Page 141 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1504

Thread: Primal Journal - NourishedEm page 141

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Well, while I have not exactly known you for years, you have in the short time I have known you been a mother, lost a ton of weight, changed jobs and dealt with all kinds of goings on in life that would drive others to far more than a bit of tequila. I think we can safely say that your coping skills are there. We all have our moments of weakness.
    See, this is why you could never be a douche.

I don't like working in the other side of the department. I liked anaesthetics, we have a good crew, the job entails a fair bit of autonomy and, although we have colleagues, we work on our own in each theatre.
    In scrub/scout there are three nurses working in each theatre, they are mostly female and there is the accompanying bitching and crap that tends to go along with women working together. I don't like it, I'm not a huge fan of people at the best of times, but the female version of people seem to piss me off more regularly than the male version. Why can't they just do their jobs and not talk trash about the person who just left the room? I don't get it, I don't like it and I want OUT!
    Unfortunately I have to survive another three months in this department before I can do my rotation in recovery which gets me back with the anaesthetics peoples that I like.

This is why I don't have any girl-friends.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Bleh, I've got nothing for that. If I ever discover the cure for bitchiness I'll let you know.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Thanks Jon, it's ok - I'm over it now. As well as sub-standard coping skills, I also don't have the concentration necessary to spend time brooding - I usually get distracted by something shiny.

This morning I feel remarkably good, considering my tequila intake. I didn't have that much actually, I'm a cheap date these days. I've been laughing all morning at my children who have been singing "this octopus - get him some boots - send him to North Korea!" to the tune of O Fortuna.

Heading out soon to the 2012 Gourmet Food and Wine festival at York. There will be much nibbling of tasty comestibles and quoffing of local wines today. Oh... and it's a 3 day weekend.

So much win.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hey Em . . . I started a new journal!

Sucks to have a rotation that doesn't feel good. Can I be a Pollyanna here and remind you that it'll all just be a bad memory soon and you'll be back in a place you enjoy? If you're reading this in a grumpy mood, I'll stop now .

If you're in a good mood, I'll keep going and tell you that you've come a loooong way babeee, and this will pass really soon

Please come visit me - it's lonely out thar!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Ok, so I'm back.

I have been doing my thang with the Ray Peat crowd and learning heaps and while I've improved my thyroid health immensely, I've also gained about 10kg. I'm now going to try and strike a balance between the epic-weight-loss but metabolism-damaging effects of low-carb and the metabolism-boosting but pudge-inducing effects of high-carb.

Here's what I (think I) know:

- Carbs, when they come from fruits and 'safe' starches such as masa corn, potatoes (white and sweet) and rice are NOT the enemy. In fact they have an amazing effect on cellular energy levels and can make you a burning furnace of metabolic energy. Fructose is not a bad thing when it comes from whole foods.
    Carbs also cause you to gain some weight, some of it is glycogen and it's accompanying water, but some of it is definitely fat.

- Fat gain is not necessarily a bad thing for your body. I think that body-fat (within reason) is a necessary thing that protects us from stressors. Fat-gain or loss is not an indicator of good or bad health.

- The real villains in the food world are PUFAs and I'm not talking about omega 6/3 balance. ALL PUFAs are far too easily subject to lipid peroxidation creating free radicals. The ratio you should be concerned about is not your omega 6 to 3, but your saturated fat to PUFA ratio. Ideally PUFA intake should be kept as low as physically possible.

- Gluten-containing grains can be problematic and are best avoided for the most part, but the odd slice of sourdough bread will not kill you if you're not celiac.

- Long term low-carb (and I mean anything below 150g there) WILL damage your thyroid health. You can feel it when the weather is slightly cool, your hands, feet and nose will be cold. Your basal (underarm first thing in the AM before moving) temperature will be under 36.4 (97.5) and it won't get much higher throughout the day. On a high-carb diet, you'll be closer to 36.7 (98) in the AM and will sit around 37-37.2 (98.6-99) throughout the rest of the day (yes, that's been my temps for the last six months - without meds).
    Low-carb is however a potent weight loss tool.

- Too much muscle meat without a decent balance of gelatin (from collagen, etc) leads to too much cysteine and tryptophan intake which is also bad for metabolic health. Focus should be on whole-animal eating or making sauces with gelatin when eating cuts of muscle meat.

Where does this knowledge lead me when trying to design a diet that will allow me to lose my excess fat BUT without my thyroid health suffering too much (I know that some downregulation is inevitable)?

So here's the plan:

I'm going to eat low-carb all week, I will make sure I balance my muscle meat intake with gelatin or eat whole, on-the-bone cuts. I will also use shellfish and cheese to get about half of my protein rather than focusing on meat only.

I will have a carb-load on one afternoon/evening every weekend. On this day I will make it a personal challenge to eat as many carbohydrates as possible from as many delicious starchy, sugary foods as I can.

I will monitor my temps and how I'm feeling and if necessary, reintroduce thyroid meds to help me weather the storm.

I will only do this for 3 month before taking a break for a few weeks and eating normally again (my normal which is high-carb).

I actually started this plan on Wednesday and have been super low-carb for the past couple of days. I have noticed that I've been getting a little cold in the evenings but I can usually fend it off with a snack with protein in it. My basal temps are as yet, unchanged - 36.7 this morning.
    I'm also peeing like a champion and my belly is flatter, a sure sign that I'm burning through my glycogen stores and peeing out all the water that went with them. I imagine my first weight loss will be fairly significant but I know that it will be mostly water.

I'll get around to journals soon to catch up (if anyone is still following this), in the mean time.... Hi!
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 08-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi Em!! Great to see you back, but it kind of sucks about the weight gain. Your plan sounds like a good one. I don't know much about Ray Peat, but some of the people on Paleohacks seem to think he's onto something.

I'm at the beginning of an experiment with ketosis. My weight still wasn't moving, and the IBS still wasn't under control. So far I'm feeling good on it - knowing that it's temporary and that I'll go back to PHD-type eating to maintain weight.

Hows the course??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Mmmm, I see the spammers are still around - fabulous

Hey Jac!!

Yeah the weight gain does suck but I learned a lot and I feel a hell of a lot healthier than I did this time 9 months ago. I'm taking this new plan v e r y slowly because I really don't wanna stuff that up. Being slim is not the be all and end all as you know.

The course is going great, my last post on the subject was in the early days of my scrub/scout rotation and I was floundering like a fish out of water but I absolutely love it now. I'm doing all sorts of cool stuff and I am (amazingly) very good at it. The hours are long but I have a pretty decent roster that gives me a day off every week, and of course I still don't do weekends. Still that means I'm fitting 45 hours a week in to 4 days which can be pretty intense, especially because the job is quite physical. I can go through an 11 hour shift and only sit down for my 1/2 hour lunch break. On the plus side I have thighs of steel as a result!

I was going to ask how you're doing, but I'll just head over to your journal and have a look for myself.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Glad you're back! I missed you

Your plan sounds sensible and "doable" (is that a word?)
    I'm glad your course is going well!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Em!!! Glad to see you're back

That is all