Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non grass-fed butter page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Non grass-fed butter

How much is too much?

I love using butter to cook, mostly for vegs, and my mom has discovered how tasty veggies can be this way, so I'm making more than just for myself and at least she's eating SOME greens now. I have never bought pastured, or grass fed butter but the prices for even the tiniest bars scare me... I guess in the same fashion than grass fed beef does.

If I'm cooking almost daily with conventional butter (country rock brand I think it's called) is that going overboard on vegetable oil and other odd ingredients? I don't have the butter in front of me to list them. I typically use about a spoon full for two servings of vegs, typically broccoli, kale and spinach, but it's no unusual for me to add butter to other things.

Up until now I thought it wasn't anything to really worry about, anybody think otherwise?

Thanks.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    If there are ingredients other than cream and possibly salt, it ain't butter. Ditch the Country Crock and just pick up some of the real stuff. It is sold in 1 lb bricks (often quartered), and is dirt cheap.

Oh yeah, and about how much butter is too much...basically, grass-fed vs. conventional butter has the same issues as grass-fed vs. conventional beef. So, there is a bit more of the not so good stuff (omega 6's), a bit less of the good stuff (like CLA), but is still much better for you than the vast majority of the alternatives.
    Last edited by theholla; 10-05-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: didn't answer original question
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    If there are ingredients other than cream and possibly salt, it ain't butter. Ditch the Country Crock and just pick up some of the real stuff. It is sold in 1 lb bricks (often quartered), and is dirt cheap.
    Where at? regular supermarkets?

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    I use the store brand unsalted butter... it was $1.67 or something for 4 sticks. Only ingredient is cream.

Yup! Not to mention convenience stores, pharmacies, and gas station mini-marts.

Basically, you want to skip this:

and go with something like this:

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Every supermarket will have something that says "Butter" and comes in sticks. You've heard of "a stick of butter" right? That's... just butter. There's probably a cheap store brand. That's years better than non-butter "spread."

That said, every supermarket I've ever looked for it at has also had Kerrygold butter - it's imported from Ireland and is grass-fed. It's more expensive, yes, but you don't use a ton of it at a time, right? Maybe something to think about. I don't buy grass-fed beef 99% of the time because of price, but the butter is such a relatively small expense and it tastes SO GOOD.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Definitely ditch the margarine spreads and the trans fats. Butter is available in every regular grocery store/supermarket. It is in the boxes below all the tub margarines. Make sure it says BUTTER as there are stick margarines too. Butter comes in salted and unsalted. Most popular in the US is the salted butter. As mentioned above, butter contains cream and sometimes, salt only.

Your mom will REALLY love veggies with real butter.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I have nothing to add except to reiterate what others have already said. Ditch the country crock: it's soybean oil, mostly, and some of it is trans fat. Pretty terrible. Just get regular butter.

Hmm thanks for the replies guys! I spend very little time at the supermarkets since I buy most of my veggies and even meat from a pretty big farmers market (no grass fed beef unfortunately) but I'll have to check that out soon. Thanks so much.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    That said, every supermarket I've ever looked for it at has also had Kerrygold butter - it's imported from Ireland and is grass-fed. It's more expensive, yes, but you don't use a ton of it at a time, right? Maybe something to think about. I don't buy grass-fed beef 99% of the time because of price, but the butter is such a relatively small expense and it tastes SO GOOD.
    I also <3 Kerrygold. It is currently my default butter, since my source for organic grass-fed butter is irregular, and I'd rather spend the money on grass-fed than organic if I have to choose one or the other. I do feel a bit of a pinch on the price though, since we can easily go through the 8 oz package in four days in my house!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast