Thread: Breakfast Cake (ok, baked pancakes) page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Breakfast Cake (ok, baked pancakes)

Shop Now
    I was lamenting today how pancake mornings are not peaceful mornings because only so many pancakes can be made at one time no the stove and consequently we're all up and down. It just feels disjointed.

So I got to wondering, why not pour batter into a a cake pan? And bake them? And cut them like super thin sheet cake?

So, I'm planning to try this tomorrow. Has anyone ever tried this before? Or, does anyone have an idea of which recipe for primal pancakes would suit this best?

Thanks for any input

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Sounds kind of like a German pancake, I would sub the traditional flour for a nut flour (haven't tried it myself, don't know if it will puff up quite the same, but those things are delicious)

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks unsuperb! I googled german pancakes and that is exactly what I'm going for! It's good to have something to go off of.

I looked at a lot of standard recipes and attempted a primal version: subbed coconut flour for the wheat flour, increased the eggs and fat to compensate for coconut flour. Here's what I came up with for ingredients:

9 eggs
    1 cup milk
    3/4 cup coconut flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    5 tablespoons butter, melted
    teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

I also found a recipe online for wheat-free german pancakes, but it uses corn starch with coconut flour The recipe is linked here. I'm leery of my own "adaption" but I'm not about to use over 1/4 cup of corn starch either. Does anyone think I'm missing something in my adaption or have a way to get around corn starch in the other recipe?