Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dear Mark: Q about the 80/20 rule page

  1. #1
    erica057's Avatar
    erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    436

    Dear Mark: Q about the 80/20 rule

    Primal Fuel
    Does the 80/20 rule mean:

    80% primal foods, 20% whatever you want?

    -OR-

    80% primal "unlimited" foods (meat, eggs, fibrous veggies, etc), 20% "grey area" foods (fruit, nuts, legumes, dairy, etc)?

  2. #2
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    The second one, but if you want to sneak some of those unspeakables, feel free, only live once and all that jazz.

  3. #3
    kennelmom's Avatar
    kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate of SC
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    The second one, but if you want to sneak some of those unspeakables, feel free, only live once and all that jazz.
    that's pretty much how I interpret it.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

  4. #4
    Jenny's Avatar
    Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,527
    Basically everything you can do to stick with primal, the better off you'll be. If that means 80% of the time you're primal in diet and 20% of the time you're not, you're still better off than you would be with a regular diet and lifestyle.

    Personally I wouldn't interpret the 80/20 rule as a literal percentage suggestion, but more of a general statement that you can cut yourself some slack so you don't get overwhelmed by the idea of strictness.

    Later as the transition difficulties ease, it'll come naturally to be more strict with it -- for example, my husband (who's more Primal than I am right now) has been surprised to find that his eternal sweet tooth is easing. He wasn't planning to commit this much to Primal eating, but he's found that he is just not interested in soda and ice cream anymore, it all tastes too sweet. We take this as a sign that his body's adjusting well!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

  5. #5
    Setabas's Avatar
    Setabas is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    161
    I just started (with the Primal Leap kit) and my only 20% has been a glass or two of red wine a night and it's working like a charm. I wouldn't get too into the percentages though as I think you could really mess it up if you did.

    Since 20% is a mathematical concept, you could look at it as follows:
    Say you're perfect daily intake approximated 2,000 calories. For a week that would be 14,000 calories. 14,000 x 20% = 2,800. I don't think things will work well if you "splurged" for a total of 2,800 calories a week, but maybe I'm wrong. My wine 20% adds up to about 25% of that number a week.

    Realistically, when my 30 day leap period is over, my 20% may be a drink here or there or a meal out with friends/family when I enjoy non-primal fare and I'll see how I look and feel by doing that.

  6. #6
    queen_sheba's Avatar
    queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Setabas View Post
    I just started (with the Primal Leap kit) and my only 20% has been a glass or two of red wine a night and it's working like a charm. I wouldn't get too into the percentages though as I think you could really mess it up if you did.
    My 20% is the dark chocolate, usually daily. It has to fit in with my carb count though from now on. I have to plan my meals first and see if there is room left and how much.

    Otherwise, don't have any desire to eat pasta, bread, rice....(apart from a wee slice of banana bread my flatmate made)
    Scottish Sarah

    Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

    Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

  7. #7
    Mollymoe's Avatar
    Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    115
    I don't think it actually matters that much how you view it. My interpretation of the 80/20 rule is that you should do the best you can and not beat yourself up if you sometimes have something that is not strictly primal. So many diets can lead to an all or nothing mentaility and in the past if I 'fell off the wagon' I'd often get caught in a ongoing cycle - " oh well I've cheated already today so I may as well have x as well and start back again properly tomorrow, next week, whenever...". On the PB I allow myself to have something 'off plan' if I really want it and then get on with striving for 100% again. The key for me is that I have to actively choose to eat it (and hopefully enjoy it), and not just eat it mindlessly. Funnily enough, now that I know I've told myself I can have a piece of cake if I really, really want it, more often than not I find myself thinking I didn't really want any anyway.

  8. #8
    Joe's Avatar
    Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollymoe View Post
    My interpretation of the 80/20 rule is that you should do the best you can and not beat yourself up
    me too.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

  9. #9
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Later as the transition difficulties ease, it'll come naturally to be more strict with it -- for example, my husband (who's more Primal than I am right now) has been surprised to find that his eternal sweet tooth is easing. He wasn't planning to commit this much to Primal eating, but he's found that he is just not interested in soda and ice cream anymore, it all tastes too sweet. We take this as a sign that his body's adjusting well!
    Yep yep.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •