Page 145 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1504

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 145

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Carb night was good, I didn't go nuts but I managed to get in around 350g carbs which is good. Ketones back up to 0.6 by lunchtime today.

I'm going to start a strength training program this week with a couple of HIIT sessions thrown in. I really want to re-shape my body as I lose fat and I figure building muscle is the best way to do that.
    I haven't done any sort of consistent training for a very long time, so I'll be interested to see how things go. It's going to be a challenge fitting it in with full time work, but I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet. My life isn't going to change to suit my goals, I need to make time for them.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Em, I'd like to see this info too. Thanks in advance.
    Me three
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

There's really not that much to it. You eat ultra low carb for 6 1/2 days per week, then on the seventh evening you carb it up. Starting at around 4 pm and ending at midnight (or whenever you go to bed, midnight at the latest) you eat whatever the hell you like. I'm finding it works better if you try to spike your carbs only without having a concurrent spike in protein and fat. A lot of people eat pizza and cake and ice cream, which are actually pretty low GI due to the fat and protein content. You're actually better off with potato and rice and sugary things which give you a sharp insulin spike.
    Doing this allows you the benefits of low carb (ketosis, weight loss, etc) without the downsides such as reduced thyroid function and decreased insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance.
    It works especially well if you're strength training and you train right before carb night as the insulin spike causes a huge influx of glucose into your muscles providing growth.
    I've been doing this for about 6 weeks and am doing very well with it, but it's not a permanent lifestyle like primal in that you still eat your chocolate and drink your wine and call it good because you're under 100g of carbs, you need to be aiming for zero carbs from anything other than what's naturally in meat, dairy and fibrous vegetables. I'm doing this for 3 months and then I'm going to step back, settle into a more moderate eating plan and re-assess.

So there you go. If you want to buckle down and spend three months working out and only eating meat and veg for most of the time, then give it a go - it works. I have to say that the diet part isn't hard at all, knowing that you're only as much as 6 days away from being able to eat what you crave makes it pretty easy.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Em, I'll be interested to see what kind of results you get with this. Now that my vacation is done, I have to sort out my plan for the next couple of months, till Christmastime or so.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I like this idea, but unfortunately I am on a high carb diet at the moment with one day off to eat meat and veg I must try and swap that around.

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    I like this idea, but unfortunately I am on a high carb diet at the moment with one day off to eat meat and veg I must try and swap that around.
    Hahahahaha!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    LOLZ How's that working out for you?

I've had a couple of days off the low carb this week. I came down with a head cold which reminded me that I'm probably overdoing the diet and training (I had been at the weights or HIIT everyday), so I took a breather. I'll be going back on the wagon tomorrow, but I do feel somewhat saner for the break.

Peter is home after a week in Sydney with his kids today, I can't wait to see him! I really missed him, although I have to admit to enjoying the time to myself too (I won't admit that to him of course ).

In other good news, I got a six month extension on my post-grad paper and presentation. I have just got too much on at the moment to worry about that as well. It means I can focus on getting this grad program done without having to think about studying at the same time. I'm on a steep enough learning curve as it is, plus I'm working overtime every week and I want to spend my days off with my kids, not on the computer. So I'm pretty happy about this extension, I feel like I have a huge weight off my shoulders.

6 month extension
    very good
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Sigh....

Ok, so I tried the carb cycling thing for 6 weeks, I lost nearly 4 kg in the first 10 days and then.... Nothing.

Last week, after deciding to take a break for a few days because I was sick, I gained nearly the whole lot back in 4 days. What does this tell me?

Eating very low carb causes me to lose fluid and very little else. I did not eat enough calories to magically gain 4 kg of fat in those 4 days, so it was my liver and muscles refilling their glycogen stores and the accompanying water that goes with it. 6 weeks of ketosis and in reality I didn't lose an ounce.

I should have known better really, I'm not sure why I thought this time would be different. So basically now I'm just making sure that I eat real food. I'm so sick of thinking about my diet all the bloody time that I can't face it right now.

I think I need another hobby.

That sucks
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy