Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal "friendly" doctors? page

lakina is offline Junior Member

Primal "friendly" doctors?

Shop Now
    Does anyone know how one would go about finding a doctor that was pro-primal or at least pro paleo/real foods/saturated fat and anti-grains and sugar?

I generally avoid doctors, doctors offices and hospitals and can count the number of times I've been to one in 37 years with less than the fingers on my hands...BUT I have a funny little lump that my DH really wants me to get checked out, so I'm in search of a doctor (in the Tacoma Washington area) who would be comfortable with my lifestyle.

It sure would be nice if Mark or someone put together a database or searchable list...maybe there is one somewhere that I'm missing (if so PLEASE point me in that direction!).

Mollymoe is offline Senior Member
    Jimmy Moore has started a list of low carb friendly doctors. I guess it's more aimed at people looking for weight loss support, but it might be a good place to start - http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I would think that if you found a naturopath or at the very least a DO instead of an MD it would be helpful.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Find a naturopath and ask on the phone if he/she is open to something other than the USDA food pyramid. (My naturopath actually had that posted on her website.)

Ninety percent of MDs will be no-go.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollymoe View Post
    Jimmy Moore has started a list of low carb friendly doctors. I guess it's more aimed at people looking for weight loss support, but it might be a good place to start - http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/
    My experience: I used his list to find an obgyn earlier this year. I mentioned to her that I used to eat low-carb, trying to be vague about it. Her response was "Oh god, I hope you don't still do that!" I sorta had a feeling she wasn't on board when I saw her ...
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if it's just my local Crossfit or more general, but Albany Crossfit has a ton of doctors training there and eating paleo. I suggest contacting your local Crossfit affiliate and seeing if anyone there can recommend a doctor.

PWG

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I can't avoid doctors because at my age (69) I need to get everything checked out! However, I say as little as possible about my lifestyle, and I've noticed that doctors only care about whether or not I smoke. I am much more interested in their medical expertise than whether or not they approve of my WOE.

Interestingly, although I've lost a total of 175 lbs over the past few years (340-165), my primary doctor has never asked what I've done to accomplish this! My endo, however, is very interested, and although he's a great guy, I don't use terms like low carb or primal. I've told him that I've cut out all grains, dairy, sugar and artificial sweeteners, and he thinks that's just fine. He told me that he wished he could get other patients to do that.

I find that I offer information only to doctors who ask and then I'm careful not to use any of the 'red flag' terms. Doctors who are opposed to low carb generally have their info from the media rather than from Taubes!

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    My husband is reading Robb Wolfs book and he mentioned that there are plans to put together a list of paleo Dr.'s. I hope it happens as I would love to find one. Though the chances of getting one here are very slim.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Interestingly, although I've lost a total of 175 lbs over the past few years (340-165), my primary doctor has never asked what I've done to accomplish this!
    I'm flabbergasted at this.

Quote Originally Posted by lakina View Post
    so I'm in search of a doctor (in the Tacoma Washington area) who would be comfortable with my lifestyle.
    The National College of Natural Medicine is in Portland, and they might be able to tell you if any of their graduates are practicing in the Tacoma area:

http://www.ncnm.edu/

My naturopath graduated from there, and he practices in Salem, OR. I believe from the discussions we've had that he would support PB.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast