Thread: Another cruddy diet - this time claims to beat breast cancer. Very sad.... page

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member

Another cruddy diet - this time claims to beat breast cancer. Very sad....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-red-meat.html

The highlights....

WHOLEGRAINS
    Wholegrains contain fibre, which helps you manage your weight and lowers blood oestrogen levels, reducing the risk of breast cancer.

A typical day's food would be:

BREAKFAST(about 400 calories):

2 servings of wholegrain starch.
    1-2 servings of fat (eg nuts and nut butters).
    1 serving of deep-coloured fruit.
    Optional: One or two servings of dairy and any amount of vegetables.

LUNCH (500-600 calories):

2 servings wholegrain starch or beans.
    2 servings of vegetables.
    1-2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil.
    1-2 servings of fruit (preferably deep-coloured).
    Optional: Cheese, egg, nuts (substitute for olive oil), some of your meat, poultry, or seafood allowance.

DINNER (500-600 calories):

3-4 servings of wholegrain starch or beans.
    2 or more servings of vegetables.
    1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.

MEAT: Optional, but don't have more than 12oz of poultry and seafood (roughly two chicken or fish fillets) per week. You can replace 6oz of poultry or seafood with 6oz of beef, pork or lamb once a month only.

WHY YOU NEED TO CUT OUT RED MEAT
    Dr Flynn suggests avoiding meat, poultry and seafood completely ó and certainly in the first two weeks of the diet ó simply because they donít have the same cancer-fighting properties of other foods.

Her ideal cancer-fighting diet would, she says, be totally vegetarian, because every calorie squandered on meat is one that could be spent on food that will be actively fighting disease on your behalf.

ĎItís not that seafood and animal protein are necessarily bad for you ó itís just that you donít need it,í she argues.

MEAT: Although you donít have to avoid it, meat can undo the good work of this diet. Thatís because it contains amino acids that stimulate insulin ó and high insulin levels have been linked to breast cancer. Amino acids can also be converted in our bodies to homocysteine, a compound linked to disease-causing inflammation. The risk of cancer, including breast cancer, is related to the ratio of plant products to meat consumption. The more plants and less meat you eat, the lower your cancer threat. You should particularly avoid cured meats, such as ham or salami, which contain carcinogenic sodium nitrates.

OILY FISH: Unlike many health experts, Dr Flynn doesnít recommend eating more oily fish. ĎStudies show that just adding omega-3s (found in fish oil) to your diet will not make you healthier; nor do they protect against cancer,í she says. What is important is the ratio of omega-3s to omega-6s (found in vegetable oils), and we eat too much omega-6. The answer, Dr Flynn says, is not to add more omega-3, but to cut back on omega-6. So avoid margarine and vegetable oils such as sunflower or corn oil. **well she got something right about the ratios?**
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    My sister was telling me about this yesterday, fucking ridiculous.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Dear Science,
    Remember that time you said obesity and cancer were caused by high fat diets and red meat, so everybody switched and then things got even worse.
    *Awkward*

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    She doesn't want people to eat much animal foods because they raise insulin but tells people to eat about 4 servings of wholegrains each day?!?!?!?!

That diet is nutrient poorand without the fish doesn't have a great omega 6/3 balance.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    This seems like what most people would consider healthy, doesn't look very unusual. I'm sure lots of my coworkers eat like this.

It's nice she doesn't want people eating industrial oils, and eating whole foods (even if it includes whole grain). Also, if you use your allowance of 6 servings of beans per day, you'll save money by being disinvited to social events!
    I'm trying to think of more nice things to say but they're not coming to mind....

milly3 is offline Member
    here's the Dr. Mary Flynn...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl9YCpdDWNY
    not exactly the figure I'm aiming for...not terrible, but...

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Amino acids stimulate insulin? But 4 servings of grain don't? *facepalm*

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriCiCi View Post
    Amino acids stimulate insulin? But 4 servings of grain don't? *facepalm*
    It looks like it's more like 7 or 8 servings of whole grain starch. I can't imagine eating that much. With all the pushing of whole grains the only reason for them seems to be fiber. What about more veggies (and some fruit like raspberries)?

This diet has higher fats than the usual high carb diets. Aren't high fats + grains bad? Usually high carb diets are low fat.

Re: the meats. I wish they would do some testing with grass-fed, pastured meats.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by mizski View Post
    It looks like it's more like 7 or 8 servings of whole grain starch. I can't imagine eating that much. With all the pushing of whole grains the only reason for them seems to be fiber. What about more veggies (and some fruit like raspberries)?

This diet has higher fats than the usual high carb diets. Aren't high fats + grains bad? Usually high carb diets are low fat.

Re: the meats. I wish they would do some testing with grass-fed, pastured meats.
    I thought that, if you ate high carb and high fat you'd become fatter than if you just ate carbs alone because your body would burn the carbs and then store the fat.

Been trying to explain it to a friend using a hearth fire analogy (i.e. wood is carbs, coal is fat. Fire burns the wood, then goes out before burning all the coal. Coal is then stored in the grate/hearth (which I guess represents your body).

Crap analogy, but it was the best I could think of on the spur of the moment. I think she understood... I've lent her the book, anyway...
    La tristesse durera toujours...