Thread: Sprained my ankle page

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

So I was doing hill sprints today. Managed two, and was jogging slowly to the bottom of the trail to begin sprint 3 when I turned my ankle right over on a twig. I've sprained this ankle before (a few times, in fact - last time was last year coming down some steps) but it seems worse this time. There's a bit of bruising. I've iced it and strapped it up best as I could but I can't completely rest it as I still have to go to work.

Is there anything else I can do to help it heal? I have a holiday in less than 2 weeks and there will be a lot of walking and standing (I'm visiting Korea and Japan for the first time - to go ride rollercoasters. So I'll be walking around parks all day!)

That, and a 15K in December (I had a 10K planned for end of October too, but will have to see how that one goes).

It's really frustrating as I was just starting to build up my speed and distances. Grrr.

Brad is offline Member

For the first couple days it is super important to Ice it at least 10min every hour all day. Take a cooler full of ic, or an Ice pack if you have a freezer at work with you every day and try to get it on as much as you can.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Ah! I sprained my ankle too! I've always been pretty hard on it (I have a tendency to ignore pain...), but I'm sure you know that this is a STUPID way of dealing with any injury. I've been icing mine diligently for the past couple of days and I haven't seen much improvement. I was going to ask my PT for further advice, but maybe try looking up some ankle exercises once it heals a little longer? I was always curious if rubbing or massaging was helpful as well...

Fortunately, there are plenty of workouts you can still do without the use of your ankles. I got creative and started designing all different bodyweight exercises that didn't stress my ankle. Biking is always my go-to when I can't run, (I used to get shin splints A LOT,) plus you can do "sprinting" on a bike just as you would running. Tell me how your progress goes, I'm right there with ya.

musajen is offline Junior Member

A friend who was a professional soccer player told me to soak my ankle in really hot water with epsom salt. Then after that, rub an icy-hot type product on it and wrap it up. I'm not sure if it really helped more than just icing it and elevating it, but might be worth a try.

Chunster495 is offline Member

I know how you feel... i sprained my ankle about 2 weeks ago too and my performance just still isn't the same... you should be okay for your trips to korea and japan if it's just walking around and visiting... take the advice of icing and resting... remember the basic, rice (rest, ice, compression and elevation). After you feel a bit better,.. read this article/video to strengthen it for your runs...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/how-to-fix-bad-ankles/

I Korean and haven't been there in a while... it's really fun there... have fun.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks. I first sprained this ankle as a child and have done it three or four times since. I have always had very poor balance and proprioception - I'm mildly dyspraxic. I can do small movements (tying my shoelaces, using a knife and fork, and I touch type) but big, complex movements are difficult for me. I took me quite a while to get my head around kettlebell snatches. I still can't ride a bicycle.

I guess I'm a pretty good candidate for ankle sprains then huh? I have a wobbleboard, which I got about 10 years back, but haven't used it for ages. Guess I need wipe the dust off it and use the damn thing!

I put a big brace on it today (which I bought last year when I sprained it). I can walk on it if I don't flex my ankle too much. It should be OK for my holiday, at least.

I guess my ankles are more vulnerable now I run on the balls of my feet. I had to quit Thai boxing because of my ankle but I'm not going to let it defeat me this time. Thanks for the link.