Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (beachrat) page 10

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Still struggling to stay on the straight and narrow while life keeps ensuring constant variations in the things stressing me out. Was doing all right on the body movement stuff until about a week ago, when I was away for a weekend and haven't been able to get the habit-forming back on track. Will try tomorrow!

Trip coming up in a couple of weeks so I'm just trying not to go too crazy through then. Probably another 30(45) DONN to run after that up until Thanksgiving.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

I got some ketone strips but this morning they showed I wasn't in ketosis. I have a hard time believing that, so I'm going back to tracking my food intake to see if I can figure out what's going on. Should be good to tune in my eating too, since I always end up remembering I ate more than I thought...

Okay, so I entered a rough estimate for today (I never measure anything) and for today I have 104 g protein and 45 carbs, although I just realized I didn't enter probably 1/2 to 2/3 cup of leftover vegetables I ate while cooking my egg in the morning. Onion and carrots, quite possibly mouthful of ground beef (my leftovers are pretty eclectic).

Still, should be under 150 g protein easily, and definitely under 100 g carbs.

According to nutridiary, about 53% fat, but it's probably higher since I didn't enter anything for frying that egg in the morning.

I can give up whey in the occasional smoothie, but I might need to think about cutting egg whites. Seems like a pain in the neck and a waste, but I guess I can feed them to my dog.
    Last edited by beachrat; 09-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

Arrow Re-set Restart Whole 30

Day one.

Man. Time to recalibrate.

I started all of this two years and a month ago. I first stumbled across MDA at an overseas conference, when I was overworked, excessively stressed, and weighed about 40 pounds more than I do today. The first six months of primal was a super high -- easy to do, tremendous mood lifter, and I probably dropped 35 pounds without really going 100%, just gradually cutting more and more bad stuff out and gradually adding in more and better meat and fats. Not worrying about the balances or anything, and it just worked.

Then I worked at it a little harder, tried to be a little more conscious, and dropped 15 more pounds, maybe a little more on my best days. But that was about it, and believe me I was not ripped, cut, six-packed, or anything like that. I felt REALLY THIN because I'd lost 50-55 pounds, which of course was a great accomplishment.

But by this time (about 10 months in), I was out of a "real job", uncoupled, and in a very different mental place. The super high of the primal discovery had faded to my new normal, and I was hitting very close to 100% on the diet, but slacked off on the fish oil, vitamin D/sunshine, new projects like chickens or jungle gym, and very slack on exercise. Edged up on the weight a few pounds.

Last year's horridays, 14-15 months in, and winter -- added five pounds. And in the last month, five more.

So, here we go. Re-set, restart, and nothing but primal. One day at a time, and my first commitment is to say something in my journal here every day. See ya tomorrow.

Day Two

Yesterday was rough for unrelated reasons, but here's a new day and another effort.

New rules: No chocolate in the house except unsweetened baking squares. Finish the macadamias (only about 12 left in the can) and don't get any more until January. Coffee is okay; tea - green or herbal - better. Computer and TV screens off by 7pm, bed by 8pm. Bodyweight exercises every Tu, Th, Sa. Remember VitD, turmeric, VitC, fish oil.

Stock up on: Salmon, frozen veg. Continue working down to the bottom of the big freezer.

Get back into making: sauerkraut, paté, crockpot meat, stews, bone broth.
    Last edited by beachrat; 11-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Day Three.

Fairly quiet day. Trying not to get stressed out by someone who is behaving very erratically and inappropriately. A part-time job should not undermine my positive attitude and commitment to same.

Food: I had an egg and some cheese in the morning. Then I was going to have lunch around 2:00, but after a tin of sardines with mustard and a few spoonfuls of coconut cream, ended up walking the dog instead. I have some garlic out to peel, and will sauté that in some butter or bacon grease, then brown some ground pork that's defrosted and coming up to room temp now.

I really dislike winter. Did not do the bodyweight exercises yesterday. Need to get a new larger crockpot but spending money is a real wrench for me these days.

I need a job for my mental health. Normal stress would be better than the roller coaster, or that's what I think on some days anyway.

Day Four.

More garlic and pork today, with butter (maybe a little too much). Also ate some heart jerky which I was prepping the garlic, and prepped an extra bunch of garlic which then eventually turned into pesto with basil from my sister-in-law's garden. Haven't decided what to do with it, exactly. Probably good with eggs?

Sunny and actually almost warm today. Went in the yard a few times, burned some deadfall, and mid-afternoon walked the dog on our usual expedition.

Very low spirits, but gotta keep on keepin' on. I'm thinking about making some ricotta 'cheesecake' stuff if I can find that recipe again, then a good early night because I have a lot to do tomorrow.

Days Four and Five.

Damn, missed a day. But I've been pretty good, both days. Tonight I had three eggs fried in butter (with garlic) after class. And I should be going to bed soon-ish. Fairly stressful days but I've been good, and limited, on the food side. One point is to make sure I'm not eating on a schedule but only when I'm truly hungry.

Had to walk from the distant parking space and then dashed to get the car before the rains broke -- managing to trip over a root and gouging the hell out of my right lower leg in the gravel. It's starting to REALLY hurt but it's not serious. Will be taking a bunch of aspirin before bed, and finish another bottle of water.

Bootsie always gets me up early regardless of when I go to bed, but tomorrow I may go back to bed after that.

Oh, and one of my unemployed sisters has an interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed, positive vibes, prayers, and other forces of the universe all focused in her direction. Insha'allah.

And, well, it's a busy time of year :/

I have an Event today so will start the count again probably tomorrow. The last week has been pretty stressful and I've had too many evening things with too many glasses of wine. Cheesecake, too.

But yesterday I ate nothing until about 15:00, then only spoonfuls of coconut oil. Is that a fat fast? I meant to look it up but did not. I feel a little better today. Hate these gray fall days and the increasingly cold weather but it's a fact of life so I need to find better ways to cope, adjust!

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    Why would you eat spoonfuls of coconut oil? It's a great source of omega-3 but why are you doing it?

From your profile I see you posted in the Eat Moar Fat challenge thread -- did you read the thread? Start from the beginning and it will provide a lot of useful info. The first post includes a link to Paleobird's thread, which refers to long ongoing discussions here.

There is also the concept of a fat fast, which I have found relatively effective. But generally, I also slurp up the olive oil if any is left over when I eat sardines, eat all the fat in a nice hunk of lamb, and lick the spoon after dropping (homemade) bacon grease into a pan for frying eggs. Good fat tastes good.

Briefly:
    - Fat is a good quick way to provide fuel for your body that will burn consistently instead of spiking and falling the way glucose does.
    - Fat is highly satiating, which is really important when your other foods are mainly protein (low mass) and veggies (don't satiate for long).
    - Fat is lube for your intestines -- lubricating is better than beating them up with fiber.
    - Fat is an antidepressant for me, and for all of these reasons I prefer ketosis.

Most people don't need to go overboard as beginners, depending on how they've been eating, but you have to throw out conventional wisdom, not just modify it.

Here are some old threads that might be of interest:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread5079.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post211013
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19367.html

Also, you might want to watch "Fat Head", a movie / documentary. It was on Hulu and may still be.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast