Thread: New to Primal Blueprint and Primal Fitness page

Old Glory is offline Junior Member

New to Primal Blueprint and Primal Fitness

Hi I am new to all of this. I made the decision to try Primal after a recommendation from a friend. I have slowly been gaining weight over the past several years struggling to try and shed the pounds. I work a demanding office job that keeps me sedentary all day but I am able to get to the gym during lunch two or three times a week. I had been trying to moderate my caloric intake and hitting the gym a few times a week for spin classes and occasional weight lifting. It did not work to keep the weight off it only made me crave more carbs.

I am overweight (5' 10" 220 med/ frame) but have decent cardio from spinning. My primary fitness goal has been to loose weight and strengthen my legs for skiing. My current efforts have not resulted in the desired weight loss, but my legs are pretty strong.

I am starting over, reprogramming my body, using the Primal Blueprint. I have been eating a primal diet for a week now. I have not craved carbs yet. I even cooked a pasta meal for my family and just poured sauce over a couple of hamburger patties, with no desire to partake in the pasta and pasta was a favorite meal!

Now for my question. I am developing my Fitness Program based on Primal Fitness, but I still want to focus on my legs for skiing. Here is what I propose:

Day 1: Sprint – Spinning Class

Day 2: Move Slowly – Walk to work 30min round trip. 30 - 45 min no more than 60% max heart rate stationary bike or elliptical.

Day 3: WOW – Squats 4 sets; Romanian Dead Lifts 4 sets; Leg Extension 4 sets; Leg curl 4 sets. Walk to work 30min round trip.

Day 4: Move Slowly – Walk to work 30min round trip. 30 – 45 min no more than 60% max heart rate stationary bike or elliptical.

Day 5: LHT – Progressive Body Weight Strength Training. Walk to work 30min round trip.

Day 6: WOW Squats 4 sets; Romanian Dead Lifts 4 sets; Leg Extension 4 sets; Leg curl 4 sets. Walk to work 30min round trip.

Day 7: Move Slowly – 30 – 45 min no more than 60% max heart rate stationary bike or elliptical. Play

Mark recommends four play sessions each week. I am substituting some weight lifting for my play. How does this look?

Keep in mind my goals of overall fitness, weight loss, and prep for ski season. In that order.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
    Last edited by Old Glory; 10-02-2010 at 02:51 PM.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a primal fitness expert (I mostly just walk a lot and make a conscious effort to use my muscles to lift moderately heavy things) so I'll let others comment on that part.

But I did wonder about whether you're missing the intent of the "play" part of primal. I don't think counting yet more exercise as play is quite the point...I think it's more of a "let loose, be a kid" kinda play. Sure, it could involve exercise (and probably will) but I wonder if weight lifting is the kind of exhilarating fun Mark meant? I think he intends real laugh-out-loud play so that we can forget our demanding office jobs and exercise programs and food issues.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Hi Liz thanks for the feedback. That is part of my question. With an 8:30 - 6:00 job, and a 1.5 hour commute each way, it does not leave much time for play during the week. While time in the gym is not LOL playtime it is way more fun than sitting at my desk! I have to have my fun at the gym. On the weekends I fish, go to the beach, swim a little, and walk. During the Winter I ski most weekends. I want to be sure my "Gym Play" is not over doing it.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think that's the risk....that by making weightlifting your play time, you're overtraining and stressing your body. Why not take that time you currently spend weightlifting and do something fun outside instead? (Note that this is partly directed at myself....I know I need to play more! I have three kids at home, so I have instant playmates who are delighted when mom actually wants to play, but I still don't do it enough)

Though now you mention your weekends, maybe you ARE getting enough play anyway? Fishing, time on the beach, swimming, ski-ing...those sound more playful than weightlifting.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    hey, you're the same weight and an inch shorter than i was when i started losing weight! (down to around 200 now)

Hi Jason -

How long did that take?

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i probably started around january of this past year, and got down in 4 or 5 months.
    but i didn't restrict too much, and it was cw. ive been stuck there ever since. hence, me being here.