Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend me a cake/desert recipe page

Graeme is offline Junior Member

Can anyone recommend me a cake/desert recipe

Primal Fuel
    I'm turning the big 40 soon my kids have offered to cook me something I see a great oppurtunity to teach them healthy can be tasty.
    I fancy a cheesecake

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    A cheesecake is not really going to be primal, between the sweetness and the dairy. There are ways to fake it I suppose, and ways to make it "more primal" than a standard cheesecake... but doesn't that just teach them that healthy eating = eating passable approximations of what they really want?

Looks like you may have two potentially-opposing goals here:
    1) have a treat for your birthday (20%)
    2) give the kids a teaching experience about healthy, delicious primal food.

You might be better served pursuing those two goals as separate exercises, since cheesecake doesn't strike me as a great working example of healthy primal food.

But hey, maybe there's some non-sugary, non-cheesy cheesecake recipe out there? (I can't imagine calling it "cheesecake" though...)

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Have made this several times. My non-primal hubby actually prefers it to "real" cheesecake (as do I) http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/02/time-for-cheesecake/
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Flourless dark chocolate cake and coconut ice cream.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Batty also has a recipe for cheesecake that has been recommended you can see the recipe and photo here http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/cheesecake-34/.

Other primal desserts are fruit in a chocolate fondue (just melt dark chocolate into coconut milk and you have a decadent chocolate dip!)

I also posted a recipe for baked "pancakes" that turned out more like a cake or cornbread consistency. It doesn't have any sweeteners, but you could easily mix some fruit in the batter for sweetness and do a primal frosting. yummy!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I think I like Batty's crust better...I'll definitely be trying that out next time!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Here are some other primal dessert/cake recipes:

http://thisprimallife.com/category/recipes/desserts/ (The carrot cake looks very yummy)

http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/09...chocolate.html (Chocolate birthday cake)

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Mizki, thanks for referencing thisprimallife.com - I immediately added that as a favorite! I've already found a ton of killer recipes there and can't wait to try them out!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    A cheesecake is not really going to be primal, between the sweetness and the dairy. There are ways to fake it I suppose, and ways to make it "more primal" than a standard cheesecake... but doesn't that just teach them that healthy eating = eating passable approximations of what they really want?

Looks like you may have two potentially-opposing goals here:
    1) have a treat for your birthday (20%)
    2) give the kids a teaching experience about healthy, delicious primal food.

You might be better served pursuing those two goals as separate exercises, since cheesecake doesn't strike me as a great working example of healthy primal food.

But hey, maybe there's some non-sugary, non-cheesy cheesecake recipe out there? (I can't imagine calling it "cheesecake" though...)
    Since dairy is actually not against the primal blueprint just omit the sugar and enjoy a cheesecake with alternatives for sweetness such as blueberry, strawberry, or stevia.

Dairy is only a no-no if you are lactose intolerant or super duper fat and have to do massive cutting.

Dairy is awesome.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    OK, well what do I know. :D And it does look like there are a lot of recipe possibilities listed here! Great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast