Thread: How to get my mom on Prima ASAP! page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

How to get my mom on Prima ASAP!

Shop Now
    So, my mom has a blockage in her heart and has to get stints put in. I'm pretty sure that my mom is going to blow the whole primarl blueprint thing out the window, if ever approached about doing it. She doesn't really know that I'm doing it as I live away from home. My mom's on a severe SAD diet filled with grains, sugar, and other things. She is somebody who cannot exercise much, she gets out of breath and is already diabetic and takes all of the meds that go with it. Even worse, she was just given a statint for her 'high colesterol'. To put it bluntly, at the age of 51 my mom is in pretty bad shape and I'm very concerned for her. She's also very skeptical about any 'fad diets' and isn't one to really pursue anything for very long diet wise.

I know this has been asked to death, but..... how do I get my mom switched to primal? Research articles or something, I've seen them posted somewhere. Her docs. of course will advise against anything like this, but maybe I can be a motivation factor for her with my mild results already.

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    Parents will almost never heed their children's advice. Case in point: One of my favorite ER doctors tried to get his mom to comply with his advice--even told her exactly when she was likely to die if she did not--to no avail. She passed away pretty much when he'd predicted she would.

The advice/information has to come from someone else, preferably someone she would see as an authority. I don't know where your mom lives, but if there's a low-carb friendly doctor within reasonable driving distance, you might be able to arrange a visit. I know standard low-carb isn't as helpful as Primal, but it's a start. You can search on this blog:

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

If you're close with any of her good friends, you could try to get one of them to show her Dr William Davis's blog.

Alternately, if you're super rich (or have siblings willing to pitch in for the cause) you could surprise her with the gift of a personal chef for the next several months. You could ease her slowly and sneakily onto a better diet. Maybe.

It's a hard thing you're attempting. Good luck.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I am very sorry about your mom. Unfortunately, it is very hard to change someone. The research is all here. Given the urgency of her situation, it would be worth trying to persuade her. Go easy on the grokky stuff. Use as many mainline sources as you can. Good luck!

Haha, personal chef! Love it. Nobody's rich in our family; however, perhaps I'll get the PB as a Chrismtas gift for her. Gotta try at least. Thanks for the suggestions.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    Mate first up tuff thing to have to deal with and good for you for having the courage and patience to give it a go ...

So the question is .. what will she respond best to ?
    - you (as others mention parents often suck at tking advice from their kids)
    - doctor (see the other post above)
    - literature/evidence: collate some data from here and from other posts here refferencing same thing
    - scare tactics - can she be shocked into action- worked for me
    - other family members? does she have a sister/brother/aunt/uncle she respects who you can sell this to?

My point is i guess that you should figure out who she listens to and how she listens and then plan accordingly

good luck

The only person who my mom is more gullable towards than myself is my sister, who just happens to be an LPN. Yes, another kid, but one with authority. I'm trying to get my sis on this PB thing like I am and am not sure if she will or not. If she does, I know she will see immediate results and if nothing else, that may be an influential factor in getting my mom on board. Thanks for the tips and condolences.

stef is offline Member
    Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" - and he has a new book coming out in Jan called "Why We Get Fat." He reviews all the research.

bUMbLeB is offline Senior Member
    I've had some success with my mom, more than expected really. I think the answer to your question really boils down to your relationship, and how well she might listen to you; I have a great one, but even so I never hit her all at once, just spoonfed her priorities as she seemed receptive. I'm still at it!

FWIW, I think what most helped was a combo of quietly (for me!) being an example, and letting her ask what was going on, and also just making food for her & dad whenever I'm home! I'm a passable cook, and they're happy to have me do it (hey! free lunch! it's not like I don't owe them.). IOW, a series of respectful, thoughtful conversations, punctuated with tasty primal meals.

Remember, as your parents: 1) they are older than you, and they brought you up, so learning from you is a role reversal, and is always going to be best accomplished with tact and gentleness, in small doses; 2) every conventional wisdom is much more ingrained (HAH! get it? free pun!) in them than in you, and is harder to question. OTOH, they love you, and when they see you healthy and vibrant - and not some fad-diet twig warrior - they can't help being happy and proud, and that's a great place to start. Just go slow, and start with the most important stuff, and don't be overwhelming.

I'm hopeful and optimistic for you and your mom. You're a good son.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwineil View Post
    Mate first up tuff thing to have to deal with and good for you for having the courage and patience to give it a go ...

So the question is .. what will she respond best to ?
    - you (as others mention parents often suck at tking advice from their kids)
    - doctor (see the other post above)
    - literature/evidence: collate some data from here and from other posts here refferencing same thing
    - scare tactics - can she be shocked into action- worked for me
    - other family members? does she have a sister/brother/aunt/uncle she respects who you can sell this to?

My point is i guess that you should figure out who she listens to and how she listens and then plan accordingly

good luck
    Good idea

NutMeg is offline Senior Member