Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating one meal, evening or morning? page

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

I will be getting 4 days when I can go primal. I am thinking of eating one big meat and fat meal a day, to be as primal as possible. Rest of the day will be a long fast.

I am not yet sure whether I should eat it in the morning or the night. Night is good because fasting on an empty stomach is easier. While Morning is good because sleeping on a heavy stomach is difficult. I will not have much time after office, to give a couple of hours between eating and sleeping.

I cannot eat it at the ideal time of 4-6pm in the evening.

What do you think would be better?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hmm, as many answers as people I think!

For what it's worth, you'd have to be out hunting (ie daytime) before you got your antelope dinner - which implies nightime eating.

However you might be able to function during the day better with some food in you. Although thinking logically, in that case all your blood would be heading for your intestines rather than your brain...

Personally speaking I can eat a big lunch and forget about dinner, so for me 11-12 in the day would be best - just to be awkward!

I'd try a night time meal to start with and see how you feel. You can always change. Good luck!

Tarlach is offline Member

I eat mine at 7pm.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

maba is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hijack. I posted this question on the supplements thread after you responded to my supplements question. Since you may not have had an opportunity to see it, I'm posting it here again.

@Anand: You said you're mostly vegetarian. How are you "primalizing" your diet? I'm from India too and have vegetarians in my family who I would like to start eating healthy. What constitutes your vegetarian meal?

Madame P is offline Junior Member

I think it depends how you feel. I tend to be less hungry in the morning so I eat mostly at night. But, I sleep pretty well with a stomach full of meat and fat.

(Sleeping on a full stomach of carbs, however, was a very different story, as the digestive difficulties would disrupt my sleep.)

@maba

I am not really vegetarian. But I am married to a vegetarian. So I cannot go completely paleo. Now that she will be going to her parents house for those 4 days, I will have the chance to try complete paleo.

I will be going on a completely meat diet, with little vegetables (except for cooking purposes), to see how it affects me.

I will be using a lot of fermented cream, not really paleo, but Indians are very well adapted to dairy. And cream is nearly full fat. I wanted to have some yogurt for marinating, but fermented cream would be a better choice.

I don't really primalize my diet. I just try to keep it as healthy as possible, and try to reduce wheat as much as possible.

My normal diet is eggs and yogurt in breakfast. Chicken, vegetables, and fruits, for lunch. Dinner is with the family, and I eat whatever is available.

My wife has started to understand that what I am talking about makes sense. But she still has a lot of fears. We have gotten rid of all vegetable oils. We eat mostly ghee, and a small amount of mustard oil for cooking vegetables. My wife still hasn't completely given up on sweets, but is moving slowly towards it.

She is not trying to give up wheat. The problem is that she doesn't think that it is bad for her. Still we eat dosas and other south indian rice/lentil fermented things, quite frequently. We also ferment our wheat dough. We are not improving beyond that. But we have a whole life left, to keep changing a little by little ;-).

@madam

I am also tending towards eating in the night. I feel less hungry in the morning, but probably will feel more hungry if I eat in the morning.

maba is offline Senior Member

Thanks much for your detailed reply Anand. I'm trying to get my parents to eat less grains and more meat. I've convinced them to use coconut oil for cooking. It's been hard to convince them to use ghee and eat red meat and eggs because of the contradictory advice they get from their physician. My mum has high cholesterol and has been on statins for 5 years and according to her Dr., most paleo foods are no-no. We traditionally ate a lot of dosas and idlis, but my parents have switched to eating rotis because of the misguided health advice that wheat is better than rice.

Do try to get your hands on "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. She has traditional recipes from various cultures (including India) that use fermentation to mitigate the effects of phytic acids and lectins in grains and beans.

bcreager Guest

Here's a book about that very thing, paleo-like (this diet is higher in carbs) diet with one meal a day:

http://www.warriordiet.com/

-bcreager

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm doing a 1 meal/ day this week for a greater impact on achieving Ketosis (I wake up every morning after a IF w/ ketosis day feeling and looking like I lost 5 lbs!!!!).

It's easier for me to just continue my sleep-induced fast, so I will go until dinner (especially since hubby and kids will be eating dinner too. It's so hard to fast when everyone else in the house is eating food in front of you!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast