Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Grok had access to other foods... page

natalienw Guest

I was just thinking that many Primal eaters don't eat certain foods simply because Grok did not eat them. Well how do we know he would not have eaten them if he didn't have access to them? What if he would had eaten them if he came across it? Today we just happen to be exposed to more foods and can readily access more variety. Grok could not travel by plane or car to get to different areas where there would be different food varieties, yet these foods had to clearly still exist. Like peanuts and other legumes...don't you think Grok would have eaten them if he came across them? And many fruits. I am sure he would not turn down a fruit because it may have too many carbs- he would just eat it. I have been really researching into the idea of going primal, but am having a hard time fully understanding not eating some foods that are present in nature. Maybe I just need to research a bit more...but was curious as to what others have to say about if Grok had been exposed to other foods, would he had eaten them??

Tarlach is offline Member

Grok would have eaten them if he had access to them.

As he didn't, we have not evolved to eat them.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Clint is offline Senior Member

I think it's more important to focus on what Grok DID do and not what Grok WOULD do. Grok's only concern was survival. He would have eaten ANYTHING that was put in front of him and he would have eaten the most easily obtainable food.

If Grok were transported to today, believe me, he would just as soon eat twinkies and Big Mac's than hunt down a Bison.

Also, remember, we are Grok. The whole basis of the Primal Blueprint is that our genes are basically the same as Grok's, so if we would eat it, then he would too. So, again, I like to focus on what he actually did and not what he would do if he were in my situation. That's my $0.02

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Nataliew, these things come to mind:

- Fruits: Modern fruits have higher carb concentrations due to artificial selection through time (think of a wolf vs. a Yorkshire terrier).

- Legumes: They are not recommended as part of the primal diet due to their high content for toxins and anti nutrients. They are also tend to be not palatable unless cooked, so I doubt Grok was attracted to them in the first place.

- Peanuts: They are also legumes and have been heavily transformed also through artificial selection to make them more palatable.

While Grok lived in many different environments, it is safe to assume that the base of his diet was animals, some edible leafs and shoots, insects, and whatever fruit he could come across (like berries, for example). The diversity of them would vary depending on where he was or the season.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Riceball Guest

um..Q: what are the toxins and anti-nutrients that are in the legumes?

>__<

madMUHHH Guest

Clint pretty much beat me there.

This is exactly what I wanted to say too. Grok would probably eat masses of chocolate bars if he could. The reason we like sweet things is because in the past sweet things were good for us. Fruit and vegetables were an important source of vitamins and nutrients and Grok would have eatem ethem whenever he got a chance. But considering how scarce sweet things were in the past, chocolate bars may even be too sweet for Grok.

Things are a little different and a little more messed up now, though. Chocolate bars clearly don't contain that much vitamins. And Clint already mentioned the most important part:

It's not about what Grok would eat, it's about what he ate. Compared to the time we lived as hunter gatherers, we have only been growing grains for a very short period of time and our bodies still are much better adapted to the hunter gatherer lifestyle. So it's about eating that stuff our bodies are designed to eat to get the greatest benefit from our food.

natalienw Guest

Thanks for the replies so far. I am just trying to wrap my mind around not eating some foods that are still clearly from nature, yet the primal lifestyle says not to eat them. I know that when I stick to foods that are geared toward the primal eating style, I do tend to feel much better. I was eating these foods before I even found this "diet" but now am wondering about other natural foods. Some mention they don't eat nightshades- why is this? I love eggplant and peppers and to me, it is completely unprocessed and natural. What about pure unsweetened cocoa? That is my sensible vice for sure! I will continue to research all this though there is a lot to read through on this site!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Picture yourself hungry and wondering in a fertile land in times when humans had no knowledge about agriculture. What would you eat? I find that line of thought helpful when deciding what's primal and what's not

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

On the topic of wandering and being hungry, I want to know the story behind the first Grok or Grokette to eat an artichoke. I can't imagine how the heck someone figured out. "Hmmm, if I cook this for an hour, then pull off all these sharp spikey things, then scrape off all this hairy stuff, I just betcha the middle part is delicious!"

Anonymous Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

some paleo people try to eat exactly the way that man would have eaten 10,000 years ago. 10,000 years ago, man didn't exist on the continents of north/south america & therefore didn't have access to members of the nightshade family, potatoes and corn -and probably other things.

It wasn't until Europeans came to the new world did these plants end up in Europe. Therefore, they're not what man would have been eating 10,000 years ago.

In a more generic sense, a lot of it comes down to the amount of carbohydrates in the food itself. A cup of lentils ends up being around 40g of carbs. For me, at least, that's nearly 1/2 of my carb intake for the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast