Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Doctors About Nutrition and Diet page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Teaching Doctors About Nutrition and Diet

Shop Now
    At this pace, we might live to see CW fall

“Physicians have enough barriers trying to provide their patients with nutritional counseling,” Ms. Adams said. “Inadequate nutritional education does not need to be one of them.”
    http://nyti.ms/a0AQBj
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Cool article SS. I had heard a ways back about how little nutritional training doctors get. I don't think most people realize that, though.

I like to think that many people are realizing that they have to take responsibility for their own health, and educate their doctors.

Who knows, though!?
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Excellent article, SS. Thanks for posting.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    The primary reason I left the endocrinologist that saw me through thyroid cancer was because he pooh-poohed nutrition. Imagine that!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    np guys.
    It's really incredible that nutrition, given it's huge impact in our health, is not given the priority it obviously deserves.
    The amount of information being generated that contradicts CW is increasing very quickly and can't be ignored for ever.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    My doctor in the local medical centre was amazed when I was able to stop taking steroids for asthma. He asked what I had done to manage this and when I told him no grains at all, no oils high in omega 6, lots of fats, meats and veg - he looked blank. I felt that he thought it a coincidence rather than the cause of the asthma going away!

He took my blood pressure when I told him how much sat fat I eat - checked on the computer from the last time it had been checked - and of course, it was lower.

I would have liked to have had him decide to suggest this way of eating for a couple of other asthmatics - but he didn't.

Medics have a lot to learn!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by SerialSinner View Post
    At this pace, we might live to see CW fall

http://nyti.ms/a0AQBj

yes, that's all well and good, SS, but it says NOTHING about training them in anything other than CW 'nutritional' practices! I've been to the ADA website and it's full of CW minsinformation (and that's me being polite about it!). Yesterday was Healthy Kids Day, apparently. So I downloaded their PDF on healthy and nutritional snacks for kids. These were some of the suggestions: -

Mini pizza made from half an English muffin topped with pasta sauce and LOW or FAT FREE cheese (yes, they're recommending frankencheese for growing kiddies!)
    Hoummus and breadsticks
    PBJ sarnie (apparently that's healthy!)
    Smoothie made with non-fat milk!
    Low or non-fat yoghurt with fruit

Everything was 'low fat' this or 'non-fat' that. I CAN'T believe this is what the ADA's recommending you feed your kids!

Having said that - the slogan of the BDA is 'Trust a Dietitian to Know About Nutrition' *FACEPALM*
    La tristesse durera toujours...

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Shrinking_Violet, I second your facepalm.

OH NOES! TEH SATURATED FATZ R GONNA GET U!!!1
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Shibbel is offline Member
    It would be great to have doctors that had the knowledge and time to educate the masses about nutrition. In their defense however, they don't have the time, or the man power. Doctors here in the US are in short supply, and overwhelmed. I would like to see a better understanding on how diet can improve health.

As for actual weight loss, and diet advise? A better plan would be seeing doctors and insurance companies pushing people to properly trained nutritionist for diet guidance.
    Last edited by Shibbel; 10-05-2010 at 09:44 AM.

davidtx is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I wish we could get access to the training course from UNC. I checked and its only available for medical students and their instructors. Is anybody here one of those and willing to take a look. I'm really curious to see if this is just more CW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast