Thread: Hello :) New with workout question page

alydar is offline Member

Hello :) New with workout question

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi! I've been lurking on this site and forum for about two and a half weeks and I must say - I'm sold!! I've totally switched my eating to primal (it wasn't awful to start with, actually much better than most, but primal is a whole new delicious ball game! ). Also, for the last 3 weeks I've been doing a workout program called TurboFire with Chalene Johnson. It involves:

2 HIIT workouts per week,
    1-2 toning/core/sculpting per week,
    1 rest day per week,
    and anywhere from 30mins - 55mins cardio to fill in the rest of the week.

A little background/info:
    I'm female, mid 30's, 5'11" approx. 138lbs right now, have had 3 babies (done! ). On and off during and between pregnancies I used the Turbo Jam dvds with great results and that's why I recently purchased the new TurboFire series a month ago.

After a week into the program I started eating primal and whoa! The last bit of baby weight came off and I started toning up really well. I'm floored by the results of this combo so far.

Then last week I downloaded the PBF and finally last night got to read it. It sounds good and it seems like it has a few common elements with the TurboFire. My question is: given that the TurboFire has HIIT and strength and core work, would this qualify as a PBF program to some degree?

Truthfully, I'm hesitant to drop the program. I like what's happening to my body. I walked for about 45 min this morning with my mom - I felt like I accomplised nothing. I know that's probably not true but still......so later this afternoon I did a 25 min HIIT workout and feel better. It's probably just my mentality, right?

Anyway, will using the TurboFire be ok or would doing so be working against me?

Thanks!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    It's fine. Stick with the workouts you enjoy.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I agree with arthurb. I just added Jazzercise back in, which (gasp!) is a group cardio workout and Mark's pretty dismissive about those in the book. But the fact is I love it....I get to dance! I've only made one change: per PB principles, I have made an effort to stay tuned into what my body is feeling and just have fun dancing, rather than really pushing myself to higher intensity just because the instructor suggests it.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    I agree with lizch...I tend to agree with most of your posts!

Anyway, may I add a keep up the good work as well.

The one thing I will suggest is that it is wise to switch up a program every few months or so. For example, I am working on a strength program, then I will go to EDT, then HIIT, Yoga, Crossfit, OPT, Bodyweight, Kettlebell, and so on. Doing this keeps me interested and helps to generate a specific focus for a period of time. I did endurance training for years, now I don't want to touch the stuff. I did crossfit for years, again, I want something different. This is my personality, however I find it to be more successful (for me) when I do a program for 1-2 months and then cycle through the others.

By cycling through the programs, you will at least have an intro into lots of stuff over a few years, and then can make a solid decision on those that you like best, then work on cycling through those each year, adding in something new here and there.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmacphee View Post
    I agree with lizch...I tend to agree with most of your posts!
    I love you more than codeguy
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

alydar is offline Member
    Thank you everyone for the positive responses and encouragement! I'm actually enjoying the workouts (despite the cussing I give the woman during them lol). Good to know I'm doing ok there!

I'll probably stick with this program for a little while but yoga really has me interested, too, so I may start adding that in somewhere.

I love reading all the wonderful experiences on this forum! Warning: I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks again!

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    liz made me smile and laugh!