Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prenatal vitamins page

primalawyer is offline Junior Member

prenatal vitamins

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    can anyone recommend a great one?

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    My wife has a skript for this one http://www.duetdha.com/

It is gluten free. I'm sure someone on here will look it up and rip it apart but my wife likes it and the doctor recommended it.
    "Live Free or Die"

primalawyer is offline Junior Member
    Thanks - I'm looking for an OTC supplement to take while TTC

I see. Well I don't remember the OTC supplement my wife took unfortunatly. I do remember though that she was told by her doctor to get 450 mg a day of folic acid before we even started trying. I guess the earlier you up your folic acid the better. I'm sure you can find more info on it online.
    Last edited by Bostonbully; 10-05-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    "Live Free or Die"

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    For TTC I would take a regular multi-vitamin and then supplement folic acid 800 mg. You don't need a prenatal as the folic acid is the important part.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    For TTC I would take a regular multi-vitamin and then supplement folic acid 800 mg. You don't need a prenatal as the folic acid is the important part.
    And then if you have ANY morning sickness, some providers recommend taking the folic acid only and skipping the multi/prenatal entirely until the second trimester. Vitamins tend to cause or exacerbate nausea for some women. And the embryo needs very, very little in that first trimester.

In fact, there's surprisingly little evidence that prenatals other than folic acid achieve anything at all...routine iron supplementation is seen as not ideal, and the outcomes with or without prenatals (other than folic acid) are equivalent.

I'm intrigued to see whether Vit D gets added back as valuable (in doses far higher than a prenatal typically has). Some researchers are suggesting that vit D + fish oil throughout pregnancy dramatically reduces the risk of pregnancy induced hypertension (pre-eclampsia). Oooooh, and my favorite research of all time said that 1oz dark chocolate a day also reduce that hypertension risk
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post

I didn't realize it was that high. I could have sworn the doc told the wife 450 but your a woman so you probably know more then I do lol.

Also surprisingly from our experience alot of prenatal vitamins don't have potassium in them. My wife started to get leg cramps and the doc recommended a potassium supplement (I forget how many mg) and gave my wife a list of potassium rich foods. It did the trick and her leg cramps went away.
    "Live Free or Die"

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    And then if you have ANY morning sickness, some providers recommend taking the folic acid only and skipping the multi/prenatal entirely until the second trimester. Vitamins tend to cause or exacerbate nausea for some women. And the embryo needs very, very little in that first trimester.

In fact, there's surprisingly little evidence that prenatals other than folic acid achieve anything at all...routine iron supplementation is seen as not ideal, and the outcomes with or without prenatals (other than folic acid) are equivalent.

I'm intrigued to see whether Vit D gets added back as valuable (in doses far higher than a prenatal typically has). Some researchers are suggesting that vit D + fish oil throughout pregnancy dramatically reduces the risk of pregnancy induced hypertension (pre-eclampsia). Oooooh, and my favorite research of all time said that 1oz dark chocolate a day also reduce that hypertension risk
    Absolutely to everything you just said I could never take those darn prenatals. It was so bad with my first that the doc gave me 3-4 different types and they all made me sick. After a while he told me to take two Flintstone's vitamins and on extra folic acid and call it a day...lol

I also read research that said that mothers who ate chocolate during their pregnancy had happier babies! Two wins for chocolate.

Getting adequate protein is also key in preventing pre-e.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    I didn't realize it was that high. I could have sworn the doc told the wife 450 but your a woman so you probably know more then I do lol.

Also surprisingly from our experience alot of prenatal vitamins don't have potassium in them. My wife started to get leg cramps and the doc recommended a potassium supplement (I forget how many mg) and gave my wife a list of potassium rich foods. It did the trick and her leg cramps went away.

They used to recommend 400, now they have upped it to 600-800.

free3337 is offline Member
    liver and other organ meats, from fish too is fine
    shellfish
    fish eggs
    bird eggs
    grass fed raw dairy

as per weston price's book, http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib.../pricetoc.html , where he notes primitives giving special emphasis on these sorts of food for those attempting to conceive, those pregnant, and the young and growing, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast