Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Grok had access to other foods... page 2

jpippenger Guest

Primal Fuel

Lectins are one of the main toxins that are in some of the "natural" foods that we are supposed to avoid. The parts of legumes and grains that we eat are the reproductive part of a plant, i.e, seeds. The plants have a lot of resources invested in their seeds and don't want them to be eaten. Therefore they produce a natural pesticide to prevent the seed from being digested. These pesticides wreak havoc on us as we haven't evolved to tolerate them.

We eventually learned that if we cook them we can eat them, but in their natural state they can be quite toxic.

Leaves and roots and tubers on the other hand are more expendable. The plants that we eat, don't bother adding pesticides to them and we can digest them without in a raw state.

Fruit, is a whole different ball game. Plants design fruit to be eaten. That is why it is so sweet and tasty. However, the seeds within the fruit are often toxic. Few animals are actually able to digest the seeds. They are merely excreted as waste after the fruit is eaten and the seeds are then able to reproduce.

The main reason that tomatoes and peppers are avoided is that they cause heartburn in many people. However, if you can tolerate them, they are many benefits to eating them.

Clint is offline Senior Member

A couple of other things I'd like to mention. I like to think that a lot of "how did Grok figure out he could eat that?" probably came from a near starving Grok. He probably saw an animal grazing on something and tried to kill it. When he failed and was starving he thought, "What the hell, if that animal can eat it and survive, maybe I can too!" I don't know, just something I like to picture in my head.

Second, sugar is, unfortunately, a thing we are born craving. That's what's in breast milk: lactose. That's a sugar and babies instinctively know to get it. We just take it to the extreme with candy and sweets when we get older, but nature gave you that sugar craving and you're stuck with it

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

The main reason that tomatoes and peppers are avoided is that they cause heartburn in many people. However, if you can tolerate them, they are many benefits to eating them. </blockquote>

Actually, Nightshades cause arthritis and joint pains. They are pretty much all toxic, contain nicotine and work as adjuvants.

I don't know what these benefits you mention are?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

jpippenger Guest

"I don't know what these benefits you mention are?"

Nutritional Value of Tomato

Tomatohas been known to comprise of the following nutrients:

Vitamin A

Vitamin C

Vitamin K

Fiber

Carbohydrate

Potassium

Iron

Lycopene (an Antioxidant)

Some amounts of Phosphorus, Sulfur and Potassium

Tomatoes have also been associated with low content of calories, fats and sodium.

Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Tomatoes

The presence of antioxidants in tomatoes is said to be helpful in cleansing the body, of toxic compounds.

Lycopene, present in tomatoes, has been known to neutralize free radicals and cut the risk of prostate cancer.

Those who eat raw tomatoes have been found to have much less risk of developing rectal, colon or stomach cancer.

It is believed that tomatoes block the effects of nitrosamines and thus, reduce the risk of lung cancer.

Researches have suggested that eating tomatoes might help reduce the risk of heart attack.

The vitamin K present in tomatoes helps in keeping the bones strong and healthy.

Paneristi is offline Member

HONEY ...

Tarlach is offline Member

Of course tomatoes have some vitamins (as do all plant materials). It doesn't mean they are good for you.

The Datura, belladonna and mandrake (same family as tomato) shares similar qualities, but will cause delirious states and death.

All members of the Solanaceae family (tomato family) are often rich in alkaloids whose toxicity to humans and animals ranges from mildly irritating to fatal in small quantities.

I'd rather get my vitamins and antioxidants from safe sources and avoid joint pain and arthritis.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12