Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calorie Intake page

tmac10 is offline Member

Calorie Intake

Primal Fuel
    Hey All!

I just recently started "tracking" and journaling my progress with Primal Eating. I spent a lot of the week researching it and tracking my eats and have found I have a few questions :

How many calories should I be eating to lose weight? I'm currently a 5'3" female, 165 pounds and my goal weight is about 140. Before turning to primal I did Weight Watchers (ugh) and other low fat diets and always hovered around 1000-1200. Now with primal I find myself eating upwards of 1500-1800 a day.

On the question of carbs, I know Mark says that 50g-100g is the "weight loss sweet spot" but what happens when you dip below that? This weekend, unintentionally, I was below 50g both days putting me in ketosis. Will this stall my weight loss and should I try to force myself to eat 50g-100g?

Last question, why does fruit have SOO many carbs? I personally would consider fruit primal since it grows on trees, on the ground, etc so it is an "earth food" but man just 1 banana and a serving of grapes today bumped me all the way to 90g carbs!

Thanks in advance!
    My Primal Journey

"success is determined by
    how you handle setbacks" - lululemon

Weekly Weigh In :
    10/1/10 SW: 165.8

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Being in ketosis should make you lose faster, not slower. For fastest weight loss most stay under 20 carbs, but it's not necessary. Also, don't eat a lot of fruit. They really aren't that good for you, eat non starchy veggies. Occasionally fruit are alright, but they're really just a bunch of sugar. If you want something sweet, eat berries.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your activity, your caloric goal could be from about 1400-1800 calories per day. If you mainly sit at a desk job all day and workout a few times per week, then I would go for the lower end. If you are on your feet all day, walking a lot, plus working out, then go for the higher end. Whatever you do, try it for 3-4 weeks before making changes.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefsister View Post
    Being in ketosis should make you lose faster, not slower. For fastest weight loss most stay under 20 carbs, but it's not necessary. Also, don't eat a lot of fruit. They really aren't that good for you, eat non starchy veggies. Occasionally fruit are alright, but they're really just a bunch of sugar. If you want something sweet, eat berries.
    FWIW, I have found that ketosis personally did not help me lose weight, and I'm sure there are other females here who may have experienced the same. For me the golden spot seems to be the 50-100g range (most days closer to 50 than to 100), along with accidental IFs, keeping calories at just below maintenance, and moving around slowly a lot.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    FWIW, I have found that ketosis personally did not help me lose weight, and I'm sure there are other females here who may have experienced the same. For me the golden spot seems to be the 50-100g range (most days closer to 50 than to 100), along with accidental IFs, keeping calories at just below maintenance, and moving around slowly a lot.
    After a few months of playing around with things, I think this is pretty much where I'm settling in as well....edit to add: but I'm pretty much near my goal weight/size, just trying to do some minor body comp adjustments and burn off those last few stubborn lbs of fat.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    After a few months of playing around with things, I think this is pretty much where I'm settling in as well....edit to add: but I'm pretty much near my goal weight/size, just trying to do some minor body comp adjustments and burn off those last few stubborn lbs of fat.
    Yeah, I'm at that same point too (just need to lean out a little bit more!) Now it's really more about controlling calories and keeping carbs a tad higher.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to address the "why does fruit have so many carbs?" question.

I would lay money on the fact that commercially available fruit is larger and sweeter than the wild fruit Grok ate. Most wild blackberries in my yard are about half the size of the ones in the store (though there are a few that get that big---just not most of them). Wild strawberries (which are mind blowingly delicious) are less than 1/5 the size of an average commercial strawberry. A bag of Trader Joes wild blueberries contains fruit at least 1/2 the size of farmed, non-organic blueberries.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Your mileage may vary on the caloric intake front. Your current specific size and your activity level determine what your caloric intake should be. Here is a link to a calculator that might give you a ballpark idea though. It is also a bf calculator as well.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I think this thread has hit it on the head for me - I'm still TERRIFIED of fat. because it's so calorie-dense. I'm SCARED of carbs because I have PCOS (and therefore am prone to IR) so that just leaves protein.

Still not sure how to sort this out (which is probably why I'm in the mess I am in now!) - I know this has to change but I don't know how to change it).

The biggest problem is I'm not very active (this would be SO much easier to deal with if I wasn't autistic! DAMNIT!) so am TERRIFIED of going over my BMR (which is somewhere between 1587 and 1787 (according to that link that Daemonized just posted!))

I think I need to fix my head first, but I don't know how to do that!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Violet, you can still eat high fat (70% of your cals) and stay within your BMR. Have you given that a try? It takes a few days of fiddling with your menu and playing around with numbers on fitday but once you get into the swing of it it's pretty straightforward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast