Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (beachrat) page 2

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have a cold or at least some sinus congestion -- the weather here has been frigid and I hope it is nothing complicated and won't linger. I'm still mostly sticking very close to primal, at least 95% and most days 100%! I love the food and tend to cook more than I can eat, and then it takes me a while to get through all of the leftovers!

I need to add in the exercise, especially now. Work has become really really stressful again, and sad to say that the last few nights I also haven't had the wonderful sleep I was enjoying for a while. Which makes work more stressful... The next few days I should be able to work at home, so I will have time to take a break and do *something*. I just have to commit and make myself do that.

"Just" <-- lol

I just took my first intentionally icy primal shower. Zowie! There's snow on the ground, but I just needed to do something to shake it up, so to speak. I had to turn the temp up some in the middle, so I could stand it long enough to wash my hair, but zapped it back to icy after that. I felt like my hair was freezing solid! I can see how it could get addictive though - my eyes are still popped wide open from exhilaration.

Also, I'm nearing the end of another 24-hour fast, then out to another horriday party. It's been increasingly stressful re: work and other challenges, and several disappointments across the board lately. Plus a cold or sinus infection, I don't know. But I've stuck very tightly to eating primal (including delicious grass-fed beef patties and avocado smoothies) and for the most part have maintained healthy sleep, most nights, despite everything.

First day of family Xmess went well. I took home-made sauerkraut and a great beets thing, and my sister had gotten some super-high-quality sliced turkey from Trader Joe's. I've started the "five movements" exercises this past week too, and enjoying that although it's shameful how out of shape I am! Well, the wall pushes and squats are going well, planks and jackknifes somewhere in the middle, but the pull-ups are barely happening. I have a long way to go on all that! But at least I'm starting.

Saw this article today: Probiotics R good for upset tummies.

All in all, all is well. Will take some red wine for the festivities tomorrow (if I don't get snowed in), and the second pate' I've just taken out of the oven (smells incredible, and I hope I improved the recipe -- we'll see!). So, that should be good for the day.

Did not gain over Christmas and hit a new low -- 20 pounds down since October, which is not as fast as I would like but at a good pace that suggests permanent fat loss. Continue not to have trouble staying on the diet except for the occasional alcohol splurge. Got some terrific deals at the local healthy grocery - NY strips at half price, chicken sausage at half price, and about a dollar a pound off whole free range chickens.

I looked and almost bought one of the $150 freezers Mark recommended, but in the end didn't pull the trigger on Best Buy's year-end sale, because their pick-up available date was 30 Jan-07 Feb. I never know when I'll need to travel for work, and in that time maybe there will be a better deal. Or maybe not. Anyway, I may regret it but that's how it went.

Started exercising before Christmas (doesn't look like I mentioned that above) but then we got a ton of snow. Which by itself wouldn't have affected my routine, but the first day I went out to play with the dog, and when I came back inside, ice in my boot tread caused one of my feet to go out from under me in a dramatic fashion. I landed in kind of a split and partially on some furniture near the door. (I should probably reorganize my furniture.) Anyway, after screaming in pain for a while, I could hardly move for more than a day. Strained the muscles in my left leg from gluteus maximus down through my gastrocnemius. Owie. It still hurts to work the clutch in my car (I've only driven twice since then). I started the exercises again a couple of days ago and discovered that my right knee also has some pain when moving through certain angles, and a few other things aren't as healed in the exercise positions as they seem in normal body positions. So, I'll be easing back into it, with the things I can do without pain. I was already way down on the starting movements and this is going to make it even slower. Well, that's okay! Anything is better than nothing.

More to come.

Lindsey is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on the weight loss! I wonder how much muscle you have gained in the process!

Thanks, Lindsey. Some muscle gain, but I have been worst on adding exercise. I find the shift from grains & processed foods very easy, and getting long good sleep has also come relatively easily. I've gotten so out of shape (and I used to be in excellent shape, in my youth LOL) that I shocked myself when I started the five movements. I also need to sprint and/or do some weights or kettlebells. Getting into a better fitness pattern is my main goal for this month (and the whole year): strength training and some HIIT every week, along with the basics.

Will see how my knee feels today -- that's the last worst thing from my fall, and I hope it's better soon!

Goal: Re-boot

Okay. My knee is not better, and I just took some pictures that were, well, sobering. Time to adjust.

I decided several days ago to do The CrossFit Love 30 Day Paleo Challenge. The restrictions aren't really that different from my usual choices these days, minus the odd glass of wine and one day that I went off the rails completely. But as noted a few times, I haven't really been serious about the exercise. On the other hand, one leg is super strained and the other one has a bum knee, so I think I need to lay off (from what I've barely started!) at least until exercising isn't actively painful. Anyway, the rules, starting 03 Jan:

1. Do not eat dairy. This includes butter, cheese (hard and soft), yogurt (even Greek) and milk (including cream in your coffee or tea).
    Already off all of that except very occasional butter, for cooking eggs or eating yams. Will substitute coconut and olive oil.

2. Do not eat grains. This includes bread, rice, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, corn and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa and sprouted grains.

3. Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (soy, black, kidney, etc.), peas, lentils, and peanuts. (No peanut butter, kids.)

4. Do not eat or add sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc.
    Done, done, and done.

5. Do not eat processed foods. This includes protein shakes, processed bars (like Zone bars), dairy-free creamers, etc.
    I like 1/3 to 1/2 scoop of whey in my breakfast smoothies. I'm not sure that's allowed here. I'll try some variations. Maybe go back to putting some almond butter in them, or just plain experiment more with different concoctions. I'm out of avocados so it's moot for the moment, but I will definitely re-supply soon. Perhaps I can get newly creative.

6. Do not drink alcohol, in any form.
    Yeah. My last few forays back into drinking (after about 6-8 weeks with nothing alcoholic) did not make me feel like drinking a bunch more. On the other hand I have an opened bottle of cabernet sauvignon that might not be too good in a month. So, we'll see. I'll try.

7. Do not eat white potatoes.
    Not a problem. I prefer yams and sweet potatoes anyway.

I'm hoping that by week two I'll be able to re-boot the exercise undertaking. I've really been surprised by how much painfully uncomfortable my knee still is (which I didn't even realize I'd hurt until I started the squats etc., after the other leg was more or less back to functional). Ah well.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Also, food pr0n:

PS would appreciate info on how to resize the pic.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi There,
    On #5 above I think making your own smoothies is not the same thing as eating anything processed. I think the "processed" they are talking about there is regarding artificial junk, colorings, sweeteners, veg oils, soy, etc. They mention shakes because some people think a Slimfast shake is healthy.

Robin (a beachrat of the Western variety)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hiya Paleobird - thanks! That will make things a lot simpler. There aren't any great privations for me in their rules but it will be good for me to have a time-goal focus... for any temptations that spring up. I just need one dinner party or the like to 'use up' the opened wine!

That site is really focused on the exercise aspect, crossfit rah rah rah. So maybe that's why their eating stuff is not too severe to me. I'm hoping some of the gung-ho get-in-shape momentum does rub off, with any luck. Your mountain climb is a terrific goal!

Also, here's a picture of my walking companion -- I'm not doing 5-10 mile walks (yet?) but she would love it. A little more time and a little less laziness - paleo energy to the rescue!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast