Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about going primal page

karinp5 is offline Junior Member

Curious about going primal

Hi all,

I arrived at this blog after finding some awesome-looking recipes and wondering.. why no grains? I'm really intrigued with the concept of the primal blueprint, and would love to try it - well, I'd love to try it, but I've got some limitations (#1 being a broke college student). If anyone could share some tips and answer a few questions I've got, that'd be great! I'd appreciate the insight.

I'm a vegetarian, and am going to remain that way due to ecological/ethical reasons. Also, I've got a sketchy diagnosis of Crohn's disease, and think switching back to meat might screw things up in terms of remission. But I'm thinking the paleo diet might help things out in terms of minimizing the havoc that grains will wreak on your GI, so... is it possible/feasible to follow the PB guidelines with legume proteins and a vegetarian lifestyle? Do people have any experience with this, any nuggets of advice to share? I'm really curious to try out a lot of the recipes I've seen, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about getting the proteins I need without my uber-processed fake meat. Which prompts another question - is tofu okay? I've been looking into making my own, but have yet to try it out.

Any thoughts and tips are welcome! Thanks.

-Karin

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Please read The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith, and then come back and ask your questions again. Most of the ones that you'll have will be answered by that book. The rest will be answered here - but read that book first.

Quick summary: Tofu (and all legumes) are categorically not healthy for humans, and neither are grains. Go read Lierre's book, and then come back and read all of Mark's Primal 101 blog posts.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    ... read all of Mark's Primal 101 blog posts.
    You can do this now while you source out the book (which I haven't read, btw).

karinp5 is offline Junior Member
    I'll read the book once I find a copy of it, but right off the bat I'll say that I'm probably going to remain a vegetarian - in my personal experience, it has been more enjoyable and consistently less distressing than a meat-containing diet. In the meantime, I'm confused - you said legumes aren't healthy, but the "3 More Budget Friendly Healthy Food Tips" page seemed to indicate black beans and lentils were a good choice?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think "vegetarian + legumes + soy - grains" simply isn't what Primal Blueprint is all about. Primal nutrition is about "vegetables + meat + fat - grains - sugar - legumes"

I'm not a primal-is-perfect-for-everyone person, so I'm certainly not going to suggest that your plan is necessarily less healthy. It just simply isn't primal. Isn't there some "vegan/no grains" group out there that would be less like jamming a square peg into a round hole?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    The key question is what kind of vegetarian are you? If you are a vegan, you will get tons of valuable info here on MDA, but you really can't be "on" the Primal Blueprint. The other primal things, like exercise will be valuable for you.

If you are lacto-ovum, you could be primal, but you'll get awfully tired of eggs and dairy. If you can eat fish, you could do fine, aside from the cost to an impoverished student. :-)

Getting off grains should help your GI issues. Beans are not forbidden on PB. They are just something to go easy on. Eating beans instead of wheat and other grains is still a big improvement. I am not "on" or "doing" primal myself. I eat legumes and rice in moderation. Following most of primal has produced miraculous benefits to me.

If you need to stay vegetarian for your beliefs, go for it. Most of us here are very concerned with ethical eating. A lot of us believe that it is morally fine to eat meat that has been raised and killed humanely, e.g. beef from cattle that have been raised 100% grazing on grass then killed quickly and humanely.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Just read Mark's book and Lierre's book. Black beans and lentils are not a good choice. They're more a "what you eat if you really have no choice," choice. The page you're referencing is dated before Mark discovered and developed the Primal Blueprint and should not be used as a source for current Primal eating.

You only think you feel good right now. Wait until you start eating Primally. The difference is night and day - for the better - when you eat the way human beings are intended to eat.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    If you can read The Vegetarian Myth and still want to be vegetarian, then maybe you should consider going all out and just be a vegan - more of a religion than anything else anyway. And religions don't have to be based in reality or logic.

There's a search feature on the blog - put in key words like "grains" "legumes" etc and you will have hours of reading to keep you entertained.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you eat fish? If you do then that's great! up your veggie intake (or keep it the same, you're a vegetarian after all!), up your healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, butter or ghee, cream if you do dairy, coconut milk if you don't) Try to stay away from soy, definitely stop eating pasta (I know plenty of vegetarians that pretty much live on pasta due to it being so easy to make, and so friendly to their lifestyle)

If you don't eat fish... start! you don't HAVE to eat meat or poultry if you don't want to, or if it doesn't sit right with your beliefs. I read The Vegetarian Myth and it's definitely a worthy read (even for a life long meat eater such as myself) so I'm happy that you're willing to read it, but even if the book doesn't convince you to eat meat, just including fish will do WONDERS for your health. Personally I was dabbling with the idea of eating a lot more fish and dialing back my meat and poultry eating, and I'm probably still going to do it, fish is incredibly healthy for you, and I find it to be very tasty as well.

Welcome to the forums, I hope you don't find us to be crazy, as other vegans/fruitatarians/etc have in the past.

Quick edit: Personally, I think a vegetarian diet FREE OF PROCESSED FOODS isn't all that bad, but it would be BETTER if you had some animal proteins thrown in there, and got rid of the unhealthy soy, legumes and grains... interestingly enough that's pretty much the Primal Blueprint right there!
    Last edited by iniQuity; 10-04-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast