Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist Pain During Push Ups! page

TimBell is offline Senior Member

Wrist Pain During Push Ups!

Primal Fuel
    Here's a great video on how to help prevent wrist pain during push ups http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYgLRst4sls

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Thanks.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

No problem Matt, glad you enjoyed! =)

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    I have a ganglion cyst in one wrist and have been doing push-ups holding on to hexagonal dumbbells (the kind with non-circular ends) for the past few years. I find that doing them close-fisted is too painful on my fingers and I can't really get the full benefit of the exercise that way.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

That's a special case, and does require some special attention and care. Do you find it too painful while using the handles or when trying them on your fists?? As long as you can find a way to perform them without pain, then I would suggest doing them that way. So if using handles or dumbbells works for you, then use the dumbbells!! =)

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Been doing these fist pushups for a while. It makes all the difference.

Good stuff John, it really does help a whole lot of people with pain in their wrists. Also, fun fact, when performing push ups on your fists or on push up handles it tends to make you keep your elbows tucked in closer to your ribs forcing you to use your chest and triceps in a more functional manner and takes pressure off the shoulder joints =)

Jib
    Jib is offline Junior Member
    I practiced martial arts for a number of years (and still go back to it now and then), and we always did push ups on our fists -- the first two knuckles, specifically. A 'vertical' fist should work just as well, though the first two knuckles should be much more stable than the last two, which is predominantly what would naturally be on the ground if you use a 'vertical' fist.

Either way, I'll vouch for what john said

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I've always found Hindu pushups (dive bomber forward and back) to be much easier in the joints in general.

@ Jib: I too have spend my whole life involved in martial arts and agree fully with what you say about the vertical fist, that's what I teach in the video as well as to my clients. The first 2 knuckles as you know are the strongest and when using a vertical fist for punching or push ups should be the main contact point. Well said buddy!

@ tamo42: Hindu pushups and dive bomber push ups are an excellent technique for promoting full range of motion and mobility! A topic that I have wrote about in my upcoming article for this months issue of the free "Jungle Fit Magazine". It will be out any day now on my website www.Jungle-Fit.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast