Page 143 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1504

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 143

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So it's day 11, I'm having carb night tonight and looking forward to it.

I've lost 3.5kg in 10 days which is very cool and everything's feeling leaner which is really cool.

Carb night was awesome. It did everything it was supposed to do and it didn't undo any of my hard-earned results so.. WIN!

I'm actually really enjoying eating VLC again, I'm bulletproofing my coffee with crio bru in the morning to make a bulletproof mocha and it keeps me going all morning easily. I'd forgotten how much energy you can have when you're in ketosis, but I think the carb loading is negating the possible negative effects as I haven't been getting cold since then like I was last week.

I went back to the gym on Saturday (I'm going to try to strength train before carbing up every week), the DOMS are killing me now, especially as my job is so physical, but it was nice to lift heavy stuff again.

Oh yeah, I made these. They're delicious and I highly recommend them.

Well this week I somehow managed to gain back 0.7kg from last week.

Looking back at my week's intake I think I've identified the culprits:

1) Booze - ever my achilles heel. I had a vodka or two most nights this week with soda.
    2) Too much protein - I've been hitting 140g some days which is just way too high.
    3) Not eating enough - Sounds counter-intuitive I know, but I'm on my feet for 10 hours a day (just worked a 50 week!) and I'm sometimes only eating around 17-1800 calories. Go Kaleo linked to this energy expenditure calculator and I was shocked to find out that with my job, my maintenance calories should be around 3700!!! I know I should be eating hypo-calorically if I want to lose weight, but I think 2000 is a little too low!

Anyways, thanks to a combination of Jac, Jimmy Moore and Phinney and Volek's book on ketosis for athletes, I've decided to purchase a blood ketone meter and drop my protein and up my fat in an attempt to get into proper ketosis. I need to not dally in the grey area between keto-adaptation and reliance on carbs if I want to have enough energy to do my job. I am completely exhausted right now after my killer 50 hour week!

Paleobird Guest
    Ya. I've been looking into those meters too. Have you decided on a brand? You being a health professional and all I thought you might get some good recommendations from work.

I'm glad the VLC with refeed seems to be the trick for you to being able to do VLC without complications. I do agree that you are way high on the protein, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ya. I've been looking into those meters too. Have you decided on a brand? You being a health professional and all I thought you might get some good recommendations from work.

I'm glad the VLC with refeed seems to be the trick for you to being able to do VLC without complications. I do agree that you are way high on the protein, though.
    I purchased the Optium Freestyle meter. It's the same one used in all the hospitals I've worked in so I know they're pretty reliable.

On the protein, I've been eating a lot of low-fat dairy which seems to be pushing up my protein without a commensurate increase in fat. I'm going to eat some more meat and eggs and full-fat dairy this week and see how that works. I'll also be making some hollandaise and mayonnaise so that I can add fat to my food more easily.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I'll also be making some hollandaise and mayonnaise so that I can add fat to my food more easily.
    That's what I decided I needed to do - getting the right amount of fat without having dairy or attaching it to protein or coconut cream has been quite a challenge. I added 1 tbsp coconut oil to a cocoa drink this morning - blerk.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

I'm really enjoying my experiment in ketosis so far. I am experiencing all the great things like decreased appetite, easier digestion and (this is a big one) increased mental clarity and focus. Not that I was a dullard before, but I have been noticing an amazing ability to implement new skills and the ability to retain that knowledge. It's fantastic! Especially in my job where I'm still learning everyday and am constantly exposed to unfamiliar tasks. This is no small thing and I am loving it!!

The reduced appetite is a big thing too, I'm really not experiencing hunger in the same way. I'm doing the bulletproof coffee for breakfast (which is at 5am) and unlike before when I was ready to chew my arm off by 10am, I can comfortably go till mid-afternoon and even straight through till dinner. Consequently, I'm reducing my calories without trying which can only help my weight loss efforts. Mind you, they're not that low, fat is very calorie dense after all, but they are lower than before.

I had another thought regarding my carb-cycling. I think I'm going to play it by ear for now rather than have a set weekly carb night. Up until now, I have been able to tell when I'm in need of a re-feed by a decrease in temps, less clear thinking and decreased tolerance to the activity levels required for my job. However I haven't been in full ketosis before given my high protein levels so that may explain why I've needed that weekly boost. I'm going to trial not having my cheat meal until I observe those symptoms and see what happens. I may still feel that way by the end of the week, but then again, I may not and I know my weight loss efforts will be rewarded by not upping my carbs once a week if I can avoid it.

Weigh in day. I lost the 0.7kg from last week but no more. Given that the first week's loss was most likely glycogen and water, I look at this as a positive (well I'm trying to), given that I'm super low-carb now (3 1/2 weeks now), any weight lost is almost certainly fat. I'll take a kilo of fat lost over a kilo of water any day.

I am going to carb load this evening. I need to stick with something for more than a few weeks to see whether it's working or not. I'll give my current plan until the end of the year before I look at changing anything I think. My problem always has been quitting on things too quickly.

Edited to add: total weight loss is 3.4kg in 3 1/2 weeks.
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 09-21-2012 at 11:05 PM.

I got my ketone meter this week. Ketones have ranged from 0.2 to 1.1 so far. 0.8 this morning, 1.1 yesterday. My first day I took my measurement 3 times throughout the day to see when they were higher and surprisingly enough, the morning reading was highest (although only by 0.1). So I'm in ketosis, but not heavily.

I've been having some nasty GI issues the past few days. Bloating, gurgling and diarrhoea which is NOT fun. I'm not sure why but I'm thinking it could be related to either too much MCT oil or the fact that I'm using xylitol again to sweeten my coffee. I've just about run out of MCT oil, so I'll use coconut oil instead next week. As for the xylitol, I wish I could get used to unsweetened coffee, but I really can't. I don't want to use any of the aspartame, ace k, saccharin products and stevia just has a nasty aftertaste. Meh, I dont know. I can't carry on like this though.

I lost 400g this past week, it's not much but it's heading in the right direction. I'd like to see things move faster, but I guess I need to accept that things are gonna slow down as I get older. It's exactly 12 weeks until my 40th birthday and I'd really like to be down to my post-hCG weight of 82kg which is just over 12kg that I need to lose. It's very ambitious but it gives me something to aim for.

Total weight loss so far: 3.9kg in 4.5 weeks.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Not fair!! I've never seen ketone levels that high, and I don't even carb up . Perhaps it's the gut issues, or the 10 years I have on you . I guess I'm just a deranged old person, lmfao.

That's very good weight loss, Em. I'd love to lose 12kg - am waiting to see how long this session of loss will last, though. I think I lose about 10% and then just stop for ages. That'd see me drop to 82 before it all dries up again!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus