Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (beachrat) page 3

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Strategic assessment of 2010 (Oct-Dec)

Successes:
    *Lost some weight.
    *Good sleep almost all of the time.
    *Keeping the house clear of non-primal stuff makes eating clean straightforward.
    *Making time to prepare good food on nights and weekends.
    *Pretty good on taking D3, fish oil, multivitamin, C, regularly.
    *IF also easy. Could be good to structure periodic IFs, make sure not to overdo it.

What's Working:
    1. Keeping the house stocked with good clean food. Grass-fed and pastured meat and poultry, wild-caught fish and seafood, avocados, eggs, vegetables, frozen berries, macadamia nuts, coconut everything.
    2. Less screen time, tv and computers; earlier bedtimes.
    3. Surprisingly don't miss beer, hardly ever.

Challenges and Barriers:
    = No real commitment to exercise yet
    = Weakness for yogurt and other creamy things
    = Occasionally eat when bored/restless, instead of only when hungry
    = Need to recognize new limits of drinking capacity
    = No HIIT
    = Early intense mood improvement has waned, but work & life stress ratcheting way up through December could at least partially explain that deterioration
    Last edited by beachrat; 01-04-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Placeholder for 2011 specific goals & action plan.
    Following Mark's advice. Drawing on the vibe in Batty's supreme advice for Grokettes.

So far - to be thinned out and/or collapsed into no more than three goals:

Wear no-sleeves shirts proudly because my arms will look like Linda Hamilton's in T2.
    Invest appropriately but frugally in home food production: freezer, meat grinder.
    Organize hunting co-op with gun nut buddies, including e.g. trading back jerky etc. to them for fresh meat from them, and more hunting myself.
    Eat to live (don't live to eat).
    Help one family member or friend commit to eating real food, meat & fat, no grains.
    Sprint (goal to be defined)
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

A very good day. Got back on the wagon for the five primal movements; worked long and hard from home, avoiding the soul-sucking office; felt positive all day long. Picked up my CSA box and bought some other stuff at good prices. Stocked up and ready to keep cranking tomorrow!

I just had the Best. Breakfast. Evar.

Take one medium/large cast iron skillet in which you baked/roasted two (sliced) huge onions yesterday.
    Gently fry a few slices of bacon.
    Remove the bacon.
    Add as much fresh spinach as you can fit.
    Saute a little.
    Pour roasted chicken schmaltz over the spinach.
    Saute to taste. Mix it all together.

EAT.

(No time for pictures! Too delicious!)

Vitamins - check
    Primal movements - check
    IF since late afternoon yesterday - check

Snowed/iced in: alas

Work work work: yeah

I 'accidentally' had veggie puree for breakfast. I had a bunch of carrots not getting any younger in my fridge (now that I'm eating right, I don't snack much and when I do it's not carb snacking, not even good carbs!). Found a recipe for "carrot souffle" and modified it (cutting out sugar, flour, adding cauliflower). But when I was done, there was a bit too much for my baking dish, so I ate a little bowl of puree -- still hot from the stove, thanks to my now-much-beloved immersion blender. Wowza. So delicious I almost hated to bake the rest of it.

Here's the recipe as modified (sorry, I don't know where I got the original):
    • about 2 pounds baby carrots
    • defrosted bag of cauliflower
    • 1 quart chicken broth
    • 1/2 cup coconut oil (liquid)
    • 2 tablespoon minced onion
    • 3 eggs
    • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Cook carrots until soft in chicken broth. Purée.
    2. Preheat oven to 350.
    3. In large bowl, combine pureed carrots, onion, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, cinnamon, and eggs.
    4. Beat all ingredients until smooth.
    5. Pour into a 2 quart souffle dish, lightly greased with coconut oil.
    6. Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes, center should be firm to the touch before eating.
    7. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired, and serve.

From the final results, I think they may have meant for me to drain the veggies before pureeing. I assumed the whole point of using broth was to keep it. Oh well.

Next time: halve the broth, nuke the carrots, and increase the fat. Maybe add some nuts? Maybe another egg?

NB: I mainly made this recipe because I had half a bag of baby carrots (the huge bags from Costco) aging in my refrigerator. Seems to be a terrific way to use up aging veggies, with a smidge of protein and some fat. With some experimentation I'll hope the results can be carved into squares and used a week or two.

A few notes:

* Kale chips, how I love thee.
    * Stress can still totally disrupt sleep. But it's easier to get back on track when your body knows how much better sleep helps in coping with unavoidable stress.
    * Sunshine is good, and winter does not contain enough of it.

I had an incredible job opportunity come to me out of the blue, from first hearing about it Thursday afternoon to a two-hour interview with the first line recruiter yesterday afternoon. I'm still recuperating! But when I got home after the interview yesterday, my adrenalin crash was phenomenal. I went to bed at 7:00!

I woke up at 2:30, got up and did a few things that were racketing around in my head, and went back to bed around 4:30. Got up again after 8. I expect to have another Big Sleep tonight, and then get back into my groove.

This is the most important professional opportunity of my entire life. I would sure appreciate everyone who has a chance sending positive vibes, prayers, psalms, or whatever psychic energy and good will you can muster. Thanks in advance!

I don't track anything and really haven't since I went primal four months ago. I used FitDay when calorie-counting and am still tracking the downward weight trend in Nutridiary (I have to wean myself off watching that number ). I'm down 25 pounds overall and about two sizes in clothes.

The primal menu suits me very well - not a big sweet tooth (although I was really developing one over the last decade) and not a big fruit person. Cut bread out a while ago, but was getting back into noodles and stuff. I'm happy with just meat, so the first few months I was very VLC -- I must say, kind of half-assing it on the actual science and just thrilled to be sleeping well, feeling good, and also dropping the LBs.

Here's the weird thing - My tastes have radically shifted. At first the whole nut thing was total pleasure: I splurged on expensive macadamia nuts, and doled them out as my special treat. I thought Almond butter was the best thing ever invented and bought a bunch of it so I would never run out. Now I almost never eat nuts unless I'm stuck in the office, failed to plan ahead, and that's what I have there.

The hardest mental shift is to grok (sorry) the anti-CW role of fat -- and calories, for that matter. I was in a serious plateau right after the horridays. I hadn't really fallen off the PB wagon (except a couple of days of higher than prudent alcohol intake) but was dragging and blue. Didn't help to be snowed/iced in something like four times in three weeks, or that it was the first Christmas etc. after the break-up of a 15-year relationship. But I digress. I realized at some point that I was basically starving myself. I wasn't hungry or counting calories or using willpower -- but I'd gotten back into the CW habit of lean meats only, limited this and plain that (I can eat a whole thing of celery just by itself, for the crunch!).

I started slopping bacon grease and chicken schmaltz in a pan, then adding spinach or brussels sprouts or whatever I had in the house. I went back to roasting whole chickens and eating the skin first. Bought all sorts of weird cow parts and roasted them over onions with chipotle (yum). Got back in the pattern of eating such wholesome fat-full foods that it's more normal to IF because I stay full so long than to eat even two meals a day.

And got to see a number on the scale I haven't seen in a couple of years. Fat is magic.

Ha ha so of course I immediately run across this thread started by Griff: EAT THE FAT.

Breakfast: four slices uncured bacon, two eggs, in a cast iron skillet I last used to bake yams. OMG unbelievably delicious.

I have a long day away from the house today, so I wanted to really fuel up. I think that did it!

Posting in this thread:

I'm in. I wasn't as strict in my January whatever-I-was-doing as I had been the months before! I was definitely letting dairy creep back in, and I had some absolutely awful (overprocessed and artificially sweetened) yogurt with the worst excuse in the world, "to get it out of my fridge". Ugh. I've stalled weight-wise (I know, I know, but I have to track somehow) but clothes-size-wise continue to improve a little, gradually. So, a focused February (short month LOL) will be very good for me.

I've been keeping green tea in the rotation, about 4 cups a week, but I'll cut that out, along with the yogurt and other dairy. Everything else I'm already doing I think, so for February the goal is to be SUPER CLEAN every single day. I think I'll try mainly meat and non-starchy veg.

And I have to get in a routine of doing the five movements (to my pitiful best) every day, too.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast