Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive eating of meat + acne? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Excessive eating of meat + acne?

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed that whenever I eat meat for a few days in a row, I tend to get more acne. Could it be something that is triggering it?

Here are some of the things I eat ... mostly clean, I've eliminated all processed crackers and such.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Thanks for any help!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i've noticed this too. at first i thought it may be due to the fact that i've been taking kelp, but it never did that before. i believe that ketosis can cause acne temporarily. so if your carbs are low enough that could be it. my carbs have been below 30 and i'm breaking out.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    excess protein gives me acne... not excess meat...eat more fat or fattier cuts

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    What kinds of meat and from where? I solved my acne problem by eating a lot of meat and fat, but it depends on what you're eating. For example inflammation will exacerbate the severity of acne so something that would otherwise be nearly unnoticeable can become big and inflamed. Conventional pork and chicken have a lot of omega 6 that will contribute to inflammation, whereas beef and especially grassfed beef shouldn't be a problem. Oxidized omega 6 in oils can be particularly bad for acne so why not overcooked chicken fat? That makes sense to me. Processed meats also can't possibly be a good thing and depending on what they are cured with and what is added to them they can be very reactive. Like if they are cooked with sugars for example. One more hypothesis could be very fatty conventional ground beef containing "toxins" which may lodge themselves in the pilosebaceous unit in the same way that grain lectins do. That is also my hypothesis for why kelp breaks some people out. The thyroid gland utilized iodine to detoxify things like halogens and at high doses it can cause headaches and at lowish doses it may cause acne. Of course if you're eating conventional beef make sure it is leaner and add extra fat from somewhere else. Also consider adding something like 300mcg of iodine per day if you haven't already. A little iodine will likely help but a lot may cause breakdowns. It's about finding your threshold.

Everything seems to set me off except for meat, vegetables, fruits and organic butter and fats so that is what I stick with. Nutrient deficiencies also tie into everything too so make sure to get good nutrition to lessen acne.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

fuhcq2 is offline Junior Member
    how much meat are you eating? Paleo is high fat buy calorie, Not high meat. I find that if i eat too much meat i break out as well. Could be inflamation or a hormonal response. Or possibly you arent producing enough stomach acid. Undigested protein can cause inflammation.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Body stress can cause acne as well as food intolerances. Ketosis or going low carb is a body stress esp. in the beginning if you haven't been on it a while. Insulin spikes can also lead to acne breakouts on the flipside. Losing weight can be a stressor as well with toxins being released from fat. Acne has been blamed on every type of food but correlation does not always mean causation. However I can see how excess protein could be a stress on the body if you aren't used to it.

I think the best way to keep acne down is to try to live stress free and retain dietary homeostasis free from food intolerances.
    Last edited by BlazeKING; 10-03-2010 at 10:29 PM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    What kinds of meat and from where? I solved my acne problem by eating a lot of meat and fat, but it depends on what you're eating. For example inflammation will exacerbate the severity of acne so something that would otherwise be nearly unnoticeable can become big and inflamed. Conventional pork and chicken have a lot of omega 6 that will contribute to inflammation, whereas beef and especially grassfed beef shouldn't be a problem. Oxidized omega 6 in oils can be particularly bad for acne so why not overcooked chicken fat? That makes sense to me. Processed meats also can't possibly be a good thing and depending on what they are cured with and what is added to them they can be very reactive. Like if they are cooked with sugars for example. One more hypothesis could be very fatty conventional ground beef containing "toxins" which may lodge themselves in the pilosebaceous unit in the same way that grain lectins do. That is also my hypothesis for why kelp breaks some people out. The thyroid gland utilized iodine to detoxify things like halogens and at high doses it can cause headaches and at lowish doses it may cause acne. Of course if you're eating conventional beef make sure it is leaner and add extra fat from somewhere else. Also consider adding something like 300mcg of iodine per day if you haven't already. A little iodine will likely help but a lot may cause breakdowns. It's about finding your threshold.

Everything seems to set me off except for meat, vegetables, fruits and organic butter and fats so that is what I stick with. Nutrient deficiencies also tie into everything too so make sure to get good nutrition to lessen acne.
    good point, obviously if im overeating protein it is most likely chicken b/c beef is harder to overeat. but yeah, i say its some sorta innflammation/hormonal thing with too much protein

grokka is offline Senior Member
    So stabby, all processed meats are bad?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    +1 on Stabby's post. Gotta manage the Ω3:Ω6 ratio.

Acne is most often a result of zinc and D deficiency but if that Ω3:Ω6 ratio is off, then it tosses everything else out of balance as well.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Protein could play into it, I'll give Malpaz that.

Processed meats aren't a good idea to have often. By processed meats I just mean processed pork products, namely conventionally raised ones although I'm thinking that pork should be a secondary meat compared with ruminants. Let's just take a look at why conventional processed pork products are not so good.

1. Tons of omega 6
    2. Cured with nitrites without integrated vitamin c (although I have seen processed pork with added vitamin c) - carcinogens.
    3. Smoked/heavily cooked with sugar - AGEs. Highly inflammatory.
    4. Very germy if not heavily cooked, and if heavily cooked then very AGEy.

So perhaps some processed pork is all right but that will probably be the pastured ones. Again, favor fresh ruminant meat. If not organic or pastured than favor lean ruminant meat and add extra fat in from somewhere else.

@ CK I'm by no means zinc and vitamin d deficient but I'll get some very benign acne (due to low inflammation and good nutrition) from dairy, grains and oxidized omega 6. So I'm thinking that those deficiencies will cause it, and resolving deficiencies will improve acne, but for some people they will have to do an elimination diet to be completely clear.
    Last edited by Stabby; 10-09-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast