Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No thyroid and PB page

davidtx is offline Member

No thyroid and PB

Primal Fuel
    I have a friend that had his thyroid removed. I've been talking to him about PB, but his response is:
    Unfortunately, since my metabolism is relies upon synthetic hormones the results of a high fat diet on me are similar to those resulting from drinking the water in Mexico
    It's too bad, he's already raising his own vegetables.

Can anybody point me to relevant information?

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm this is odd. I have no thyroid either - removed in 2004 due to thyroid cancer. I take synthroid and I have been primal since May 2010. I feel great.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps he has the high fat = diarrhea reaction that I've heard some report here; that may have nothing to do with his thyroid.

I don't know a solution for that, though...

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    There's just so much more information needed. What kind of fats is he referring to? And is he having a reaction to the fats... or to the fats combined with tons of processed carbs? Does he have this kind of reaction to an olive oil/balsamic dressing, or to a double cheeseburger with bun?

Some people do have some issues when first eating higher fats, mostly those who were living low-fat for years. This is because the gall bladder has not been processing the stuff it needs to digest fats because it hasn't had to. Many people just up the fats slowly and let their body adjust and get back to the business of doing what it's supposed to. It happens with people that don't eat meat for a long time, too... they stop producing the enzymes needed to digest protein. But the body will start up again, when it needs to, it just may take some time and effort to pay attention to the body's reactions.

Most people here also have adverse reactions when it comes to vegetable oil type fats.

So, long post really basically saying, there's not enough info here to give any helpful information, but maybe further questioning would help.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Thanks! This gives me a bunch of questions to pursue with him.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    While I still have my thyroid I rely on replacement hormones as well. I also do not have a gallbladder. Going primal actually stopped the almost daily bouts of diarrhea that plagued me for years.

marcadav - My wife is in exactly the same situation - Hashimoto's and no gall bladder. She only had a problem when we made (and ate) a HUGE batch of onion rings (coconut flower and fried in coconut oil). We were a little nervous about the fat and no gall bladder, but so far, so good. It will be interesting to see what is going on with my buddy.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    My husband has thyroid cancer (thyroid removed 17 yrs ago), no thyroid or lyphnoids, Takes 2.25 mg synthroid daily.
    he has been eating primal since I switch over...
    He has had no issues and has lost a little weight not trying.. prob. about 80% primal

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    What your friend said is absolutle b.s. I have no pituitary, therefore no thyroid function. I've been primal for a year now. He's a very confused individual.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah... I was kind of thinking either he doesn't have a good grip on what is going on with his thyroid (most people don't), or maybe he just doesn't want to eat primally and is using that as an excuse.

You might want to consider both possibilities when speaking with him. If he seems resistant... he probably is.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast