Thread: advice for abs? page

docteurguillotine is offline Junior Member

advice for abs?

Shop Now
    helllllllo,
    I have started the primal blueprint fitness plan, sound solid, but i need advice for some who are more advanced in this path: does plank (forearms+knees) is enough for working the abs?

I have been involved in competition (martial art, full contact...) but i never try to build my abs with plank.. any good story to share about it?

Thanks!

Grok on!!!

LockieKermit is offline Member
    they extremely good core exercises because it's an exercise that basically makes sure the abs do what they're made to do. Keep your stomach and surrounding muscles tight and strong, protecting your spine.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Planks are great for building your abs. There are a lot of variations on planks that you can try too. (click the link for more info!)

Once you get good at planks, you can try working on the L-sit as well.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

docteurguillotine is offline Junior Member
    faster and smarter than a quick search on wikipedia, the members of this forum! Thanks for your quick and precise answers!!

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Mark suggest tightening and holding your abs for building up more definition. The only thing that I for mine is about 20 fully inverted sit ups and some twisting inverted crunches for the obliques. I'm on my inversion table anyway to keep my back healthy so I toss in an ab exercise.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    planks are great for the abs...and like alkavadlo said, there are a lot of variations you can do to increase the intensity and which muscles are being hit. also, your abs are going to get a workout with just about any exercise you do with PB fitness. my abs get a great workout just doing pull-ups and push-ups. any time you are lifting heavy, balancing, throwing, moving your body weight, etc. your abs are going to be engaged.

worthc is offline Junior Member
    forearms and toes is better if you can do it. side planks, hanging leg/knee raises, ab wheel rollouts etc. worked for me. And i think any heavy lifting where you have to stabilize the weight above your center of gravity helps as well.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    Totaly agree with that article. I actualy don't do planks, because I'm already planking every time I do pushups, and do compound movements. (even on pulldowns the abs engage, as well as Squats, deads, overhead presses)
    I do do Swiss ball 'crunches' (more like situps, done on a ball, except using the ball keeps the lower back from being overstressed, as in a regular situp) and knee tucks (working toward hanging leg raises) and wiil add movements like woodchops over time, but realy don't need to. The abs are a stabilizer set, and realy, just stabilizing the body during movements will work them plenty.
    Want a great ab workout? Go bust rocks with a sledgehammer. That works the abs, hard, the way they're suppossed to be worked.
    Everything worthc posted is great, as well.
    Note that none of these exercises involve flexing or extending the lumbar spine in isolation. they use the abs to stabilize the spine against force (even the situps involve bending at the hips, while keeping the torso stable)
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Planks are great.

Hanging leg raises are my personal favorite.

But it was *weighted* ab work that really cut up my abs (beyond getting lean enough for them to show -- this is what carved out the "bricks") -- weighted HLRs, situps, and renegade rows. Awesome.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid