Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 2

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    gonna try with coconut cream in a minute to see if I can kick the cream
    Dayam!! That is goooood! I think I may be able to give dairy the flick after all since my creamy coffee is the one thing I am not willing to give up

I only ate 1300 calories yesterday! In fact my average is only 1880 which is way down for me. Amazing what happens when you omit cheese, nuts and alcohol (5 days this week!!!!) from your diet! I have done IF everyday since Wednesday in the 'reduced eating window' style rather than going whole days without eating. I'm surprised by how little food I actually need to sustain myself. The most freeing part is not having to have breakfast, I have my creamy coffee but do not really feel like eating so I don't. I was so set on the 'most important meal of the day' crap that I used to eat it even when I wasn't really hungry for it.
    I have followed my appetite though, on my workout day I was crazy hungry after and felt like I really needed protein so I went with it. Didn't need to eat much at all yesterday though, as a result of the protein binge the night before I'm guessing.
    I only had coffee with cream for breakfast and coffee with coconut cream for lunch. Had an awesome Thai prawn green curry with about a half kilo of prawns in it! Who knew, apparently there is such a thing as too many prawns

Plan for today...

Breakfast: Coffee with heavy cream (will switch to coconut cream when this tub is empty)

Lunch: BBQ at bf's house, will be ribeye steak and spinach salad with wine (hopefully )

Dinner: If I feel like it, I'm cooking up some chicken drunsticks for the kids so I'll have a couple of them with some Greek salad if I'm hungry.

Exercise: Another beach walk with the dog, although with the kids along, it's not really strenuous. Will try a sprint at the bf's place on his rowing machine.

The plataeu has finally broken!!!! Hallelujah

I lost a kilo this week after hovering at 100.6kg for about 8 weeks. Dunno if it was the alcohol, the cheese or the nuts but I'm gonna keep doing what I did last week as obviously it works.

Yesterday, I had quite a few drinks, it was such a gorgeous day here and the family BBQ at my BF's place was great. The lunch was as planned and I just ate a chicken drumstick for supper, mostly to soak up some of the wine

I got the beach walk in but when I went into my bf's room during the BBQ to have a sprint on the rowing machine, he followed me and we ended up having a quick workout of another kind Ah well, it was far more fun than the rower would have been.

Plan for today:

Breakfast: Coffee with cream

Lunch: leftover bacon, cheeseburger quiche and salad

Nightshift tonight so will have lots of various primal snacks throughout the night, not sure what yet though, so will post tomorrow.

Hoping to get a beach walk in with the pooch, but have a lot of homework to do so will see what happens.

Ok, went to the Doc's today to get a sick certificate (decided not to go to work tonight, too much homework to get done). Anyway, I had some bloodwork done in March and it shows that I had increased Thyroid Stimulating Hormone levels. This apparently is a pre-cursor to an under-active thyroid. I had another blood test done today to check my levels and I'll be interested to see how they measure up as I've been low-carb since I had the last work-up done.
    The info I've been reading said that gluten is often a culprit with thyroid problems and since going low-carb, there is none in my diet so we shall see...

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Em, congrats on the weight loss! I posted some info on your separate thyroid thread... but there are also some articles posted in the hypothyroid forum, if you go to GROUPS.

Your thyroid may or may not be an issue... it could just be out of whack due to other hormones being out of whack and if so, then primal eating and low stress lifestyle will help bring that back in order. You didn't say what your test results were, but just to reclarify what I said on that thread, anything over a 2 for your TSH means something's out of balance. And under the guidelines the American Endocrinologists Association wants to pass, the lab range should be .3-3.0 for TSH (currently it's .5-5.0 but that's under a lot of debate as to being usable). So a TSH if 8 is REALLY up and over even the modest lab ranges they use now. But then, perhaps these are different measurements? Are you Canadian?

There are a lot of hypothyroid ladies on this forum, so you should be able to get some good info from experience!

PS the fact that you did just lose weight is a good sign... I have lost weight once in the past almost 6 years. Seriously. Even going to 1200 calories and walking an hour every day I wasn't losing and sometimes gained... so the fact that you're still able to lose weight is good!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by bone_machine View Post
    Congrats, that is fantastic!
    I know, right!? Seriously happy here

Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    Em, congrats on the weight loss! I posted some info on your separate thyroid thread... but there are also some articles posted in the hypothyroid forum, if you go to GROUPS.

Your thyroid may or may not be an issue... it could just be out of whack due to other hormones being out of whack and if so, then primal eating and low stress lifestyle will help bring that back in order. You didn't say what your test results were, but just to reclarify what I said on that thread, anything over a 2 for your TSH means something's out of balance. And under the guidelines the American Endocrinologists Association wants to pass, the lab range should be .3-3.0 for TSH (currently it's .5-5.0 but that's under a lot of debate as to being usable). So a TSH if 8 is REALLY up and over even the modest lab ranges they use now. But then, perhaps these are different measurements? Are you Canadian?

There are a lot of hypothyroid ladies on this forum, so you should be able to get some good info from experience!

PS the fact that you did just lose weight is a good sign... I have lost weight once in the past almost 6 years. Seriously. Even going to 1200 calories and walking an hour every day I wasn't losing and sometimes gained... so the fact that you're still able to lose weight is good!
    I'm an Aussie hon, though I hear we're very similar to the Canucks

My average daily calorie intake last week was 1952. Some days only 1300, some days 2500, I don't exercise everyday either. As I mentioned in response to all the wonderful feedback I got on my other thread, I really don't feel like I have anything wrong with me, but then I may just have got used to a lower level of normal.

As to the weightloss, since I had my third child in 2005, I've lost over 30kgs (66Ibs). It has had it's ups and downs, for example, I actually got down to 88kgs but then got back on the carb wagon and gained 20kgs again, jesus I was pissed off with myself!! I'm on my way back down again now, I'm 8kgs down since I re-started my low-carb plan.

Another thing, I've always suffered from a really irritating kind of dermatitis, it only manifests on my hands and ankles and (of all friggin places!) around my mouth. I'm wondering if it may be related to dairy intake as this is something I have never given up, not even for a day. As of today I'm going dairy free anyway. I cut down last week but was still drinking cream in my coffee, I've finally run out of that and I had coconut cream in my coffee this morning. I already gave cheese the flick last week so I may as well get serious and see what happens when I eliminate dairy completely. I'm gonna give it a solid 4 weeks and see if I notice any other positive changes.

So, yesterday. I remembered that i had a kilo of pork belly in the fridge so I roasted that up and ate about half of it over the course of the day, dear sweet jesus, is there anything better than crispy cracklin' pig skin and fat! I made up a green smoothie and drank about half then had the most awful gurgling gas and the runs. That's just proved it, I cannot take large quantities of coconut milk, it just goes straight through me! I had a couple of vodka sodas in the evening too. No veggies or fruit though, except in the smoothie - will make up for that today.
    Got out for an hour on the beach with the pooch, wore my new HR monitor and sat comfortably at about 70% of maximum the whole time, was barefoot too!

Plan for today:

Breakfast: Coffee with coconut cream

Lunch: What else?! Pork belly with a BAS

Dinner: bf is cooking ribeye steak with a big greek style salad... Oh that reminds me, will have to leave the feta out of mine.

Exercise: LHT workout and beach walk.

Yesterday went as planned except I had sauteed asparagus and chinese broccoli in ghee with lemon and pinenuts instead of the greek salad, plus half a bottle of a damned good red and a little dark chocolate.
    I didn't get to my LHT workout either but I did do the walk.

So today I got my bloodwork back and my TSH levels have gone down but are still above normal, my free T4 is good but my free T3 is 0.2 higher than the lowest end of normal and my TPO antibodies are normal too so I really don't know what that means. Without antibodies, I'm assuming I don't have Hashimotos, but obviously I have some sort of conversion problem. I've spent the day researching ways to improve thyroid function and have come up with lots of easily implemented things I can do like increase coconut oil consumption and iodine-containing foods, plus cutting out peanuts. The other things that are suggested are things I'm doing anyway.
    I have to see my GP on Monday and I'm hoping she's not going to try and put me on thyroxine since I clearly don't have an issue with my T4, if I can get her to give me Armour that'll be great, but I'll be happy with T3 supplementation, Tertroxin it's called here. I'm tempted to try and fix it myself and get re-tested in 6 months. I'll have to have a think.

Anyway today:
    Breakfast: Coconut coffee with sausage, egg and sauerkraut

Lunch: A packet of pork rinds dunked in chicken liver pate (OMG!!)

Dinner: Slow-roasted lamb shoulder with steamed broccoli, carrots and one baby potato drizzled in melted coconut oil

Didn't exercise at all today but will get my LHT workout done tomorrow.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Ahh... Aussie... I knew it was something exotic :-)

Don't do the T4 for sure... T3 supplementation should be fine to raise that. Interestingly fixing gut health is a big thing in conversion of T4 to T3... a lot of it happens in the digestive tract, so one of the first things to do is eliminate the biggies--- dairy, gluten and alchohol (and anything else you think you might be allergic to). Do you feel like you have any gut issues (slow digestion, blaoting and gassy, that sort of thing?) Sounds like you're on the right track anyway which is awesome!

I need to kick dairy again myself. I don't eat it much... cheese in some dishes and cream in my tea and ghee to cook with, but that's about it. I can cook with coconut oil, I use that a lot too... so might try coconut cream in my tea as well and just skip the cheesy dishes for a while. Back to basics!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    Don't do the T4 for sure... T3 supplementation should be fine to raise that. Interestingly fixing gut health is a big thing in conversion of T4 to T3... a lot of it happens in the digestive tract, so one of the first things to do is eliminate the biggies--- dairy, gluten and alchohol (and anything else you think you might be allergic to). Do you feel like you have any gut issues (slow digestion, blaoting and gassy, that sort of thing?) Sounds like you're on the right track anyway which is awesome!
    Funny you should mention gut issues, I've been keeping track of that and I do suffer from really gurgly horrible bloating after eating anything with too much fibre, at least that seems to be the trigger. If I just eat protein or fat - no problem, but a BAS or smoothie has me blowing up and making some weird-arse noises from the midsection! I was listening to a Robb Wolf podcast the other day and he suggested that too much fibre can be tough on the digestive system and to avoid the really fibrous fruits and veg and cook veggies well if you're having issues, another piece of CW bites the dust!

PrimalCon New York
    I introduced some starch to my diet today in an effort to move away from the VLC thing. I ate a banana after lunch (does a HB egg and a cup of green tea with 2 tbsp coconut oil count as lunch?) and had a baked sweet potato with dinner. Man they were good, will have to monitor my cravings and hunger over the next few days, if they start returning, I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

So here's my day:

Breakfast: Coffee with new whipped vanilla coconut milk, bloody marvelous!

Lunch: HB egg, green tea with coconut oil, banana

Dinner: Leftover slow-roasted lamb, brought back to life by frying in ghee, mmmm crispy lamb..... Small baked sweet potato with butter, lots of butter, broccoli steamed and then tossed in some fried bacon bits with the bacon fat.

Snacks: A couple of skinless beef sausages, couple more coffees

Did my LHT workout and got in a walk on the beach with the kids and pooch, taught them to play chicken with the surf, was really high today!

I feel tired tonight, I was yesterday too, I managed to get a full 8 hours sleep last night which is unusual for me, but I awoke naturally before the alarm which was a nice change. I'm gonna try the early to bed thing a bit more often I think. I don't get enough sleep cos I like to stay up late reading and surfing, I think I definately need to make this a priority, it's the one area that I'm falling down with the PB.

Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast