Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: List your new experiments from the week page

Mikkijoe is offline Junior Member

List your new experiments from the week

Shop Now
    Sometimes we all need some refreshing ideas, and going through a cookbook (other than PB) can just be disouraging with all the carbs they serve and cook with.

So I was thinking it would be a good idea to get ideas from each other, and primally perfect if they even had pictures: So here are some creations, and combinations we had over the last few meals.

Top ratings: acorn squash, cut in half and baked till done. Scooped out insides, and added that to a pan of cooked chopped pepper bacon with onion (grease and all) Heated that through, added some sea salt and more pepper, everyone LOVED it. a little higher in carbs, just needs to be planned into the day, the amount we had per serving was 22 carbs, but my total for the day was only 48, so that was fine with me!

Simple Sunday Sausage Eggs: 2 1/2 pounds ground seasoned sausage, cooked into a fine crumble, 12 eggs poured over that and scrambled, topped off with sea salt and pepper. Serves 4, and we were STUFFED, didnt need to eat again until 8 hours later

Cookies (or now named Crumbles) Coconut flour and almond meal, coconut oil and butter, an egg, pinch of baking soda and salt, chopped up 85% choc bar. Tasted good, texture--ehhh, crumbled horribley, I almost had them in a bowl with coconut milk over them like a cereal.

Whats been on your plate lately?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I love this idea. I usually don't cook from set recipes, but love getting ideas for new food combinations.

I made ghee for the first time! It was far easier than I had imagined.

Chocolate autumn dessert experiment: Apple slices and crushed pecans, fried in ghee with vanilla and cinnamon, topped with a quick and easy chocolate "mousse" - unsweetened cocoa mixed with mascarpone, vanilla extract, and a couple drops of honey. It was rich, amazing, and came out to around 20 carbs per serving. The chocolate "mousse" was the most important discovery. I always wondered how chocolate could possibly be more delicious. Turns out, the answer was to replace the cocoa butter with butterfat Seriously, crème fraiche and mascarpone are changing my life right now!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Seriously, crème fraiche and mascarpone are changing my life right now!

Me likey life changers~

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I made meatballs with ground almonds for stability. They were shyte.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I will post pictures when I make them again....

But basically I took

1 can of pureed pumpkin
    3tbsp pumpkin pie spice
    stevia
    2 eggs
    4 oz of coconut milk
    2 tbsp butter

And blended it all up with a stick blender. I scooped it into some greased ramekins and then topped it with almond meal mixed with butter. (crust consistency)

I popped them into a 350 degree oven for about half an hour and let them cool completely, and then dumped them out of the ramekins so that they landed crust side down.

I then dusted them with cocoa flower.

And voila, portion controlled individual pumpkin pies.

Each one came out to like 300 - 400 calories, 15 carbs, etc which is pretty much nada.

Bane, I make mine with egg---just like I used to, and I leave out the bread crumb and they turn out great! I add shredded onion, garlic, and carrot, and squueze out the extra moisture (and I freeze that liquid for soup!)

Rivven--thats sounds like pure genious~ I tried to make some bars the other day, and they did not hold together, it has a bunch of various nuts, and a little almond butter and coconut oil, and some dark choc....I froze it knowing I would find a use for my crummy crumbly mess, and Me thinks me just did

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
    Sometimes we all need some refreshing ideas, and going through a cookbook (other than PB) can just be disouraging with all the carbs they serve and cook with.
    Old cookbooks have a lot of recipes that are easily make primal. Everything was homemade because the packaged/convenience foods of today weren't around.

This weeks experiments:

Crustless pumpkin pie made with coconut milk. Very tasty and will make it again for Thanksgiving.

I've been missing my homemade raviolis and I realized I was missing the great fillings, not so much the pasta so I tried making the filling into flattish meatballs and gently poached them, then put the sauce over. Not bad at all.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Rivvin, I am definitely going to have to make that!

mizski, that's a really great point about ravioli (which were the only pasta product I ever really liked). I'm currently playing around with stuffed veggie type solutions, but may have to try the meatball approach!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    This week, I am taking the plunge and trying to cut squash, the thick rinds have always intimidated me. I found canned pumpkin finally at the store, will be trying pumpkin coconut custard, maybe pumpkin coconut flour muffins and pumpkin and Greek yogurt.

Also, later in the week, chicken heart instead of beef for a bolognese style sauce to be served over zucchini noodles.

Laguz is offline Member
    Last night I made an interesting desert-type thing. I mixed leftover pumpkin with plain greek yogurt (non-fat was all the store had, unfortunately), cinnamon, and a little honey. I admit I accidentally dumped too much cinnamon into it (I love cinnamon!), but it was still good! I want to try it with whole coconut milk next time.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast