Thread: Chicken hearts and gizzards & other thrift cuts page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Should I go buy some? I saw them at the supermarket today and they're very cheap. I already know how they taste, and I love it, but are they nutritional?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Jeffrey K Guest

Check out the Weston A. Price web site - lots of info on organ meats, including a few recipes.

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Their cookbook, "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig is a treasure trove of recipes of this type (and many others). It&#39;s on Amazon.com.

And yes, they are nutritious - they&#39;re cheap due to the "ewww" factor. I can&#39;t even find this stuff at my local grocer - I have to order it from my CSA. But do read up on this, some of these organs may be too nutritious in large doses.

Yes I understand the "ewww" factor, which is a good thing - keeps certain things cheap. I&#39;m gonna go down there in a minute to buy them. Can&#39;t wait!

bcreager Guest

When I traveled to Brazil a couple of years ago, I ate LOTS of chicken hearts. They were delicious! Very nutritious, and like Jeff mentioned, cheap because of the "eewwwww" factor.

I feed my dogs lots of organ meat as well, as it tends to be very nutrient dense, and cheap because no one wants to buy them. From what I have read about BARF like diets for dogs, you have to be careful not to give them too much organ meat, so be sure to read up.

Granted, they are getting it raw, and you will probably cook it, so probably changes the nutrients a bit.

Enjoy! Wish I could find them around here!

They&#39;re boiling! hehe

bcreager, I used to eat them a lot in Brazil too.

My my they were good! I was gonna eat them all but I felt nasty. Next time I&#39;m getting liver, I miss that one too.

Anyone had bull hearts?

umuhk Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I don&#39;t recall the last time I had beef heart, but heart/liver/kidneys were always a treat growing up when we&#39;d bring home deer. Most of the meat would be packed in the freezer, but the organs wouldn&#39;t keep long, so we had those first.

Heart is good-tasting, but needs moist cooking or it gets tough. Kidneys and liver need lots of soaking to empty them of off-tasting chemicals before cooking (heart just needs the blood washed out of it).