Thread: Wondering about all this Omega 6/Omega 3 business page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Wondering about all this Omega 6/Omega 3 business

Hello,

I have to hypothesise about what's making me ill and fatter myself because I have been BARRED from seeing a GP (yes, that's right, barred! As in 'I've been blacklisted by the PCT', but I won't go into that here. I could go private - but I'd have to rob a bank first! Consultation fee + Thyroid test (because that's what I feel it could be) = 407.50. I'd have to starve myself for 3 weeks to afford that! And then there's the problem of them blaming my diet as not being a SBD. The NT I used to bang on about - the one who has shares in grain-product companies (or must do!) also works out of that office, so I bet they are firm believers in the SBD.)

I don't know about the minutiae of all this, all I know is that I've cut out grains, legumes and sugars and eating as much PB listed food as I can.

I don't eat much meat, because I can't really afford it, so I eat mainly oily fish (tuna (tinned) sardines (tinned) mackerel and salmon (can't afford this too often, it's not cheap)

Dairy: - could this be a problem (though I can't see yoghurt being a problem). What about cheese, cream, butter?

Eggs, I eat A LOT of eggs.

Salad veggies and spinach - all the veggies I eat

Bell peppers
    Salad Onions
    Berries
    Apples

About it really. Is it something to do with my O3/O6 ratio being out of whack? I don't know much about this stuff, so that's why I'm asking.

If this is carb-flu - then it's delayed onset carb flu - I've not eaten grains in any significant amounts since April! I felt fantastic a couple of weeks ago, I was practising PBF as much as I possibly could - now this.

If I get any larger I'll bust the seams on these leggings! All I want is to somehow find the answer so that I can get back into the clothes I've got!

It's not only that - my hair is disgusting! I have to wash it every day again now!

So that's it. I'm sorry for those (like CG) who must wish I'd go away, but I'm not going anywhere.

My wrists ache too much now, I'm going back to bed.

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sarah-

I think you and I joined MDA about the same time, so I've sort of been seeing your progress along side mine. If I recall correctly you are struggling with weight gain and increased PCOS symptoms since starting PB? You're not going to like what I have to say - but I suspect you already know it anyway . I really think you should try a STRICT no dairy version of PB for a month. It sounds like you have really high dairy take and it may be causing insulin problems for you.

Of course, all this is just speculation....but it is what I would try next. If there is any way you can add a little red meat to your diet I think that would be great too.

Also - if your joints are hurting you may want to give up nightshades.

Edit - I hate to add this, but if you have been feeling terrible with lots of eggs in your diet, you may want to try a period of time without them. I feel terrible if I eat eggs, nightshades, or dairy. Pretty much everything you are eating!

Good luck!!
    Last edited by jammies; 10-04-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    Hello,

I have to hypothesise about what's making me ill and fatter ....

If this is carb-flu - then it's delayed onset carb flu - I've not eaten grains in any significant amounts since April! I felt fantastic a couple of weeks ago, I was practising PBF as much as I possibly could - now this.
    No, that's a term people use here for feeling tired on account they're moving from being "sugar burners" to "fat burners".

It's basically simple: plenty of meat and vegetables, some fruit and nuts (i.e. don't go crazy on those), and get enough good fats. And get plenty of sleep. Do some exercise but not too much, and avoid sustained medium-intensity exercise. Just walking at a normal comfortable pace - ambling around - is good as a background whatever else you do.

If you want a rigid program to follow - meal plans and all that - then Mary Enig and Sally Fallon's Eat Fat, Lose Fat has three. Those do include a small amount of sourdough bread/pre-soaked porridges, but you can always substitute the equivalent calorific content in sweet potatoes or bananas or something.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eat-Fat-Lose...dp/1594630054/

They have an interesting suggestion for those wishing to lose weight. Buy a big jar of coconut oil. About half an hour before each meal eat a tablespoonful of it. That helps with feelings of satiety and will mean you eat less.

Google UK: Coconut Oil

The sleep's important. Without enough sleep in a properly darkened room, your hormones get out of whack. Spend some of the money on blackout curtains.

liss is offline Senior Member
    the dry wheat-infested side of washington state
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sarah,

First, the Omega 3/6 ratio really is that important. Robb Wolf is currently suggesting *huge* amounts of Omega 3 supplementation for people with health problems. Some might think he's gone overboard. Personally I've experienced a big improvement in my mood and health from taking these massive doses of fish oil. You can see his calculator here:

http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

Please do consider taking sufficient fish oil to reduce inflammation asap. This is especially important if you're eating lots of eggs. They're fairly O6 heavy.

Your weight increase could be due partially to the seasonal decrease in daylight. You could try using a blue-spectrum light box for thirty minutes in the morning to see if this helps. I know it may sound strange, but it does affect your hormones. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Most importantly: if your body is anything like mine, you cannot eat dairy--and you especially cannot eat yogurt--without trouble. No cheese. No cream. Rarely butter.

The only thing I've managed to use without having ill effects is ghee.

I know this is unwelcome news. I *really* hated giving up dairy and I tried to fool myself into thinking there was a safe way for me to do it. (I was making my own kefir from raw Jersey cow milk. It was still causing bad symptoms.)

Another possible culprit is fructose malabsorption. That could be triggered by the onions and apples.

My suggestion to you is to try a semi-elimination diet: eat nothing but fish, meat, chicken, pork, salad greens, olives and eggs for several days. And try to limit yourself to no more than 3 eggs a day. If that seems to calm your body and reduce the water retention, then begin to slowly re-introduce potential problem foods. If, on the other hand, the problem persists then you may have an allergy to one of the animal proteins.

I don't want you to go away. I'd really miss your posts.