Page 31 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 31

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Glad its working out for you Em and that your Whole20 something has been a learning experience. Hang in there with the black coffee - you really can enjoy it, especially if its strong enough
    I don't drink it black, I use coconut cream, but I have cut out the xylitol. It's ok but not as nomilicious as I like.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahz View Post
    Oh my god that sounds yum. I had it for lunch today tossed in olive oil, garlic and fresh chillis and that was good to! Tonight I did cauliflower rice and also chopped up the kale in my thermomix and mixed in altogether and fried in fry pan. Had it with curry!
    That sounds damn good too! I saw your FB post about the curry, hope you're not suffering too badly today

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    22 days em!!! wow. impressive. You seem to have a good handle on your diet etc.. I think you're doing just great.
    Aw shucks... Thanks Suse

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    That's awesome Em! You have a great handle on what you gotta do and what works for you. It sounds very reasonable and easy to do too.

I can't wait to start reading New Rules of Lifting, but I'm not allowed to until I finish GCBC- lol.

Congrats on your fantastic success so far! So proud of you! <3
    Aren't you just a sweetheart? Thanks DR. I finished New Rules of Lifting last night and (don't you love it when the universe tells you you're doing the right thing?) logged into Gumtree.com today (our version of Craigslist I think) and there's a weightbench/squat rack, long and short bar and 2 dumbell bars and 100kg of weights for sale, just around the corner for $150!! I'm picking them up this afternoon... WooHoo!

I didn't have enough sleep last night. I stayed up till 1am finishing my book and then got woken up at 6am by my youngest. I drifted in and out for the next couple of hours but didn't really sleep. I suppose that's a good thing, at least I'll be able to catch some Zs this afternoon in preparation for work tonight.
    I was getting dressed this morning and looked at myself in my full-length mirror from the side.... My God!! Where is my belly going?? I am literally shrinking before my own eyes. My legs are getting smaller too, I actually wore shorts outside the house today and I haven't done that in years!! I'm not saying I looked great in them, but at least I wasn't embarrassed to be showing my legs for a change I really cannot wait to do my weigh and measure on Friday. I've decided that now I've weaned myself off the scale, I'm going to stick to measuring my progress once every 4 weeks like I have this month. I get too caught up in the day to day when I let myself have free reign with the scales.

Day 23 of Whole 30

B: Bacon, garlic, kale and lemon with a lightly fried egg on top.
    L: Some cold meat and salad at party, 1/3 glass champagne
    D: 450g (!!) prawns cooked in garlic, chilli and coconut oil, served on a bed of mixed greens.
    S: Atkins Endulge bar.... Blegh I know... What can I say, I had the worst sweet craving last night and I have a couple tucked away in a drawer.

Exercise:
    25 L3 Push-ups throughout the day
    Um.... 12? Hanging shrugs off the pull-up bar. I did 3 or 4 everytime I passed the bar so not exactly sure of the numbers.

My shoulders are pretty sore today, so added to the lack of sleep, I'm skipping my workout today. I'll do Tues, Thurs and Saturday this week. Heading out now for an hour or so around the lake with the pooch.

Ellie G is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I have started doing shrugs while hanging, which Zoebird recommended in the pull-up challenge thread. Basically hanging there, not trying to bend the arms, but lifting at the shoulders, if that makes sense.
    I've been doing this too -- hanging there, making sure I have an active shoulder (down and back), and then "activating" my back muscles, which pulls me up an inch or so. I think it's good practice -- if I can carve out a steady groove an inch at a time, I'll have great form when I finally make it to a full pullup!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie G View Post
    I've been doing this too -- hanging there, making sure I have an active shoulder (down and back), and then "activating" my back muscles, which pulls me up an inch or so. I think it's good practice -- if I can carve out a steady groove an inch at a time, I'll have great form when I finally make it to a full pullup!
    We'll get there Ellie

So I missed a day yesterday. Monday night shift just killed me, it was the busiest night I've had ever I think. Mostly due to one poor lady who wasn't even ours, she was a urology patient. I won't go into the details, suffice it to say that my night included: emptying bucket after bucket of blood-tinged urine-infused bladder washout solution, suctioning blood and clots out of a catheter tube and trying to stop the poor lady climbing the walls from the pain everytime her catheter tube got blocked with said clots. Not fun and I did not sit all night. I slept the sleep of the dead once I got home.

When I finally did wake up yesterday, I started my new heavy-lifting protocol as per The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It was hard to start with as I was unsure of which weights to begin with, but I think I have an idea what I'm doing now. So here's what I did...

Stage 1/Workout A.

Squats - 15 @ 30lbs/15 @ 50lbs (I need a squat rack, I can squat way more than I can comfortably lift over my head)
    Push-ups - 9 @ 30 degrees/15 @ 45 degrees (Should have started with the 45 degrees and then gone harder)
    Bent-over rows - 15 @ 30lbs/15 @ 40lbs
    Step-ups - 15 @ 40lbs/ 15 @ 60lbs (my thighs could have taken more, but my grip would probably give out, will move to a higher step next time)
    Prone Jack-knife - 2 sets of 8 (need to get a swiss ball)

Next A workout, I'll begin at the heavier weights that I finished on as I went too easy to start with being unsure of what I could do. Tomorrow's workout is workout B which has different lifts, so it'll be another round of experimentation where I see what I'm capable of.
    I think I'm going to need more equipment at some stage, I definitely need a swiss ball and a squat rack, which I'll try to locate second hand. But along the line, I may need a lat-pull-down machine. I'll see how I go, I need to be careful with the funds.
    I'm going to keep going with the kettlebell swings too. I love what they are doing for my body so far.

So today is Australia Day. It's a celebration of the first fleet landing in Australia by the colonials. It is something that is not celebrated by our aboriginal population, which if you know anything about our history, is no great surprise. However, for the rest of us, it's a national holiday and traditionally a time for getting together, throwing some lamb on the barbie and having a few drinks (every celebration in Australia involves drinking FYI!). There is also a massive fireworks display on in all major cities which is co-ordinated by a radio station so that the fireworks are timed to music.
    So this afternoon, my and my BF are heading into the city on the train with our kids, the picnic basket and the radio. It'll be mad down there, but the atmosphere is usually really good and the police presence is high to cut down on the drunken yobbos (another Australian icon, I'm sad to say). The show is always spectacular and the kids are giddy with excitement

Day 24 and 25 of Whole 30:

B: Lamb and silverbeet in Masala spices
    L: Sleeping
    D: Bacon and eggs

Overnight: BAS with curried lamb

B: Sleeping
    L: Kippers and avocado
    D: Rib eye with grilled onions, spinach salad

Exercise:
    See above for NROLFW workout.
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 01-25-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Happy Australia Day! I'm a big fan of Australia, and in highschool I was convinced I was going to move there. I read and watched everything I could about it. Bill Bryson has a fantastic book about his travels there- hilariously funny. I even have an Australian flag- lolz! You have such a lovely country, I must say.

Wow, the workout sounds awesome. I cannot wait to get into that book! Now... squat rack and these other machines aren't required are they?

Have an absolutely wonderful time with the man and the kiddos! It sounds like a wonderful time out!

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Wow, the workout sounds awesome. I cannot wait to get into that book! Now... squat rack and these other machines aren't required are they?
    The lat machine is not essential as he does list alternatives to using it, however, a bench and weights are pretty much essential. The squat rack? Well, without one I have to lift the barbell up and over my head in order to rest it on my shoulders. The weight I'm capable of squatting with would brain me if I tried to lift it over my head. So I'm thinking if I want to progress with my squats, I'm gonna need one.

Quote Originally Posted by bone_machine View Post
    +1!

That workout looks awesome, Em. You're inspiring me to try some new moves.

I, too, need a squat rack.. when Mr. Bones gets some free time I'ma sweet talk him into making one fer me.
    I tried that last night with my man, he seems to think it would be cheaper to buy one than make one, but then he hasn't seen the prices. I need to keep working on him.

Quick check-in...

Remember the appointment that I made with the super-cool holistic doctor recommended by the thyroid support group that was months away? Well, it's finally arrived. I'm off in about 1/2 hour. I'll post back this afternoon when I return.

I am so happy I could die... to quote Batty, I pee with joy!!

I'm back from my hour long appoinment with my new doctor and I think I'm in love. Not only did he know all about adrenal fatigue, he'd even heard of (and treats) functional hypothyroidism. He had a rueful chuckle with me over the attitude of my old GP and agrees that it's all too common for doctors these days to give more credence to lab tests than symptoms.

He looked at me. He talked to me. He listened to me. He recognised that I had done an awful lot of research on the topics of adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism and he talked to me intelligently like the well-informed person I am, he didn't get all uppity and defensive when I showed that I knew what I was talking about.
    He prescribed all the tests that I had read about without being asked. He immediately started me on Armour (Oh My God, my other GP didn't even know what it was!!) and cortisone replacement therapy. He recommended another book (The Hormone Solution by Thierry Hertoghe) that he wants me to read to further my knowledge on the topic.
    He listened to me describe the Primal Blueprint, smiled and handed me a sheet of paper that had the diet that he prescribes to patients with autoimmune disorders and adrenal issues. Here's what it says....

"No sugars and no grains, no refined carbohydrates, just vegetable carbohydrates. Any and all vegetables except potatoes, peas and corn. Seeds and nuts (including coconut). Meat and fish. No dairy unless fermented, butter is ok. Herbs and spices. No caffeine, alcohol, milk or processed foods of any kind"

He commended me on the steps I'd taken so far in ditching caffeine, grains and dairy, liked the supplements that I've been using including Vitamin D! He told me that what I have been doing is enough to stop any more damage, but not enough to heal me. Apparently I am severely adrenally deficient, he think I have too much aldosterone due to my pituitary pumping out massive amounts of ACTH trying to raise my cortisol levels. Consequently I pee out any and all salt that I eat which leads to my very dry skin and very low BP and heart rate. My heart rate was 45bpm in his office and he told me he was amazed I could even get out of bed in the morning.
    What else... Oh yeah, despite my <10 result in my TPO antibody test, he still thinks there's an autoimmune component to my hypothyroidism. As he said, even if the reading is only 1, it still shows that the thyroid is being attacked.

I can't tell you how excited I am to have found a doctor who will treat me. I almost cried when I left his office I was so relieved. I was starting to believe that I was going mad. The last doctor I saw asked me if perhaps I was imagining the symptoms because I knew my thyroid labs were out.. What a fuckwit!! But honestly, I was starting to wonder!

So I'm going to the lab in the morning to get all my tests done and I'll start my Armour and cortisone therapy when I get back. He's only started me on very low doses, telling me that I will need much more, but until he sees my labs he doesn't want to start on the higher doses.

I am sooo excited about starting on the path to recovery. I look forward to being able to jump out of bed in the morning full of energy instead of dragging my arse everywhere. I am giddy

peril is offline Senior Member
    That's fantastic Em. So happy for you. Does he have a colleague in Sydney
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome news, Em! What a relief it must be.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Awesomeness! And great news!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.