Thread: I've looked at Griff's Cholesterol Primer and still want input please page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

I've looked at Griff's Cholesterol Primer and still want input please

my husband and I began eating primal 4 months ago. we have been fairly strict...90/10 instead od the 80/20. he just got his cholesterol tested. Most of his ratios are ok, but I wanted to get your thoughts…please.

Age 38
    height 6'
    weight 180
    BF% 19-20%

Total 305
    Trig: 102
    HDL: 55
    LDL:230 (Friedwald equation)
    LDL: 127 (Iranian equation)

Total/HDL = 5.54
    Trig/HDL = 1.85
    LDL/HDL = 4.18 (Friedwald)
    LDL/HDL = 2.3 (Iranian)

The one ratio we are concerned about is the Total/HDL. Ideal is 5 for men right? Is 5.5 something to be concerned about?

What do you think about these numbers? His journey with this began 10 years ago, when before the age of 30 he had high cholesterol and we tried lowering it with diet and exercise. (low fat SAD diet) and it didn’t help. Then he was put and statins and it lowered his cholesterol. Then he went off the statins and changed to the low carb, primal diet and these are the results. I admit that I am having a hard time not caring about the high numbers.

his blood pressure has always been normal. As far as we know his blood sugar isn’t an issue. Everything else about him seems quite healthy. Both his grandfathers died of heart disease, his dad struggles with high cholesterol and high blood pressure (on the SAD).

Thanks!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

lcme is offline Senior Member
    How long ago did he come off statins and start "low carb?" Four months ago?

Hopefully someone who has been on statins can help out here, but I would venture a guess that it might take some time for cholesterol and Trig levels to normalize after taking statins. I would keep at the primal eating for a few more months without worrying (that's nothing compared to 10 years of SAD and statins) and get another test to see how the numbers compare.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Looks like your math is off a bit. Iranian puts the LDL at 222. Just get a VAP test and you won't have to worry about calculations and their inaccuracies. Without knowing the IDL and VLDL you won't accurately know the LDL... not that it matters, LDL particle makeup, HDL and TRG are better markers for heart disease risk. At least, currently.

In any case, this doesn't change the Total/HDL ratio. Interesting, my VAP test showed almost the same numbers. LDL was 243 though, mostly pattern A.

Friedwald:
    305 - (55 + [102/5]) = 230

Iranian:
    (305/1.19) + (102/1.9) - (55/1.1) - 38 =
    256 + 54 - 50 - 38 = 222

So...
    LDL/HDL Friedwald ratio: 230/55 = 4.18
    LDL/HDL Iranian ratio: 222/55 = 4.03
    Last edited by barryman9000; 10-05-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: my math was off too! I fixed it.

We just ordered a VAP for him and myself. Hopefully this will bring some clarification for us.

I also follow The Healthy Skeptic's blog and this was his response: The research is clear that total cholesterol and LDL are not strong risk factors for heart disease. The ratio between TG/HDL (<2 ideal, which your husband is) is a much stronger predictor. You can also consider a VAP or NMR test to determine LDL particle size, or a Shiel ox-LDL Triple Marker test. Both are FAR better indicators of CVD risk than a normal lipid profile. Also remember that a TC of 300 was considered normal not too long ago."

We truly want this way of eating to "work". The numbers won't help the life insurance application though.

My Journal

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Cut out grains 100%,supplement with fish oil and coenzyme q10 (depleted by taking statins ) and you will see an improvement ie: Triglycerides will drop and hdl will increase.Ratios are good but will get even better.

we have cut grains out 100%., we do supplement with fish oil....we haven't done the coenzyme 10 though.

My Journal

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    I got my results today as well. I'm quite pleased with the ratios, considering i've been on PB for 6 straight weeks and then a little before then.

Do you mind sharing your numbers, afsjesse?

My Journal

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Trigs 90, HDL 50, LDL 138, Total chol. 206. Blood glucose, 84