Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (beachrat) page 8

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've been stalled for a while, mainly I believe because I'm still lazy, but I might also be overdoing the fat. And with my teaching gig coming to a close for the semester, there will be even less structure to my days. I think it's time to re-focus. So, this isn't an official 30DONN but I thought I'd try to track food for a while and look for patterns.

Breakfast: Smoothie. 1 smallish avocado, less than half a frozen banana (sliced), about a cup of homemade kefir (from whole milk), about 2 tablespoons of whey protein. Delicious.

Lunch: two eggs fried in bacon grease (from homemade bacon), on a nori seaweed sheet, and the Thanksgiving turkey's liver. Oh, with some store-bought jalapeño red sauce (nothing bad in it). And home-doctored mustard (added horseradish and hot sauce). Very filling.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Yesterday I ended up having more for dinner than I probably should have -- I wasn't *that* hungry but came in from teaching, and it was cold and dark so I made an egg and had some salmon, then I ate a couple of pieces of heart jerky. About half an ounce of my own baking chocolate melted with coconut cream, then hardened in the fridge. I don't think I ate like crazy but since I wasn't that hungry I should have just skipped it.

However, I didn't feel that great after lunch -- not sure if it was the liver, how I cooked the liver, or something in the canned salsa. I find that when I don't feel great after eating something, I feel like I need to eat something else to, I don't know, take its place or "fix" my stomach or something. What works better is to let my stomach empty itself out before eating anything else, but my mind doesn't always go in that direction. I want to become more conscious of both triggers and better ways to react when I accidentally hit a trigger.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread here that when they react to something, they drink a lot of green tea. I might try that next time.

This morning working from home was easier. Coffee for starters, then another couple of eggs on a nori sheet, and some lamb. I was hungry earlier than I thought I should be, before noon, but I went ahead and ate 3-4 ounces of lamb, then within an hour had a smoothie (avocado, kefir, two strawberries and about two inches of frozen banana [left out the whey powder this time]). I sort of want a nibble of something now (6 pm) but think I might try to ignore that thought and fast until breakfast. I do better with longer stretches between food.

I'm eating fat when it's there (lamb) or needed for cooking (eggs), but otherwise trying to cool it. Not too hard but I miss not thinking about it!
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

Obviously there is something about a food journal that doesn't inspire me to consistency. Otoh I haven't been doing too badly on the food and am definitely getting back into the groove. I feel better most days. I am deadlifting 110 three reps once a week. Don't laugh - I am up from 85# a month ago, and 110 is really heavy for me. I'm still working on the pull-ups intermittently, but am doubtful that I'll reach that goal before the new year rolls around. We shall see.

However, after a question on Panda's Primal with a side of FABULOUS thread, I've been mulling over my "problem food" (which I know I have since i've been stalled for a while).

It's not a food but a situation: food I already have (prepared). I can't buy anything I shouldn't eat, and that's not actually that difficult. But sometimes you just end up with stuff. And it's really difficult for me to throw stuff out. And now that I am technically self-employed and the semester is over so I'm no longer teaching, I don't have an office kitchen to dump stuff in.

For instance, I had a party the other night and ended up with leftover cheese, tons of meat, and some dark chocolate; also graham crackers, since people had made s'mores after the bonfire died down. Now, my dad has graham crackers in the house all the time. I have never eaten a single bit. But in my house? They didn't last until noon the next day.

I also had more leftover beer, already cold, than could fit in my fridge. Now, I brew my own beer, so I have cases and cases in the house. But they will keep relatively indefinitely, so those beers don't tempt me; in fact I prefer to hoard them. The cold beers though? They had to be consumed.

This sometimes even leads me to eat when I am not hungry, although I've gotten much better at talking myself out of that. I find having a cup of coffee or tea is an easy stall tactic that usually distracts me from thinking I need to clear something out of the fridge before it goes bad. Also, I have an iron gut and don't actually worry too much about food going bad.

Other tactics that work well for me is keeping things frozen until my fridge starts looking empty. And I'm also lucky that I'm not one of those people who doesn't like leftovers or won't eat the same thing several days in a row.

At the moment I don't have a lot of parties coming up so I should be good till close to Christmas. I am hopeful that a real clean approach until then will have me highly resistant and in good shape for the end of the year parties. Lots of work to do and many outdoor projects to stay busy!

Heidy ho neighbors

Well, it's been a while, but I've stayed primal, reasonably paleo. Still not a regular exerciser, alas. The days just seem too short somehow to fit it all in!

I started a 30DONN on Monday, then gave in and had some "free food" at a department function yesterday. So, I'm starting over. Normally I don't get worked up about such imperfections, but since I was only two days in, what the heck. I had also meant to start recording my meals and whatnot again, on Monday, so since I didn't do that I just decided to re-set the counter.

Before anyone starts imagining cake or a doughnut, let me just say that my false step was beef and veggies, but catered for the function, and swathed in whatever the place considered "szechuan sauce". Obviously plenty of sugar, which I realized as soon as I put it in my mouth (not that that stopped me). Sugar actually doesn't bother me much, although a real binge like bananas or sweet potato (I'm really a very dull straight-and-narrow eater and realize that technically those are not cheats -- they're just not good daily foods for me!) will send me off for a nap.

This stuff, however! Uncomfortably full after about half a plateful. Rumbly tummy within 20 minutes. Nothing else too exciting but really felt crummy for the next six or so hours, up to bedtime. Slept just okay. What would they have put in there? I guess there's no telling, and I have to remind myself sometimes that people consider lots of stuff acceptable ingredients that don't even enter my perception as potential food. Ugh.

Oh well! Reinforcing my motivation for the 30DONN is a good end even if the means weren't all that admirable.

So, here we go!

Day one:
    Slept pretty well last night, although nearly woke several times. Up around 5:15.
    Broke my fast around 10:00 AM. Two eggs, three small burgers (at most about 1/4 pound total), liberal bacon grease in the cooking. About 1/2 or a little more of one raw carrot. Stuffed!

Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post
    Placeholder for 2011 specific goals & action plan.
    Following Mark's advice. Drawing on the vibe in Batty's supreme advice for Grokettes.

So far - to be thinned out and/or collapsed into no more than three goals:

Wear no-sleeves shirts proudly because my arms will look like Linda Hamilton's in T2.
    Invest appropriately but frugally in home food production: freezer, meat grinder.
    Organize hunting co-op with gun nut buddies, including e.g. trading back jerky etc. to them for fresh meat from them, and more hunting myself.
    Eat to live (don't live to eat).
    Help one family member or friend commit to eating real food, meat & fat, no grains.
    Sprint (goal to be defined)
    Rather late although I previously commented on these goals in April 2011 (here) but thought I'd provide a final update re: these 2011 goals before coming up with 2012 goals (ideally before it's time to develop 2013 goals LOL).

Wear no-sleeves shirts proudly because my arms will look like Linda Hamilton's in T2.
    Technically no progress, although I have been seen in public in no-sleeved shirts. Not proudly and my arms definitely don't look like Linda Hamilton's. But I beat myself up less about it and am working from the inside out on caring less about superficial things. I know, being buff is a health goal at heart, but the goal above isn't really about that, I have to admit.

Invest appropriately but frugally in home food production: freezer, meat grinder.
    Got the small freezer (and love it); have not gotten a meat grinder. Technically I am currently unemployed -- I have contract work but no day job -- so am not planning any purchases at the moment. When I regain financial liquidity, I think I'd rather have a meat slicer, for bacon and jerky prep.

Organize hunting co-op with gun nut buddies, including e.g. trading back jerky etc. to them for fresh meat from them, and more hunting myself.
    Joined the local pistol and rifle club a couple of months ago; haven't been to any meetings yet to form those bonds. I just spaced out for the last one. Next meeting is this coming Monday night, and I am trying to make sure I remember to go! It's edging toward my bedtime but I can make the effort

Eat to live (don't live to eat).
    Can always improve in this department, but the current 30DONN is a start in refocusing.

Help one family member or friend commit to eating real food, meat & fat, no grains.
    Unexpected and really un-targeted success in this realm. One of my friends went super hard core paleo based largely on my comments, and has really made a tremendous success of everything. She's far surpassed me!

Sprint (goal to be defined)
    Yeah. Still to be defined
    Last edited by beachrat; 07-25-2012 at 08:11 AM.

All righty! Yesterday I had another big carrot for supper and went to bed around 9. I didn't stop computering early enough, or for whatever reason I didn't sleep all that well, so I went ahead and got up around 4 because I was wide awake.

Have already gotten a lot done! One of my goals in this 30DONN is to build better habits of standing at my standing desk, instead of using any excuse to sit around on my duff. Doing well on that one so far today. Also I disassembled a large cabinet/cupboard and moved it outside where it will (eventually) become the outline of another raised bed. This time I will remember to put the landscape fabric down first, which I hope will keep some of the roots from growing into it. Always something to learn and do better next time!

Seems like there was something else to report but I have a very long and demanding To-Do list for today, so no time to dawdle at the moment! More later.

11:20 ish

2 small-ish onions sautéed in bacon grease
    2 fried eggs
    1-1/2 raw carrots
    a few small pieces of homemade bacon

1/2 oz Baker's unsweetened chocolate

Last night:
    Smoothie of homemade kefir, four frozen strawberries, about 1/2 banana (also frozen), some whey and cocoa powder.
    About a piece of homemade bacon (in pieces but added up to about a piece).

Again did not get to bed as early as I would have liked, around 9 after wrestling with trying to do plane and hotel reservations (and order Comfortis) online. Did not sleep well. Need to build back those better habits!

Since last posting:

Went off the 30DONN Friday night with one gin rickey, about four beers, and staying up until midnight at least.
    Compounded Saturday with chips to taste varieties of homemade salsa at a Tomatopalooza festival, which made me feel sick for hours (the chips I assume).
    Then Sunday went after church to lunch with some folks, and the only/best thing on the menu where we went was a burger. Which came with a slice of melted "American" i.e. processed cheese. Which I ate. Which made me feel really bad for the rest of the day.

Sooooo. Re-start the 30 DONN on Monday (yesterday). Not because I have to but because I really want to do 30 solid days. Or more solid than last week, for sure!

Onions sautéed in bacon grease and a fried egg, a carrot, and random handfuls of homemade bacon. Didn't eat all of the onion because I got full first.

The afternoon went south with a pet emergency that turned into a pet funeral this morning. Dinner last night after everything was finally wound up was the rest of the onions and another handful of homemade bacon. Fat is an anti-depressant in my lexicon.

Breakfast has been a little more bacon and two big carrots. More grazing than a hearty primal meal, but that's what I felt like, and I'm plenty full right now.

PrimalCon New York
    Yesterday I ended up having a total of 3 large carrots, and for dinner around 7 had a few half slices of meatloaf slathered in bacon grease. Yes, I was still feeling blue over the unpleasantnesses of the previous day and morning pet funeral.

To bed reasonably early, and although sleep wasn't immediate I was probably down for the count by 9:00. And then wide awake before midnight. I actually thought it must be 4 or so since I haven't woken up in the middle of the night in a long time! I checked the time to see if I should try to drowse or might as well get up, and was really surprised. Then I had a few ideas about a cover letter for a job application I'll be submitting soon, knock on wood, and didn't really have any trouble to speak of when I decided to cut the light.

The usual tea after rising, and had a little too much breakfast around 9:30 -- bacon, the last large carrot, and the rest of the leftover meatloaf with hot mustard and some other spicy sauce. And a hot pepper.

Not focused on the scale but on more reliably feeling good and sleeping well. Oh, I remembered to take my fish oil and vitamin D this morning, thanks to an ongoing email conversation.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast