Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 4 Hour Body - New book, thoughts? page

mikewootini is offline Senior Member

The 4 Hour Body - New book, thoughts?

Primal Fuel
    I was curious if anyone had any opinions, thoughts one way or the other about Tim's new book -

The 4 Hour Body

I know when I read that 30 day transformation that I was somewhat skeptical, apparently it's in the new book. Anyway.. curious if anyone here knows more about it.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...e-4-hour-body/
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

evolution is offline Junior Member
    I think it would probably be really good, just a couple weeks or so ago he did a huge post plugging Robb Wolf's new book, so he is certainly hip to Paleo/Primal lifestyle and seems to be sold in the concept.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...diet-solution/

isaboblue is offline Senior Member
    Never hurts to read a new book. Tim's got some interesting ideas, but sometimes he's bit kooky!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    I'll get it just because it's Tim Ferris. I don't expect to be blown away by some revolutionary new way to gain muscle or "become superhuman", but I'm sure there will be tons of solid content.

Worst case scenario it'll be entertaining and have some good info about stuff that isn't talked about much. Best case there will be solid insights into health and fitness as well.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    Ditto what Joshy said.

mikewootini is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I was just hesitant after reading that 34 lbs of muscle in a month post. (at least I think that's what it was..)

If I buy the book, I feed into the machine..

I did like some of the ideas in the 4 hour work week, and I have to admit, it's through that book that I discovered paleo and MDA in the first place (via links, hops, and jumps).
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

rgorski3 is offline Junior Member
    I'd agree with everybody on taking his stuff with a grain of salt. That said, it was a fun read and recommend it for that reason along. Just do your own research if you implement his recommendations.

FYI, Tim's Slow Carb Cookbook contains several recipes from this site (Mark's Daily Apple).

For those who want to do their research, you can access all the links at the end of chapter at the following two addresses:
    http://ingredienthealthreview.com/bl...-guide-part-1/
    http://ingredienthealthreview.com/bl...-guide-part-2/

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    There are some chapters that are gold........some tips that I think you would have to pay lots of money to get. As a person who works with elite professional athletes some of the work in there by Barry Ross and the NFL combine routines run by Shilstone and Az performance athletes are given away for 24 bucks. I also can tell you that the chapter on ice baths and UCP1 activation is money. With elite athletes they use that technique more often than you can imagine.

jasonbunnell is offline Junior Member
    I read most of the book and think it is very similar to TPB. Both suggest cutting out carbs from flour, bread, sugar, etc. Both suggest the less is more exercise model. Overall I like The Primal Blueprint better.

One thing I did get out of the book that has helped keep me motivated is the idea of getting body fat measurement instead of just weighing yourself. I had thought the only options for body fat measurement was skin calipers (which don't seem very accurate). I found a place in Dallas that does hydrostatic weighing for $35 (Texins @ Texas Instruments). If you want to measure your body fat but are having a hard time finding a place to do it and can't do the skin caliper on yourself, you might check out Omron's Fat Loss Monitor which sells on Amazon for $25. It is showing me about 4 points higher than the hydrostatic weighing.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My best friend and I have been looking at reviews and visiting the website. We are both going to read this book as soon as we're finished with what we're currently reading. Ferris' hype on the website is insane, but I figure if his techniques even do half of what he is claiming they will, it will be worthwhile. I'm a big fan of "The Four-Hour Work Week"* and am actively working towards setting up my life thusly.

*which was updated/revised in 2010 with more than 100 new pages, so if it's been a while since you read it, you might want to also get the 2010 edition.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast