Page 35 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 35

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Agree with marcadav (as usual!). I know it's frustrating (believe me I do!!), but really getting "healthy" is going to most likely need to be your focus right now. Getting on your meds and letting it get into your system, and then making the adjustments as necessary first takes time.

I do not do well on low carb either. I shoot for 75g... so try to get over 50g and stay under 100g. That seems to be good for me. But it's a trial and error thing.

Sending good vibes your way! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    You know I wonder sometimes what the hell I'm going to do with myself when I finally get to a body composition I'm happy with. It's been such a huge part of my life for so long that it's going to leave a rather large hole in my life when I don't have to think about it any more!!

Anyway, now for the good news....

9 days, 0 hours and 23 minutes till Bali!!
    We're women, we'll never be happy with our body composition!!!

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    All you guys totally rock, you know that? Thanks so much for the advice and support. I think Marcadev hit the nail on the head saying that I need to focus on getting well before I worry about weight loss. Tbh I am just sick of thinking about it. I ate some rice today and had sweet potato fries so my carbs were much higher than usual. Not surprisingly to anyone (except me!) I had much more energy today.

So that's it. For the time it takes to get my hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue under control, I'm going to stop thinking about weight loss. I will eat well and workout when I have the energy, but I'm not going to make weight loss my focus anymore, I'll be happy to just maintain.

So today I went and exchanged some money to US dollars and Indonesian Rupiah (need the dollars for the visa). I also bought a couple of cool strappy dresses and some tank tops for the trip. I'm getting a bit excited

Eats:
    B: Roast duck, pork and chicken with rice and green veg at a asian roast meat place
    L: Sweet potato fries and some coconut butter after
    D: Baby octopus, clams, prawns and mussels cooked in garlic ghee over mixed greens

Exercise:
    Nothing, call it a rest day

Sleep:
    Went to bed at 8.50pm last night, fell into the sleep of the dead and didn't stir till 6am. Felt soooo good.

That's all folks!

Countdown to Bali... 7 days, 6 hours and 35 minutes!!

Have managed to get my girlfriends twin daughters to come and house/puppy sit for me while we're gone which is a huge relief. Saves the kennel fees and gives me the peace of mind of knowing that my house isn't standing empty for a week.

Slept for just under 8 hours last night, wasn't enough I don't think but I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep Feeling tired and cranky today, though that's likely related to PMS. Fekking hormones!

I feel like I need to work-out, it's been 5 days since I did any heavy lifting; but just the idea of lifting makes me tired! I just feel so exhausted! I was reading some info about thyroid treatment on the 'Stop the Thyroid Madness' website last night and they said that it's quite common to have an exacerbation of symptoms after starting thyroid meds as your thyroid will start working less due to the higher T3 levels. I think this may be what I'm experiencing. Also my doc did say that this dose he's put me on (3/4 grain twice daily) is probably a quarter of what I'll end up needing so I guess I just have to accept that I'm a work in progress.

I have a strange craving for scrambled eggs at the moment! Every meal it seems all I want to eat is scrambled eggs with some ghee and a little sour cream. It's like a compulsion!! Weird huh!? Not a great start to my efforts to increase my carb levels I'm trying to resist it, but every meal this little voice says "have some scrambled eggs....!" maybe I should just have them with sweet potato fries and just go with it.

Think I'm going to head down the beach with the pupstar. I need to clear my head and move my body (no heavy lifting though... Nooooo!).

Have a lovely Friday

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I also believe that anyone with active thyroid issues should strongly rethink VLC. Issues with conversion (T4 to T3) can be exacerbated by "starvation". Thyroidmanager.org states that "starvation" has a correlation with carb intake. The threshold as listed on TM is 50 grams of carbs/day.
    Avoiding carbs makes the body go into the same metabolic pathways as starving, and to rephrase what Dr. Michael Eades says in one of his blog posts:

starvation and carb restriction are simply the polar ends of a continuum

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/k...m-and-ketosis/
    It's a great article that I learned a lot from in my initial stages of low carb dieting.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Great advice about the carbs and healing! Em, I'm hypo too, as they removed mine completely. Make sure you get enough of selenium and iron to help in the uptake of the meds! I find I actually lose more weight with some carbs. Just not carb overload.
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just4ME View Post
    Great advice about the carbs and healing! Em, I'm hypo too, as they removed mine completely. Make sure you get enough of selenium and iron to help in the uptake of the meds! I find I actually lose more weight with some carbs. Just not carb overload.
    I'm finding a lot of hypothyroid peeps need a bit more carbs. Not HIGH by CW standards for sure... but definitely in the 50-100g range.

Sweet potatoes rock! And Em.... seriously... roast sweet potato mashed with some ghee and scrambled eggs... totally my favorite go to breakfasts and YUMMY! And usually fills me up for HOURS.

I am jealous of your trip, but will be sated with many many pictures of happy smiling people on vacation.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    Avoiding carbs makes the body go into the same metabolic pathways as starving, and to rephrase what Dr. Michael Eades says in one of his blog posts:

It's a great article that I learned a lot from in my initial stages of low carb dieting.
    Thanks Sun, that was a really interesting article and a great site. Somehow I've managed to miss that one although I've heard of Dr Eades.

Quote Originally Posted by Just4ME View Post
    Hi J4M! I eat 3-4 brazil nuts for the selenium and I was supping iron but I stopped. My doc has ordered my ferritin levels checked with my most recent blood work but maybe I should start with the supps again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    I'm finding a lot of hypothyroid peeps need a bit more carbs. Not HIGH by CW standards for sure... but definitely in the 50-100g range.

Sweet potatoes rock! And Em.... seriously... roast sweet potato mashed with some ghee and scrambled eggs... totally my favorite go to breakfasts and YUMMY! And usually fills me up for HOURS.

I am jealous of your trip, but will be sated with many many pictures of happy smiling people on vacation.
    Oh I am so having that for breakfast, that's sounds amazing!!

Not sure if they'll be "many, many" pics from Bali. I mean how many pictures can you take of people doing nothing but eating, drinking, getting massaged and sleeping in?

Countdown to Bali... 6 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes!

Eats:
    B: Scrambled eggs with sour cream and ghee
    L: Rice crackers and pate (I know, not great, but I had a craving)
    D: Pork rind nachos. Found a new and very simple recipe for mexican beef and it was delicious! Topped some pork rinds with the beef, some salsa, sour cream and a little grated cheese.... OMG! Delish

Exercise:
    Took Charlie to the beach and walked up and down twice, then had a splash about in the ocean. It was quite choppy and rough so I couldn't really swim, but it felt glorious.

Gave myself a bit of a stern talking yesterday. Because of my lack of energy, I've been hibernating a little in the house, only going out for necessities and I've been feeling miserable! The weather here is perfect at the moment high 20's to early 30's, perfect blue skies and cool breezes and I'm sitting indoors... Don't hate me Northern hemisphere folk who would kill for my weather, I know it's awful!
    So, I was walking along the beach yesterday, watching Charlie frolick in the surf, feeling the warm sun on my shoulders and thinking that I'm a fekking idiot for not taking advantage of this beautiful place I live in. So I made a commitment to myself that I am going to get out of the house for an extended period everyday. Being out in the sunshine is such a mood booster and I really need to take advantage of it.

So today, the BF and I are taking our kids to Whiteman Park. It's a great place with lots of cool things for the kids to do. Free barbeques, bush-walks, a pool, an old steam-train ride and lots of grass where the kids can run around and play. Tomorrow I'm going to take my guys to the beach. My house is a mess, but it can wait

Here's something. I've been taking my Armour first thing in the morning and again at about 1pm. Usually by dinner-time I'm falling asleep on my feet. Yesterday, I was out at 1pm and didn't get to my second dose till 4pm and I felt great all evening! Had energy to make a nice meal, chat with my kids and even clean up afterwards! Normally dinner time is just something I have to get through because people gotta eat. I think that I'm going to take my second dose later from now on. When the doc ups my dose, I may even take it 3 times a day. i think that would work perfectly for me.

Have a great weekend

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if they'll be "many, many" pics from Bali. I mean how many pictures can you take of people doing nothing but eating, drinking, getting massaged and sleeping in?
    not very many
    Besides, if you take it to the swim up bar, you have to watch it...

D: Pork rind nachos. Found a new and very simple recipe for mexican beef and it was delicious! Topped some pork rinds with the beef, some salsa, sour cream and a little grated cheese.... OMG! Delish
    I bought pork rinds a few weeks ago and they are still sitting in my cupboard...

Took Charlie to the beach and walked up and down twice, then had a splash about in the ocean. It was quite choppy and rough so I couldn't really swim, but it felt glorious.

So, I was walking along the beach yesterday, watching Charlie frolick in the surf, feeling the warm sun on my shoulders and thinking that I'm a fekking idiot for not taking advantage of this beautiful place I live in. So I made a commitment to myself that I am going to get out of the house for an extended period everyday. Being out in the sunshine is such a mood booster and I really need to take advantage of it.
    iLike this
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OMG it's less than a week! You must be so giddy!

Yes, please, please, PLEASE take advantage of your beautiful weather! I'm sitting here with below-freezing temperatures, so if nothing else let me live vicariously through you! What I wouldn't give right now for a warm, sunny day, let alone a beach! I'm seriously tempted to pick up a package at the tanning salon to get 10 minutes of imaginary summer.

+1 on the pork rind nachos. They sound SO yummy!