Thread: Thoughts on protein powder/shakes? page

Atlas is offline Member

Thoughts on protein powder/shakes?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

I am new to Primal, at least in terms of actually applying the principles to my life. I have been mostly vegetarian for over 10 years, and it is a big change to eat meat-- which I don't like-- on a regular basis. Yesterday I made a conscious effort to chose high-protein foods over high-carb foods, yet when I calculated my totals at the end of the day, carbohydrates still constituted about 60% of my caloric intake.

What are your thoughts on adding protein powder? I am hesitant to try it because it is not a whole food, and for many years I've only eaten unprocessed foods (and have made all of my own breads, crackers, nut butters, juices, etc.) It seems counter to my philosophy to take protein powder, but I can't see another way to get enough protein, as nuts and beans also contain a lot of carbohydrates.

What are your thoughts on protein powder? Do you use whey, goat, "raw sprouts," or something else... or avoid it altogether?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, and good luck to you. Sounds like this change will be rougher for you than for those of us who love meat. I will just say that whey protein isolate is relatively "pure" protein and has almost no flavor, it just thickens whatever you add to it. The bigger problem is that there is no mention of FAT in your post, only your concern about protein. Your goal really should be to get your fat calories above around 50% at first, and at least around 15% protein or so. Avocadoes, olive oil, cream, butter, coconut products, etc. = those should be the priority for things you try to add first.

edit: I use why protein in post workout shakes, but 1) I'm a pragmatist not a philosopher, and 2) Its part of an attempt to build muscle for me. So I'm not recommending it in general, but I do use it.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I don't care for protein powder, but it's not a matter of it not being primal or anything. I just personally don't care for it. I do agree with tfarny that your focus should be fat. I also suggest you make friends with fish for your protein because that might be easier for you to eat, coming from vegetarianism, than red meat.

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    www.allproscience.com grass fed whey protein, also a vegan protein.

Atlas is offline Member
    Thanks for your encouragement.
    I have been neglecting fat. Because I ate a few tablespoons of flaxseed (with oatmeal!) each morning, and peanut butter (with crackers!) for lunch I assumed I was getting enough fat. Using FitDay has shown otherwise.
    Today I increased the fat percentage and am slightly over 50% as of mid-afternoon. It feels scary, though... I'm not psychologically/emotionally used to eating so much fat. I think after today, I'll have to slowly work up to that much... maybe 5% extra per day to get used to the idea.

Open Palm is offline Junior Member
    I am an advocate of it. A good whey protein isolate offers a very complete amino acid profile, which not only aids in muscle recovery but also immune function and combats cellular degeneration. Although it's not exactly primal, I would consider a source of enough high quality nutrients to be of great benefit.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Why not post a day or two of your typical meals, and read some of the journals that describe all of our typical foods. That might give you a better sense of what this really is, it sounds like the food is kind stressing you out. And peanut butter on crackers? It is so interesting how differently "health food" can be defined!