Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Frustration page

Alice is offline Member

Vitamin D Frustration

Primal Fuel
    Primal/Paleo diet is the closest diet to what I am eating that I can find so I figure this is best place to post. I have allergy to fish, shellfish, dairy as well as celiac disease and I avoid all grains and legumes (even pseudograins). No sugars, coffee, alcohol, or sugar substitutes. Practically everything I eat is fresh from scratch. Meat is 100% grass fed, lots of vegetables and moderate amount of tart fruits. Also lots of nuts and saturated and monounsaturated fat (mostly from coconut and olive oils). I do eat potatoes, dates and yams because my family has been eating those for generations.

Had blood work, including cholesterol and CBC, iron, B12, everything was great/normal, with one exception - Vitamin D was 20. I have never had a Vitamin D test before so I don't know what my prior levels were. I live near the equator, am naturally rather light skinned (but from sun moderately tan, and I do not burn). I spend about 1 good hour in the direct sun on most days between 10-noon when I am jogging (unless it's cloudy/rainy). I feel fine and have lots of energy, don't seem to feel symptoms of D deficiency. Less active family member who goes out in sun maybe 2 times a week has vitamin D level of 70.

I am being told to take vitamins by doctor who ran the test but refuse to take any vitamins or pills. I had a CT scan last year and had a reaction to the dye that was so bad I can no longer tolerate any foods with additives or take any sort of pills, including vitamins... it was a nightmare and not going to go over what happened unless asked. 3 months after the CT I felt completely alright again and got my energy back, and it has now been over a year since I had the CT scan. However I still cannot take pills or foods with additives without having a reaction, and became allergic to fish and shellfish.

I am not going to the doctor for this because I already have gone for 2nd and 3rd opinion - I told them what was happening to me after the CT dye and it was shrugged off as absolutely not related to CT dye. The last thing I need is another iatrogenic illness from medical procedures that aren't necessary.

Could this be why my D is low or am I doing something wrong in terms of diet/sun? Any advice to help boost vitamin D?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Alice,
    Ohhhh Myyyyy Gawd . . Sorry to hear about the results of your scan. That is a HORROR story. I've heard of other horror stories from the CT scan.

By the way, if you have noticed, NBC (owned by GE maker of CT Scanning equipment) is actively promoting Colonoscopy Scans. Its all about MONEY.

Can you take Cod Liver Oil? It contains 1,360 IU of Vitamin D per tblsp. Cilikat's Research has found that we need 1,000 IU per 25 lbs of body weight.
    See Table 3 for the BEST sources of vitamin D here:
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp
    This is also a GREAT reference for your Vitamin D:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...el/vitamin%20D

One last thought. Perhaps you can DETOX that scan dye out of your system? We take 1 tablespoon a day of the following algae, D-E products well known for detoxing the body:

Ingredients in our morning Smoothie:
    =================================
    * Spirulina 1 tblspn
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...a/premium.html
    http://www.articlesbase.com/suppleme...a-2989973.html

* Chlorella 1 tblspn
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...chlorella.html
    http://www.evolutionhealth.com/free_..._chlorella.htm

* Diatomacious Powder [D-E] 1 tblspn
    http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

* 1 ounce Coconut Milk

* Favorite Fruit, blueberries, strawberried or whatever.

* Almond Milk

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-03-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Presumably it's a 'no' to the cod liver oil because of the fish allergy. This is really awkward, isn't it? That whole list of food sources is almost all fish or dairy - apart from the liver and the egg yolks. I'd wait for Cillakat to find this thread and advise on whether eating liver actually helps your D status, given that it contains a lot of A. How many egg yolks can you eat?

Supplements... well, the D I take from Solgar has 2200IU per capsule and contains microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, D3 and magnesium stearate. That's a reassuringly short ingredients list (capsules tend to be simpler than pills), and you could make it even shorter by opening the capsules. All I can suggest is shopping round, reading ingredients lists and experimenting. (If your doctors are like the ones I've met over here, I wouldn't assume that any supplement they prescribe is better than what you can find for yourself.)

Grizz is offline Banned
    I would not automatically assume "NO" to cod liver oil without her at least testing it. Her reactions to fish may not mean ALL fish.

What about another possibility? She could have a reaction to the Gell in the gelltab. Maybe Alice can better use the Vitamin D Liquid?
    And like you say, maybe she can use some forms of Vitamin D but not others.

Here is another possibility, maybe Alice can tolerate 2,000 IU 4 times a day, but have a reaction to 8,000 IU all at one time?

Alice, is it feasible to test small amounts of various Vitamin D products to see if you can tolerate them? What exactly is your reaction to pills & fish?

Best to all,
    Grizz

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Fair point about the cod liver oil and assumptions. However, it's generally a bigger source of A than D (different brands, different proportions), and there's been some argument about whether supplementation with it will actually help or damage D levels because of that.

There's a liquid form of D available? Sounds interesting - and as if it should be possible to make that with even fewer additives than capsules.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I'd retest D. The test result may have just been incorrect....there are significant problems with the older LC/MS tests versus the new 'gold standard' which is the DiaSorin/LIASON test.

Ordering the test from grassrootshealth.net ($65 with no international shipping charge) would circumvent any reliability issues with testing in your locale. They use ZRT who does the test right, every time.

If you do need to supplement, Nature's Answer D3 drops are just extra virgin olive oil and d3. Nothing else.

Personally, I would avoid cod liver oil unless you can find one that has at least a 4:1 ratio of D to A.

Katherine
    (see my D doc for more info)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Grizz is offline Banned
    Hillary,
    Yes indeed, there is a bunch of liquid forms of Vitamin D and even Vitamin D sprays.

There was a health scare about Gelltabs a few years ago, and maybe some people are still sensitive. Gelltabs are made from beef tissues, and some people are afraid of the Gelltabs being infected with Mad Cow Disease Prions. Prions cannot be "killed" by cooking, and they are not even alive. Prions are some kind of monster chemical that infects the brain and "Grows" within. If ever there was a Monster from Outer Space, Prions would certainly qualify. However the use of Cow Protein to feed other cows is now banned in most countries, so should no longer be a problem. More here:
    http://factoidz.com/gelatin-made-fro...ts-of-animals/

Best to all,
    Grizz

Alice is offline Member
    I can’t eat any seafood products, even have reaction to kelp and sea salt (I used to use a gray celtic sea salt and have reaction to even that). Going to stay away from fish oils, and I think Spirunlina is a sea vegetable (?) so I would not want to try that either.

I eat 2 pastured eggs for breakfast (from a local farm) about 3-5 days a week depending on availability. Beef liver about 2-3 times a month again depending on availibility.

I became allergic to seafood after the CT scan. Reaction I get is rash, burning of limbs (same burning I got when I got CT dye injected), severe fatigue, breathlessness, pressure headache and partial deafness in both ears. Had these symptoms at the hospital when I blacked out a week after the CT (at this time the arm the dye went into had red streaks and veins were swollen) they tested BP and it was extremely low but they still were telling me it was not CT reaction as it would have happened “immediately” after dye injection - and I did not start to get sick until 2 days after the dye.

When I take pills I get severe fatigue/breathlessness. It’s a horrible feeling like the life has been drained out of me. I had tried various multivitamins (caplets, gel, gummy) and its all the same. It usually is resovled by the next day but I would prefer not to go through with it again. I am suspecting it is likely either an allergy or contaminant but because vitamins have so many ingredients I cannot pinpoint what is causing the problem. I have also considered the possibly I have developed a sensitivity to additives after the dye reaction that may improve with time.

Will look into Nature’s Answer D3 drops. Did not know it came in non-pill form with simple ingredients.
    Edit: called a few stores no one carries this brand. Liquid D3 they did have had multiple ingredients. Is there a reputable online shop to order this from?
    Last edited by Alice; 10-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.

edizzle is offline Junior Member
    Agree with cillakat that you should retest vit D. If you're fair-skinned, living near the equator, 1 hour of sun a day should be plenty to make enough vit D. Are you wearing sunscreen? It blocks out most of the wavelengths necessary for vit D synthesis.

The other possibility would be to look for medical grade vit D which might presumably have fewer contaminants/additives but you'd have to check what it's packaged with...

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alice... Iherb.com. If you go to cillkat's signature and click on her links you can find the liquid D by name. I ordered mine from iherb.com and it was under $10... and should last me 5-7 months. Pretty good deal...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast