Thread: Baked Pancakes/German Pancakes: The results! page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Baked Pancakes/German Pancakes: The results!

So I looked at a LOT of german pancake recipes to decide how to primalize mine. I followed the original almost to a T, but subbed coconut flour instead of wheat, reduced the total amount of flour, and increased the eggs.

It didn't turn out much like a pancake--more like bread or thin sheetcake. Honestly, it reminded me a LOT of cornbread. It was moist and not "sweet" on it is own, so it could easily lend itself to sweet and savory variations.

I put hot cinnamon apples cooked in butter on mine and it was DELISH! My step-daughter and husband put butter and maple syrup on theirs. Said it was just like thick pancakes.

My husband I talked about putting cheese and ground beef in there for a hearty breakfast to go (kind of like sausage and biscuit) and I was thinking it would make a GREAT bread pudding! I was thinking of letting it cool, pouring coconut milk over it with more cinnamon and a few raisins, and then heating it up in the oven. Yummy!

Anyway, without further ado, here's the recipe photo and nutrient break down

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36196071@N06/5044656432/ for picture

9 Eggs
    1 Cup milk (I image coconut milk would work good too)
    3/4 Cup coconut flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    5 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Whip the egg whites separately until glossy and peaky. In a separate bowl, combine wet and dry ingredients until smooth. Fold the whites into the mixture in sections, and don't worry if the whites don't fully incorporate.

Pour the batter into a greased 13x9 x 2 inch baking pan. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or when a knife inserted comes out clean.

I cut my pan so that there are about 15 squares, and according to live strong each square has

104 calories
    7.5 grams of fat
    5.33 grams of carbs
    4.93 grams of protein
    2.4 grams of fiber

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    That looks wonderful!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Yum-o!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! I bet if you took out the cinnamon/vanilla, you could make primal biscuits and gravy with some ground beef and a cream-based gravy.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    Awesome! I bet if you took out the cinnamon/vanilla, you could make primal biscuits and gravy with some ground beef and a cream-based gravy.
    I definitely agree! I'm agree to try this with a good number of variations

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made these in a 13x9 pan, cut it into 4 slices ( go big or go home ) and then topped it with coconut milk that I blended with blueberries.

Came out to like 550 calories, 25 carbs which left me plenty of room for a huge peice of sausage to go with it.

Awesome stuff.