Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee on empty stomach page

gregdavis.ca is offline Junior Member

Coffee on empty stomach

Shop Now
    Any thoughts on if coffee is advisable to have on an empty stomach in the morning? I usually wait a few hours before eating a meal and will most often have a shot of espresso. Am I hitting my stomach with too much of acid load in the morning?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I can drink coffee or black tea (both with milk) on an empty stomach, but for some reason green tea on an empty stomach makes me extremely nauseous. Not sure why!

I've no idea on the question of whether it's unhealthy to drink coffee on an empty stomach, though.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I can't imagine why it would be. I drink coffee every morning before my workout, then eat after. Been doing this for a couple of years, I see no negative effects.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Often when I skip breakfast I buy coffee. So far I have no problems except for consuming too much coffee. That is a problem.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    If I drink coffee on an empty stomach I get extremely painful stomachaches. It feels as if my stomach has been inflated and it usually makes me nauseous. If other people don't have a problem with it though, it's worth a try. You should be able to feel it if it's too acidic.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    That's been pretty much the start to my day for the last 25 years or so, with no particular negative effects to my knowledge.

If you tolerate it, I don't see a problem. If it gives you tummy upset, don't do it.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I use coffee with a substantial meal (some meat, enough fat, and some veg, etc.) to aid digestion. It does a great job of this, preventing a bloated heavy feeling.

Coffee with too little food, or worse yet, without food, really gets my system riled up.

Your mileage may vary ... but one thing to ask is, if you're healthy and vigorous and all that, and you know how to get a good night's sleep, why would you feel the need for coffee before breakfast?

doghead is offline Senior Member
    How do you feel?

Sounds like you have been doing this for a while - if you feel fine, then keep going. If you are curious, then experiment - eat and then take the coffee, compare how you feel.

As a side note, coffee also has appetite suppressing effects, which is why most "diet pills" are loaded with caffeine.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    As long as I don't overdo it, my system seems to run just fine with coffee on an empty stomach. Sometimes I add a bit of cream. Oh wait, I've given up dairy so those days are gone. *tears up*
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Vicki Lynn is offline Member
    I too drink coffee, black, on an empty stomach and a lot of it - and all is well. Green tea on an empty stomach also makes me nauseated. I think the coffee is just as fine as frog's hair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast