Thread: Beef short ribs HELP!!! page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

Beef short ribs HELP!!!

Primal Fuel
    Ok folks, I lost my virginity today to beef short ribs. Let me tell ya, complete failure!!! I tried to follow the same guidlines as a pork rack of ribs and it was horrible!!! Any help would be great!! I cooked them low and slow 225deg for 5hrs not good!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    ya... pork ribs and beef short ribs are totally different animals, literally. Short ribs need low and slow AND moist. are they tough? they may still be salvagable, try putting then in a tomato sauce and continuing to cook low and slow in a crockpot or dutch oven for 3-5 hrs more.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Google 'short rib recipe' and you will see that every one of them is a braise. That is, brown first, add liquid, simmer on low heat for several hours until tender. If trying to salvage you may need more liquid than just tomato sauce mentioned by moonablaze.

magic is offline Junior Member
    I brown them first thing in the morning and then into a slow cooker with some liquid for the day. They come out moist and tender every time.

marktripp is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips, i just toughed it out and choked them down!! Next time hopefuly they will be better!!

Mermaid is offline Member
    I posted a short rips recipe on my blog a while back. They were delicious and falling off the bone tender. Here's the link: http://realbuttersbetter.blogspot.com/

If you haven't already, consider going with grassfed beef. Sooo much better tasting. Enjoy!
    Mermaid

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Are these grass fed beef short ribs? My wife used to make me conventional ones with no problem, they were one of my favorites. She used to parboil them, then I'd put 'em on the grill, baste them, no problemo, they came out perfect. But I don't know if you can get away with cooking grass fed ones that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    I posted a short rips recipe on my blog a while back. They were delicious and falling off the bone tender. Here's the link: http://realbuttersbetter.blogspot.com/

If you haven't already, consider going with grassfed beef. Sooo much better tasting. Enjoy!
    I'm going to try that recipe; thanks for posting! What's a slow cooker; is that like a crock pot? Much obliged.

Mermaid is offline Member
    A slow cooker is a crock pot. You can often find them second hand at thrift stores and yard sales. Buy the biggest one you can afford. They don't hold as much as you'd think by looking at the outside of them.

Sam Cree, I do use grass fed short ribs. Most grass fed beef is lower in fat than conventional, so they may not be so tender with the boil and grill method you describe. I'd stick with braising for sure.
    Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    A slow cooker is a crock pot. You can often find them second hand at thrift stores and yard sales. Buy the biggest one you can afford. They don't hold as much as you'd think by looking at the outside of them.

Sam Cree, I do use grass fed short ribs. Most grass fed beef is lower in fat than conventional, so they may not be so tender with the boil and grill method you describe. I'd stick with braising for sure.
    I'm pretty new to grass fed beef, but have eaten quite a bit of wild venison over the years. It's pretty low in fat too, and cooks very quickly because of it. I think a slow fire is best on the grill, but I generally use a skillet. But I think the crock pot might be good for it too. We have a smallish crock pot, but they are often on sale in this economy, I notice. Anyway, I'm still experimenting with grass fed beef. I had a london broil, it was very tough. But the grass fed skirt steak was just fine.

I read your blog since my first post and saw that you did indeed use grass fed, and liked it better than the WF version. Interesting.