just comes about naturally anyway as a result of getting your health in order. You look great in your Bali photos so I wouldnt worry anyway. I should get my iron levels tested actually as I often feel that I have no energy... its usually b12 thats a problem for me.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Sun and Bone (hey that sounds like a good name for a pub, wanna meet at the Sun and Bone later for a beer? he-he ).
    Hehe - good one. I'll be there as long as I can get some (marrow)bone and some sun (Vit D)

Glad you and yours are well! Good on the doc, and yay for salmon!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear your visit went well! He sounds like he's covering all the bases which rocks, and bummer about the T3 but I get it. I forgot you were in australia and for some reason they have issues with that there. Britain's getting crappy for thyroid disorders as well...

With the timing.. I just say do the best you can. You know? But don't stress too much about it. Interesting about the iron levels... I think I might have some of that going on as well... will see at the next visit!

And wierd about the thread name-calling. I've been ignoring a lot of threads anyway, just posting when I think I can add something of value and sticking to the journals. But, yes... you're right, throwing a word like pedophilia around is not at all cool. But people throw psychiatric diagnoses around in general anyway without really knowing what they mean. People in general also seem to have a hard time viewing sexuality in those "under age" without thinking it's wrong or inappropriate. Frankly I think that's why so many peoplel have NO idea of what goes on with sex regarding pleasure... which is what leads so many people to spend so many years sexually unfulfilled even in loving relationships. We teach the mechanics as if that's all there is and it's insert tab a into slot b. Sad, really.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

peril is offline Senior Member
    Good to see you've found a GP you can work with. Think you are right to focus on wellbeing first. I expect that getting well and eating well means weight will look after itself
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I am feeling crappy today. This may be TMI so back away if you feel the need.

However, I don't think I have had a solid BM in months. I seem to have permanent diarrhoea. Some days it's just loose stools with no other symptoms and then there's days like today where I have bloating, gurgling and the need to go every 5 minutes! I wish I knew what was causing it because I am sick to death of it!

Anyway, let's move on

It is another scorching hot and humid day here in Perth. This weather really sucks. It's just too hot to go out and I am becoming stir-crazy from being indoors all the time. There's no end in sight either, the forecast for the week has more of the same.

So, generally feeling sorry for myself today. I'm hot, sweaty, bloated and pissed off

Eats for yesterday:
    B: Lamb and kale in indian masala, coconut coffee
    L: Decaf latte at the hairdressers
    D: Lamb neck stew
    S: Coconut butter, slice of cheese, pork rinds and olive tepenade, glass of raw milk (I was hungry).

I need to be more organised with my food. I am not eating enough vegies and I tend to be skipping a meal everyday and then picking at stuff because I'm hungry when really, I should just make myself a damn meal! The lack of vegies and consequent lack of fibre may have something to do with my digestive issues too, although I still had them when I was eating loads of veg. However, it's got to be worth a try.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    I hope you feel better soon.

What is coconut butter????
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    However, I don't think I have had a solid BM in months. I seem to have permanent diarrhoea. Some days it's just loose stools with no other symptoms and then there's days like today where I have bloating, gurgling and the need to go every 5 minutes! I wish I knew what was causing it because I am sick to death of it!
    Em, did you have thyroid tests--TSH, FT3, FT3 run when you recently saw your doctor? I ask because diarrhea can be a symptom of too much thyroid hormone.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Aww, I hope you feel better Em!

I've had that happen, but never more than a day or two. I really have no idea. Google is a wonderful tool for just such inquiries though.
    http://altmedicine.about.com/od/gett...d/a/stools.htm

Heh.

So out of curiosity... how hot is it there? I'm giddy it's 40*F here.

Oh, and I did a quick search for air fare from here to Oz. Holy crappola! I better get saving.