Thread: Animal vs Plant % of Diet... page

Esoteric Fish is offline Member

Animal vs Plant % of Diet...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just read something in which Loren Cordain recommended 35-45% of one's diet be plant based, and 55-65% be animal based.

I feel sort of dumb for having to ask this, but what are these percentages measuring? At first I assumed it was the calories... but then for some reason I thought it might refer to the just the grams of food...

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Probably literally grams of food.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    He's referring to the percentage of calories ( energy). It's based on the ethnographic atlas that takes into account all the H-G sites. It's an average, not a recommendation. NA's plant/animal ratio's average out to be around 62:38 as opposed to 35:65 for H-G'ers... It just shows that a variety of dietary variances make up a total population. Do what works best for you.
    Last edited by Chefgerry; 10-05-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    This is a guideline over time based on % calories. What I try to do is mix it up. Some days it is a bad hunting day but I managed to gather a lot of veggies/nuts etc so I am 100% plant food. Other days the hunt/fishing goes well so its mostly animal based. Other days it is a mix.
    Likley you will find that the bulk of your food is veggie just becasue meat is so caloricly dense. e.g. assume 2000 calories a day. Figure how big a piece of meat/fat you need to make up 1200 (60%) of calories, then take enough carrots and lettuce to make up 800 calories(40%) I bet the veggies are a bigger pile. :-) YMMV
    Cheers
    J