Thread: canned coconut milk page

lbt
    lbt is offline Member

canned coconut milk

Has anyone ever bought (unknowingly) a bad can of coconut milk? Other than smell, is there a way to tell via consistency/texture? I think I just got a bad can. I'll leave it at that.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I've never gotten a bad can, but, since you've given little info: separation is normal, but funky smells or colors are not.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    Ha, well, I typically put it in the fridge when I get it home because I like it cold, so maybe that's where I am going wrong. But, no funky smells or colors....it was congealed like on top when I opened the can (couldn't shake it) and had to spoon it in my cup. Then, I get to the middle and it's nothing but water. I tried to stir what was left in there with that and it still was all but watered down. I figured it could be normal kind of like how natural peanut butter does, but my stomach is saying otherwise right now.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I posted at the same time as you were posting...

That's totally normal, even if you had left it at room temp. I normally shake the can as much as possible before even opening it (it helps a little), pour it into a container big enough to hold the whole thing, then shake it like crazy. All at room temperature. After that, it usually stays mixed forever. I've never tried this AFTER it's cold, so I'm not sure that would work.

(What follows is what I posted before...)

Separation is normal... almost every brand I've bought separates. It did freak me out the first time I saw it. And the top part (the "coconut cream") may be VERY thick if it's cool in your house. Sometimes you'll get some little solid bits that are basically coconut oil that has separated out. Those are all normal textures, if that helps.
    Last edited by mayness; 10-03-2010 at 08:45 PM.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    Great, thanks! I feel somewhat normal again.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    I posted at the same time as you were posting...

That's totally normal, even if you had left it at room temp. I normally shake the can as much as possible before even opening it (it helps a little), pour it into a container big enough to hold the whole thing, then shake it like crazy. All at room temperature. After that, it usually stays mixed forever. I've never tried this AFTER it's cold, so I'm not sure that would work.

(What follows is what I posted before...)

Separation is normal... almost every brand I've bought separates. It did freak me out the first time I saw it. And the top part (the "coconut cream") may be VERY thick if it's cool in your house. Sometimes you'll get some little solid bits that are basically coconut oil that has separated out. Those are all normal textures, if that helps.
    +1

Freaked me out the first time as well. As Mayness says, shake it like mad at room temp, then refrigerate if you want.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.