Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you buy eggs at the grocery store... page

FMN
    FMN is offline Senior Member

If you buy eggs at the grocery store...

Primal Fuel
    "...what do you buy? I use to purchase the "organic, free-range, etc." But then the owner of a poultry equipment company told me not to waste my money. He said there isn't much, if any difference. Most of the time I am able to purchase local eggs from a farmer friend that names her chicks and writes stories about them, so I know they are treated well. But during the hottest part of our Georgia summers, they don't lay a lot of eggs and I end up buying them at the grocery store. I don't mind paying more for the "organic, free range, etc" eggs if it is true...heck, I pay $4/dz for the local ones. But I don't want to get swindled out of our money by tricky labeling. I found this:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/confinement_farm/facts/guide_egg_labels.html

And I am also really curious about the egg situation in other countries. Is it easier to get local eggs?

I keep going back and forth with the idea of raising our own chickens, but I just hate the idea of having to deal with chicken poop or finding the remains after a raccoon or hawk has raided the coop. I think I need to toughen up or just eat less eggs when I can't get them from a local source.

RednGreen is offline Member
    I always wonder the same thing. I have been eating egglands best for a while now but who knows if they really are better.
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

lizch is offline Senior Member
    When I can't get my neighbor's eggs, I buy local, organic, free-range, with omega-3s. No idea if I'm really just throwing away money, but that strategy did keep me clear of the latest nationwide egg recall
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    When I can't get my neighbor's eggs, I buy local, organic, free-range, with omega-3s. No idea if I'm really just throwing away money, but that strategy did keep me clear of the latest nationwide egg recall
    Pretty much this. I normally get local, pastured eggs from the farm market, but sometimes I underestimate our egg needs and have to resort to supermarket eggs. I don't pretend that they are as good as the farm market eggs, but I figure there is a decent chance they're better than the non-organic, stuff-twenty-chickens-in-a-box kind of eggs. It just irks me that they cost more than my farm market eggs!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Joe B is offline Member
    Just buy the omega 3 eggs, organic and free-range are a gimmick.

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    I agree with Joe, at the grocery I buy plain omega 3 eggs. Free range only is meaningful to me if I actually know the farmer, otherwise it is just a marketing label.

picard is offline Junior Member

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The so-called free range, organic eggs always have more vibrant yolks than the regular eggs. The regular ones look downright sickly in comparison. So I don't think it's a complete waste of money.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating the regular ol' sunny meadow eggs but tried switching to some organic free range eggs and was actually kind of surprised at how different they looked when I cracked em open.

I did notice thought that they have a definite different taste to them... the only way I can describe it is that they were more tart?

Oh yeah... is Flax Fortified the same thing as Omega-3 fortified? I assumed it meant the flax was to add Omega-3's?

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    In the UK/ Europe, 'free range' doesn't necessarily mean the hens actually get outside, and 'organic' is a much better standard. Sounds like 'organic' doesn't mean so much in the US, though. (Here we have the reverse problem - it's so hard and expensive to get organic certification that you have people working to that standard who can't afford to get certified.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast