Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetic diet at hospital -- wow page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Diabetic diet at hospital -- wow

Primal Fuel
    I went on a site visit at a hospital today. Saw a 51 year old pt with chest pain with a history of hypertension, diabetes type 2, and GERD. I noticed the dry-erase board in the room said, "diabetic diet." So, I happened to be there during her lunch. You'll never guess what she had. (Well, maybe you will, considering we all know how diabetics are taught to eat.)

She had a bowl of spaghetti with meat sauce, a white roll with Promise margarine, and overcooked (dead) green beans. And pineapple for dessert. And cranberry "juice." And this was the diabetic diet! What the hell was the regular diet!?

Wow. I can't believe the majority of diabetes educators, dietitians, and the ADA still believe this is healthy.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I made the mistake of asking for the diabetic diet last autumn when I went in for surgery thinking I would get lower carb meals. Boy was I wrong!!! After many conversations with hospital administration and a lot of research I found out that the doctors feel it is easier to just check the BS of diabetic patients after these meals and adjust their meds accordingly. I'm not diabetic so I had to live with the sugar shock. I was furious! What a stupid system.

After the first day, Mr. Ski brought my food in for lunch and dinner.

ETA: I also found out that most of the hospital food "meat" is TVP. Ugh.
    Last edited by mizski; 10-05-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    The two times I have been in the hospital (pre-primal) I told them explicitly that I was gluten intolerant/allergic to wheat. I was given wheat at every meal. One dinner, I had nothing I could eat. I have now prepared a small hospitalization suitcase. Among other things, it has protein bars.

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    It's unfortunate so manty hospitals are so dumb about diabetes, but I don't think they're getting their info from diabetes educators, as NOT ONE diabetes educator I've met in ten years with a diabetic wife would prescribe that meal for a diabetic. I believe, as Mizski posted, the hospitals do know better, and just prefer using meds to proper diet, even though the meds have other side efects as bad as high sugar.
    The meds cost more than a proper diet, and they can bill Medicare / your insurance for them.
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    It's also about cost. Breads, pasta and TVP are cheap. Not that the canned veggies cooked into submission are expensive yet you don't even get much of those. So it costs the hospital little for those meals yet they charge you four-star restaurant prices for them. Nursing homes do the same thing. It's just not right.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    It's the same here in the U.K. Even on the Diabetes U.K website most of the recipes contain breads and pasta. It's madness. That said, I do know a lot of Doctors are recommending a low carb diet to their patients now and going against the standard advice.

Dave01 is offline Junior Member
    I have worked in the hospital over 30 years as a nurse and the diabetic diet has changed so much in the last 15 years. I'm a diabetic myself and it's amazing that the trend is to medicate and use insulin to control blood sugar instead of diet. I was told to eat 195 gram of carbs a day and lose weight...(funny) I took control and ate like diabeties did 20 years ago. No sugar, no processed food, little to no bread. I lost 85 lbs. I went off insulin and did great. I am primal now and remain insulin free and my numbers are great. My doctor told me to continue on. It's funny (not) when I go to the dinning room at the hospital and they have 3 veg chooses...deep fried orka, deep fried green beans, and processed cheese covered vegs...I asked where are the vegs and they just looked at me like I was crazy. Not wander amercians are fat, unfit and have little guidness from those who should know better.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    My diabetic mother was in the hospital a couple months ago, They were talking about the diet and my mom was complaining about only being able to have 50g of carbs per meal. I tried to reason with the nurse

Me "doesn't carbs / sugar raise blood sugar etc?"
    Nurse "yea"
    Me "So she's having high fat meals and low carbs?"
    Nurse "Oh no! She has to stay low fat"
    Me "So low fat AND low carb?"
    Nurse" Yes!"
    Me "What other macro-nutrients does that leave, protein. . How do you keep a diet of high protien low fat and low carb? Cant't you get health problems from too much protien"
    Nurse "yes you can, if that happened she wouldnt be able to eat anything! hahahaha"

OMFG /facepalm
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Our dietician is an odd little duck and you'd wonder what she knew about anything by looking at her, however ... any diabetic who has healing to do gets extra protein, there are some form of eggs five days a week, all diabetic snacks have a protein and all sandwiches have meat filling ... and it's real identifiable meat. It could take 24 hours but she'll find you gluten-free foods.
    Not ideal but much better than the last several years. A diabetic snack used to be cookies and "juice".

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    The two times I have been in the hospital (pre-primal) I told them explicitly that I was gluten intolerant/allergic to wheat. I was given wheat at every meal. One dinner, I had nothing I could eat. I have now prepared a small hospitalization suitcase. Among other things, it has protein bars.
    Me too -- rolls, waffles, I forget what else. Fortunately I was only in the hospital overnight, and there was enough (tasteless, lousy) food I could eat -- there was certainly quite a lot served. And the HFCS-loaded fake juice with everything, bleah.

I tend to think they mark down what you tell them and then just serve everybody the exact same stuff ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast